Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love dogs,,
Had to put down the family dog back in the 70's.
Man that was a heart breaker.
Do you know that it is a standard Homeowner's Insurance Question? "Do you have a dog?
They are afraid that your dog might bite someone. Like maybe a burglar.
Shouldn't having a dog count towards having a home security system?

My grandmother had a dog mixed with chow and some kind of Chinese fighting dog(Can't remember the name). It was really gentle but would stand guard and not let anyone in the house until she told it. Even family that it was use to. It was awesome for Grandma, it would stay right by her side when she was outdoors. Her insurance went up because of the dog. She had to carry some kind of extra insurance. It wasn't a huge dog, but it's jaw looked like it could take your arm off. It was originally my wifes dog when it was a puppy and we couldn't keep it so Grandma and Grandpa took it .:laughing7:

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the heartache of watching a faithful companion start the decline into darkness and the heartbreak of taking the ultimate step of letting go. I have no words that will help when the time comes to take your pal on his final trip.

My 12 year-old Basset had developed tumors, was experiencing kidney failure, and could no longer control her bowels. I called the vet and asked him when the right time was to let her go and he said that, if she was suffering and couldn't maintain her bodily functions, the time had likely come. He also said that it wasn't fair to keep her alive just because I didn't want to face the reality of her death.

I asked her if she wanted to go for a ride in the truck (which she loved to do) and she, with her last bit of energy, climbed in the seat, something she had not been able to do for over a year. I got to the vet's office, led her in, and bid her farewell. I got back to the parking lot, got in the truck, and cried. It's OK to do that. I looked over at the car next to me and there was a lady holding a lap dog and crying. I know what she was about to do so I just wiped my face, smiled at her, and assured her that she was doing the right thing.

While I would like to have another dog to keep me company and go riding in the truck, my wife and I enjoy travelling now and a new dog just isn't in the cards for us. Good luck. I know your decision is a tough one.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
It's so tough losing a pet which has been a close friend. I think it gets tougher as one gets older. I remember losing friends in the service many years ago and never shedding a tear. Now, just thinking about losing my Jack Russell can make my eyeballs sweat. I truly feel for you. There's a poem about losing pets called "The Rainbow Bridge". Tough read.
dts

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup...it's the curse of being a dog person. I've been through it 13 times. Like I told my daughter...all you can do is love them, give them a good home, and send them on their way, painlessly, at the end. And then go get another one. If there's really a heaven, our dogs will be waiting there for us.
Jim

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel your pain.

Make him comfortable and remember the better times.

Last year we made the agonizing decision to end our 14 year old Kerry Blue Terrier's life in a loss to the ravages of bone cancer. In fact, I'm misting up as I type this. He was a great, great friend. The hardest thing is to take on that responsibility to know when to say when. But I think (I hope) he was ready. We barely were.

After much debate and deliberation and visiting breeders we are now "parents" of a 4-1/2 month old Airedale Terrier. MAN is he busy.

He's still not filling the hole - but he's digging his own beside it. We invest so much and, because of that, they give so much back. If we all survive puppy/adolescent stages he may turn out to be a hell of a dog. He has moments of real potential . . . then just frustrating set-backs. That whole roller-coaster of trying to help them understand what you expect of them. And vice-versa.

Rudyard Kipling has a few poems that nail the relationship of man and dog. "Dinah in Heaven", "The Power of a Dog".

If there is no heaven or no room in the afterlife for dogs then God chose the wrong creature to be glorified. Dogs are amazing little beings.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never rule out steroids if your dog starts failing quickly. It can save their lives and vets are stubborn to prescribe because of organ damage. Seen it work miracles on older dogs.
Dogs can be much more than pets.

Last edited:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was in second grade at a Catholic elementary school, our pointer died. My brother and I were heartbroken. One of our nuns was teaching us about Heaven and I asked if my dog was there and she said no, that animals couldn't go to heaven, only very good people. She wasn't pleased when my response was that, in that case, I didn't want to go to Heaven. After explaining to me that I would be with Jesus in Heaven and that would be better, I held my ground (timidly) and said that I'd rather be with my dog. Frustrated, she sent me to the principal's office for appropriate action to be taken. Luckily for me, he was a gentle, older priest who assured me that Jesus loves all His animals and yes, they are all there in Heaven with Him, including my dog. What a relief! Wouldn't you think that any adult would have told me that instead of what the nun did? I don't question her intentions but her judgment seems a little skewed.

Years later, I came across quotes from both Mark Twain and Will Rogers, who, many years before I did, said basically the same thing.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." – Will Rogers

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”― Mark Twain
“The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven not man’s.” – Mark Twain

I hope your grief passes as quickly as possible.
dts

Last edited:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sorry for your sadness. When my favorite dog a Brittany passed 2 1/2 years ago, I found myself tearing up and crying when thinking about him. Good luck on finding you new dog. They do help, I now have a 17 month springer spaniel. Not it is not the same, but better than being without a dog. Dogs and horses are the best animal companions.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sounds like your describing a shar-pei. they are fierce guard dogs. And I mean fierce, they were bred for that exact purpose.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel your pain. My dogs are my best friends and give me so much love. I will be heart broken when they pass.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoping for the best for you and yr sweet dogie.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread