Headphones

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Not necessary but personally I don't detect without them. Reason number 1 is to block external noise or at least, keep it to a minimum, especially wind and traffic.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always use them.

Hear fainter signals, removes distractions, saves a lot of battery life, keeps snoopy folks uninformed. Also gives you a chance to ignore them (if they yabber at you just tap the headphones and keep detecting).

Often I use a single ear Rattler. That keeps one ear for situational awareness but still brings the fainter signals in.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't use over the ear headphones...it's too hot and humid here. I do use ear buds, or did. I purchased a cheap blue tooth setup, and what a difference, being untethered.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never use headphones while detecting in the woods. Don't want anyone sneaking up on me and there's really no need, since the woods are usually deathly quiet.

At ballfields and schools, I only wear them if they're near a busy street. My hearing is trashed from too many concerts and decades of using power tools, so I avoid using headphones as much as possible. I may be missing a few signals, but I don't think it makes that much of a difference detecting without them.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve tried and just can’t get used to them. I hate not being able to hear what’s going on around me. Now if I’m hunting near a highway they’re a must have.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had quite a number of different sets, have 4 different right now.

I hate them!!! Uncomfortable and makes my ears sore, sweaty, and annoying.

But, I don't leave home without them.

A major negative about not using them = attracts kids of all types and a zillion questions + "Can I have that?"

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear them but alternate which ear is doing the listening....gotta keep track of my surroundings and treat each sweaty ear equaly.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always. I don't want to disturbe and beeing disturbed.

OP
OP
rjeffw

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info, thanks guys. I most of where I hunt is pretty quiet and private. I am working on a permission of our library, that was a all girls school built in the 20's but for the most part I am out in the country.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What??? I couldn't hear you...had my headphones on. 🎧

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is my compromise...

I can still hear what's going on around me while hearing clearer signals. Most of us do it every day and don't even think about it...talking on our cell phone in one ear while doing something else.

Sorry for the fuzzy image, click on it and it'll clear up.

DetectorPro Rattler.jpg

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm a little hard of hearing(to hear my bride of 43 yrs. Say it) so I use the Back phones WS4 with my Deus. I can hear the little high tones some better plus I can wear a summer brim hat with those. Good question.:icon_thumright:

WawaDuane

Oct 12, 2013
Northern Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wear mine all the time..(actually my Garrett ones just died yesterday). I occasionally go without in the spring in the bush to hopefully scare away any black bears.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear them but always have one ear open just to hear if someone walks up on me. I don't really like wearing them in the heat because they start pooling up sweat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions