Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was nailed by a slug looking caterpillar in AL.

We drove the car back through the woods to camp. On the way out trying to navigate the washed out path of a road I had my window down. I set my arm right on something that stung the crap out of me. It hurt! It left about a 1 1/2 in welt on my forearm. I have no clue what it was and by memory the only way I can describe it was it looked like a mixture of a tanish slug and a caterpillar, it had barbs all over it, or...Stingers? We were out in the middle of no where so I put it in a water bottle and gave it to my wife incase something were to happen, they would at least know what got me. Of course no one in the area had "ever seen such a thing!" Ya..That's my luck!!! It left a welt and hurt real bad for a few hours, like being stung by a ton of bees in one spot. My arm ached for a couple days, part of that may have been from jerking it away when I got stung. But I didn't get sick or die. Still have no clue what it was called. Looked nasty though! I looked at her and said(half crying!!).."what the hell is this?".

Last week, here in GA, we had black looking caterpillars with stingers, spines, or barbs....Whatever you want to call them. They were all over in the drive and yard. I kept picking them up with a shovel and throwing them in the weeds so our son wouldn't grab one. No clue what they are...But they look nasty too!.

And as a side note, I just learned not to play with the cute armadillo's. They carry leprosy!! Had no idea! Here my wife are feeding them at camp and they are curious so they come almost right to you. I guess you don't even want to get scratched by one.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions