OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those signals are targets just out of detecting range (depth) where your machine see's something but the TID can't categorize the target. Dig them, some will be a surprise...

OP
OP
sheiswe

sheiswe

Oct 5, 2015
CT
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV,ace 250, garret AT PRO. Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To get some of the harder stuff where I am I ground balance, max sens, and slowly grid or pick a smaller spot to work thoroughly. When deep enough some of the small old copper coins will give a faint or soft high tone and maybe only bounce up and down to say 60ish on the display. When I get that combo I become VERY focused and often do a small rotation or circle around the target to really hear it. I have no idea about the no see ums as I tend not to dig them, it's just too deep and I have gone down to pipes too many times. Alternatively however, as a fellow has already said, deep is often equated with old. It could be old junk, a Chinese cash coin from the 1700's, or a chunk of copper pipe. It's your decision to make whether to dig or not. What often determines whether I want to go the extra mile or not is the sites history. If it has proven to give old relics or coins, or is simply an old occupation site, then those are additional factors that I use to decide to dig or not. Turn of the century school yard with a deep soft high tone, I will dig deeper. 1980's urban grass strips by sidewalks, no, that's shallow clad, knick knacks and jewelry, if in an area with no prior development or historic use.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, dig them all. Last time I dug one of those it was a 17th century knee buckle, 100% complete. Down 11" or more.

OP
OP
sheiswe

sheiswe

Oct 5, 2015
CT
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV,ace 250, garret AT PRO. Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mainly the area I dig is woods, found stuff from s early as around the 1700s

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great answers and all true. Another little blurb that causes this phenomenon is a deep, rusted chunk of iron that will break basically into red powder. Sometimes it is so far gone that you will find little to no trace of artifact, but was concentrated in one spot and was enough to set your machine off. Hope this helps, Ddf.

Lovebottles

Sep 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig everything because I'm desperate for something cool.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
some times it is the halo effect on an artifact. The ground around the target is ionized much like the metal itself and thus make the deep target look bigger and more shallow. But when you start digging, you can disturb the ionized dirt and then the target is now its normal size and thus maybe 2-3 inches deeper than you have dug so appears to disappear.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread