Will we ever get this type of metal detecting technology?

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the Army I was a 32G20 or Fixed Cryptographic Equipment Repairman and worked on crypto computers that were use in fixed locations like army headquarters all over the world.
But all my experience was analog and digital electronics theory and field work. Not audio processing. This was the domain of the US Navy submarine fleet. Of course being in the Army I had no access to any information about Navy electronic systems. Everything below is idle speculation on my part. Too hot to detect in Atlanta these days.

Ok, what follows is what I have gleaned from the Internet since I have no training or experience in audio signal processing.

One of the tools the US Navy uses is passive sonar digital analysis of propeller noise and other noise characteristics of every ship on the ocean. This database of audio characteristic is stored in their onboard computer systems and the computers compare the signals heard with those in the database and come up with a match to ID the ship. I have read that it can identify individual ships from a long distance away with out the enemy even knowing we are lurking and identifying those ships.

So can this technology be applied to metal detecting? We process those audio signals with our ears and the better metal detectorists are better at this than others. I know the technology exists, but can it be applied in a practical and economic manner to make it feasible?

So the questions are…

1. do our metal detectors have the computing power to analyze these complex audio signals?
2. can there be developed a database of known audio responses of all the junk and good targets and stored in the metal detectors ram?
3. Can this be done in economic manner that keeps the resulting metal detector under $2,000?
4. Would you buy such a machine for $2,000?

If this technology could be developed and implemented in a sub $2,000 machine I would suspect it would be the ultimate cherry picker.

I also think it could be used with a high quality digital color display even better than the CTX 3030 and show you a cross section of what is actually below your coil and using icons indicating size of coin, type of coin (eg silver, clad, etc), relic type eg shoe buckle or ox knob and type of junk, nail, bottle cap, can slaw and relative size of each object.

Ok, maybe not now, but in the future. The microprocessors are always getting smaller, faster, cheaper and the same goes with the memory.
Any thoughts from anyone and the real technical guys? I know there are some on these forums with tons of technical experience in electronics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions