Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was watching wicked tuna is on the Outer Banks and Marciano just smokes extremely way too much so off I went to the Walgreens at 1 AM

It happens....I can't say anything, I made it like 3 hours today. When I'm not trying I can make it all day some days not even thinking about it. Then when you try? Your counting the minutes and the clock goes sooooooo sssssllllooooowwwwwww! I know if I make it past the 3 day mark at some point, that seemed to be the line where it tapered off for me last time. But that was years ago too!!

Hey my wife said one of the times she quit. She set 2 out in the morning to have with coffee, took 1 too work with her at lunch, then had one after dinner, and 1 before bed. For a week or so, then cut it down from that. She claimed that it gave you something to look forward to and didn't seem to be as much of a shock. :dontknow: Like, I'll make it to lunch no problem! I have a cig in my car! and so on....

I've never been able to do it that way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some one not in charge of them-self. A slave to nicotine.

I been meditating on this and I gotta dissagree with the slavery part Releventchair.

The way I see it it is like a Superman Bizzaro World version of slavery. Here under the earth's yellow sun slavery is often a state of affairs where a slave is beaten for not working. In Bizzaro Slavery, slave gets beaten for working instead of not working.

That's what I am seeing. Maybe slavery isn't a sound analogy but if it is, the slave has one thing entirely under his own control- his own behavior. Nobody lit that cigarette but the person smoking it. Could have taking a beating if he didn't fire up, garuanteed to take a beating after firing up.

So there is still a choice, but you are going to get beat either way. Dont smoke a cigarette? That's a wooping. Light up and smoke?
You better believe that's a wooping.:BangHead:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I been meditating on this and I gotta dissagree with the slavery part Releventchair.

The way I see it it is like a Superman Bizzaro World version of slavery. Here under the earth's yellow sun slavery is often a state of affairs where a slave is beaten for not working. In Bizzaro Slavery, slave gets beaten for working instead of not working.

That's what I am seeing. Maybe slavery isn't a sound analogy but if it is, the slave has one thing entirely under his own control- his own behavior. Nobody lit that cigarette but the person smoking it. Could have taking a beating if he didn't fire up, garuanteed to take a beating after firing up.

So there is still a choice, but you are going to get beat either way. Dont smoke a cigarette? That's a wooping. Light up and smoke?
You better believe that's a wooping.:BangHead:

You could say that.
A slave gear does what it is designed to do. Is it in control of it's fate?
What I mean by slave , is not a laborer owned ,but rather a controlled by other (nicotine in this case) than their own desire or best interest ; entity or object or chemical or , ect..

From my near professional drinking era ....(Today a beer a month or every other month is plenty ,despite the real danger of over indulging again)...
[First the man takes a drink. Then the drink takes a drink. Then the drink takes the man.]

Here's the song from the video's lyrics.
Slaves at a pheasant party (think gunning birds on an estate) are well heeled/moneyed smokers. That's all.

[Now I'm a fellow with a heart of gold
With the ways of a gentleman I've been told
A kind of a fellow that wouldn't even harm a flea
But if me and a certain character met
That guy that invented the cigarette
I'd murder that son of a gun in the first degree
That ain't that I don't smoke myself
And I don't reckon they'll injure your health
I've smoked 'em all my life and I ain't dead yet
But nicotine slaves are all the same
At a pheasant party or a poker game
Everything's gotta stop when they have that cigarette
Smoke smoke smoke that cigarette
Puff puff puff
And if you smoke yourself to death
Tell St Peter at the Golden Gate
That you hate to make him wait
But you just gotta have another cigarette
Now at a game of chance the other night
Ol' Dame Forson wasn't doin' me right
Them kings and queens just kept on comin' round
Well I got a full and I bet it high
But my plug didn't work on a certain guy
He just kept a risin' and a layin' that money down
He's raise me and I'd raise him
I sweated blood I had to sink or swim
He finally called and he didn't raise the bet
I said "aces is full pal how about you?"
He said "I'll tell you in a minute or two
But I just gotta have another cigarette"
Puff puff puff
The other night I had a date with
The cutest gal in the fifty states
A high bred uptown social little dame
She said she loved me and it seemed to me
That things were like they ought a be
So hand in hand we strolled down Lover's Lane
She was oh so far from a chunk of ice
And our smoochin' party was a goin' real nice
So help and I think I'd of been there yet
But I give her a hug and a little squeeze
And she said "Willie excuse me please
But I just gotta have another cigarette"
Puff puff puff
Puff puff puff
Just gotta have another cigarette]
Songwriters: Merle Travis / Tex Williams

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some one not in charge of them-self. A slave to nicotine.

Irrelevantchair you sound like my mother, but she had the guts to say it to my face, but something tells me you wouldn’t being a beta male behind a screen. Take the advice of the Fugio cent.

Now go meditate [emoji304]

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Irrelevantchair you sound like my mother, but she said to my face so I can respect that, but for you I’d take some advice from the Fugio cent.

L.o.l.. Go Ben!
I know what nicotine fits are like. But as you wish I'll....

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On second thought maybe it is appropriate.

"F#$% It!" -says the addict as he leaps off the wagon....[/QUOTE
I was on and off that wagon for 20 years. I am such an Idiot I did not start puffin until I was 23 years old. I had no excuse what so ever. Take comfort in knowing that after 6 months you won't be able to stand the smell of cigarette smoke and you will wonder how you ever smoked for so long.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish ya the best at quitting. I have never smoked in any of my 63 years so I can't relate to someone trying to quit. But....

I watched my dad die from lung cancer. He fought it and quit after 55 years. He died 3 months later. He smoked camel non-filters @ 3 packs p/day. Back in H.S. I tried to get him to quit in 1972. He told me if I broke the 10 minute barrier in the 2 mile run in track he'd quit. I did at the Regional Championships. He quit.... for a week and then told me he's sorry but he can't keep his promise and he didn't. I was touching and loving him upon his last breath at his home.

My wife has been a smoker all her life and she's now 62. 5 months ago she had a breathing "attack" and barely got through it. It was very scary and still she smoked. She was on oxygen but only at night. 2.5 weeks ago she had a horrible attack at our table and I thought she was going to die right there in front of me. 911 called and into the hospital she went. Her lungs are now so weak she cannot even walk across a driveway without oxygen or she has a horrible breathing attack. Now she doesn't smoke... NOW!!!! So what....? the damage is done and I'm sure I'll be there when she dies from smoking also.

But they (smokers) never give a thought to the non-smokers who love them and encourage them to quit.... but want their help from their habit later when failing. It sucks holding, touching and loving someone who struggles to breath and dies in front of you from smoking. I'd like to beat the s*** out of those who smoke in front of children and act like it's alright and "normal". But I always refrain because I don't have a "vote" in their decision. That's all I got to say on this subject... period.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrote out this post before coming here and see that I get to post it right after someone who is very familiar to me when it comes to a quit smoking thread. :hello:

Here goes......

I was kinda thinking this morning after checking out the vibe on this thread that y'all don't want me here and are probably thinking "oh yeah, Mr.Quit smoking with his holier than thou speech about ego and belligerent smokers, blah, blah, blah."
I had more on my mind this morning as there's issues between me and my G.F. and I wrote out an e-mail expressing these "issues" and left the house to go on a simple errand.
I was heading down a street that I have been traveling daily for years.
Right through a school zone that I've faithfully slowed down to the mandatory reduced speed limit every time while looking at the same van that's set up with radar and a camera.
The same van I've taunted daily, calling him a vulture (and other choice words) saying "you'll never get me as I'm mindful of school zones!"

So anyway, as soon as I left the house, I was blurting things out loud in my car on the way about the absurdity of this and that in my relationship, when all of a sudden a see a flash and "open my eyes " to see I was speeding in that school zone.
I know for a fact that a $300 ticket will be sent out in the mail.
Of course the first thoughts were to blame it on this relationship and it's problems for completely consuming my mind, giving me a lack of awareness.
Thankfully, the other side of me said "We'll see about that when I get home and sit down to reflect upon what just happened."
This is the spiritual side that doesn't accept that I'm a victim of circumstances; that everything happens for a reason and events like this could be message that the Universe is trying to send me.
At the very least, it always ends up being a lesson (and experience) which is valuable, provided we look at it as a lesson with acceptance.

Well, it didn't take long while in contemplation before I realized (again) that my attitude overall these days is unacceptable.
I try to be a peaceful guy who knows that love is the ultimate answer this planet needs but when I get behind that wheel ..........:angry5:

Everyone is a stupid driver. I loose patience fast. I swear like a sailor and call people the worst things and I don't even know them.
I get so worked up. I'm a perfectionist and have had 5 major accidents that were all ruled the other driver's fault.
I have trauma from that. Every flaw that every driver makes, eats away at me. :BangHead:
I want everyone to get off the road and it should be left for me and my perfect driving abilities.......

Um, excuse me but who just got a speeding ticket in a school zone? Oh, I was distracted just like those other drivers!

Let's do a Duckshot one here.....
It was me who was behind the wheel. I was driving and it was my car that went speeding through a school zone.
No one else was driving my car at the time.....

Back to my style: Look at the energy I'm creating when behind that wheel. I'm adding to the chaos in the world; not helping it like I should be.
There's been many times over the years when I got impatient and sped past as soon as there's an opening only to ask myself why I behaved this way and how lucky I was that there wasn't a cop nearby.
Based on the attitude I described in the previous paragraph, I accepted the fact that I DESERVE to get a ticket!
I let my ego run rampant behind that wheel like a bratty child that is given little to no discipline.
The Universe says "never mind about the incident, look at your attitude while driving as a whole. Time to pay your dues!"

Oh it doesn't stop there and I'm not sparing anyone of a long post. Sorry eh! :laughing7:

#Edit: Was going to continue explaining my poor attitude in other aspects which would leave everyone thinking "This guy's an A-hole" but that's not entirely me. It's my ego.

Yeah, I tricked my ego long enough to quit smoking but it's still running amok, causing me problems elsewhere.
Didn't want any products to help me quit as I knew where the roots of the addiction started from.
I won a battle but I didn't defeat my ego or win the war.

Einstein said "you cannot solve a problem with the same sort of thinking that created it."

Do you think that you can quit smoking with the same mind that got you started?

Tell me this: Does defensiveness, agitation, irritation, anxiety, stress, temptation, emptiness, self-sabotage, impatience, temper, habitual-ism, (to name a few!) etc.
come from the heart or from the mind/ego? :dontknow:
I don't have to tell you which one to listen to.

I know, another post in a sea of opinions, floating in cyberspace....Like who gives a rat's azz?

At least I got to publicly humiliate my ego once again, so your thread ends up helping me! Whether you take my post to heart or tell me to F-off worries me not, as I have no expectations.
All I have is a deep understanding of who causes all the problems around here!
It's difficult to see it that way in a society that caters to the ego rather than the soul.
Peace and love to you all.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.k., finally got discharged. Was in hospital a fortnight and six hours. Outpatient, tube in chest with a little collection cup. Looks like a ripcord but if it gets pulled my $#!+ will fall apart and possibly life threatening. Daily nurse visits for cleaning and draining until next appointment in seven days.

Smoking is frighteningly expensive. .

Most money I spent in one place all year.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard it works. I wonder what the percentage is of people that it works on. That would be interesting to know. With any of the stop smoking aids really. I tried wellbutrin(spelling) and that stuff made me a mess. It did nothing to stop the smoking for me, just gave me mood swings and depression. Those kinds of things scare me.

I tried everything except hypnotism. Well-butrin did it for me. Also, like the Warden in Cool Hand Luke said, "Ya got ta get yer mind right, Luke, then the rest will folla."
I smoked and took well-butrin for two weeks. Haven't had one for 19 years. Yes, I still get a craving...especially when I have an ice cold beer. Also gained a few pounds. Everything tastes better! Nicotine is a powerful drug and it still tugs at my coattails once in a while. Chew is worse. I smoked and chewed...sometimes at the same time. Chew was much harder to quit.
Good luck quitting!! Remember, you have to WANT to quit and then it's actually easy.:icon_thumright:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t know if there is anything to this, but I imagine your house, clothes, vehicle, will all trigger cravings due to the lingering scent. I’d have your house cleaned and painted, go out and buy some new clothes and a new truck.

Your the guy that is smart enough to know when to quit.
Cant smoke em if you don’t buy paper.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t know if there is anything to this, but I imagine your house, clothes, vehicle, will all trigger cravings due to the lingering scent. I’d have your house cleaned and painted, go out and buy some new clothes and a new truck.

Your the guy that is smart enough to know when to quit.
Cant smoke em if you don’t buy paper.

Well I got a smoking room upstairs, only place in the house that smells some. Maybe I will remodel eventually but I have not even been up there yet. Driving might be a real trick though. Two things about that. I always fill the pipe when I get in the truck, always need to take a wizz when I get out of truck. :dontknow:

Have not really considered lighting up yet which is kinda weird. I pray for help some and I give thanks a lot.

That's the thing about prayer. For the most part, God does not give a person what they want. But, make no mistake and have no doubt- God gives each of us what we need.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there was this rodeo featuring the biggest baddest bull that nobody had sat on for 7 seconds in all its two and a half ton life. Could not be rode was the rumor and it might very well couldnt be.

Anyways these to riders are up to ride. Both had entered as the best bull riders in the country. First rider gets on the bull and is bucked off in less than two seconds. Four broken ribs and a bump on the head. Next up gets on and suffers through a two second ride as well.He gets bucked off too but with little injury.

After the showing the two riders congratulate each other. The rodeo officials announce that the next rider to last one second on that bull will be the rodeo winner.

The first rider all busted up tells the second, "You go ahead and take the purse. Next time I get on that bull he will most certainly kill me."

Second rider says to the first-" Alright. Let me at it!", and gets on that bull again.

But the first rider ended up with the purse.

Dead men don't win rodeos.

Don't give up...yer gonna fall off the wagon many more times. Try it again!

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah, never in a million years. Nobody in the history of these wagons has ever just fallen off. Its not like they accidentally end up in the dirt anyways. You can't blame it on the wagon and you can't blame it on the road. Once a man is on the wagon they can't just fall off. They cannot even be pushed off, not by anything. There is only one possibility....

If a man wants off they going to have to jump.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lock the door to your smoking room for the next 30 days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread