Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Question on Treasure Hunting Club Ethics

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    20316 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Thanks for all the comments guys. Instead of just quitting, I agreed to work with another new member to work towards putting together some guidelines that will address some of the descrepancies that we observed. "The old boy's club" are opposed to the mention of "RULES"
    We were very careful not mention the word "rules". After 3 months of discussion and tweaking the guidelines, the president finally insisted that we put it to a vote to accept or reject these guidelines. The vote was 6 to 6 leaving the president to be the tie breaker. He voted to adopt the guidelines. Well that didn't go over well with the "OLD BOY'S CLUB" at least 3 of them announced that they will be resigning. That includes the Secretary and the Treasurer. These 2 officers support the resistance to change and don'treally do any metal detecting which means that they don't find anything to enter in the monthly "Finds" meeting. Then the guy who was responsible for entering a coin in the monthly competition that wasn't eligible, made a motion, that was voted on and adopted. He asked the club to eliminate the awarding of a Mercury dime in recognition of the monthly finds.
    He suggested that we have a "Show and Tell" instead.
    One of the exciting parts of the monthly meeting is the awarding of a Mercury Dime in recognition of the month's finds. We have a on line club forum that already serves as a "Show and Tell" This guy is oblivious to the fact that his illegal entry is what started this mess in the first place.
    Last edited by against the wind; Oct 19, 2018 at 08:49 AM.
    Kace and A2coins like this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    17271 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I went to one club hunt in '84 in Monroe, MI

I have zero desire to go to another - it was an "Old Boys Club". I didn't even feel welcome.
    Kace, Ol' Kentuck and A2coins like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Jun 2018
    601 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitric View Post
    It's called "benefits", it happens in all types of organizations. Do I think it's fair? Depends on what side of the coin I'm on!!

I do think it's poor.....Move? If I'm a club officer or organizer I wouldn't want to pull any of the resources that could be used as a draw for myself. That's just my way of thinking when wanting too try to build.

What your talking about happens on all levels and organizations...The product is donated for exposure, as long as it's exposed? Most of the time the donators don't care who wins it. As long as the advertising is done.

I see your frustration, and I'd be a liar if I said I've never benefited from "knowing someone" in other types of clubs...And..Since that has happened? I can't be upset when it happens for someone else...Just the way it is..Whether it's right or wrong. If I ran something I would exempt myself, it's hard to say that you would never play favorites though, sometimes there are people that would really benefit and really appreciate the item that couldn't other wise afford it so you give them a ..."hand", then you know there are other guys that would just sell it if won because they have everything....That kind of thing happens too and I have mixed feelings on that. That did happen for me when I was the youngest member of a club it helped me out big time!

I've never belonged to a detecting club I'm just thinking about other clubs that I have belonged.

Yessir, I totally git what yer sayin an 'preciate yer honesty. I guess I'm jest too old fashioned and have a code of ethics that're no longer in fashion I reckon. Glad ta see I'm not tha only one though.

As fer tha Donators and advertising, I ain't so sure they would agree about that "exposure".

Jest seen where roughly 50 people showed up for this "advertised" hunt. (And half of those were already club members). I ain't no math genus, but I figger that means tha donating Vender's advertising ($700 donated equipment) brought tha Club about 25 new hunt attendees @ $25 a pop, some of which may or may not join tha club later and pay an additional membership fee.

Club Hunt Fee $25 x 25 new attendees = $625 for tha club
    Possible new memberships est. 2 x $25 = $ 50 for tha club

Benefit to tha Club TOTAL = $675 in fees for tha club (After deducting all the costs for hosting tha Hunt, tha club actually made very little)

Benefit to tha Club President (free donated detector he just happens ta win) = $700

Now, let's figger up tha benefit fer the Vendor. Their $700 donation bought 25 "lookers". That's $28 advertising dollars cost per person. How many of these people ye reckon are gonna rush out and buy that Vendors product since they didn't win one?

My guess is zero. Especially after having ta listen to that same Club President loudly bashin expensive detectors and proclaiming to anyone within earshot that all ye need is a cheapo detector and tha "know how" ta use it. Apparently he's only a Salesman when hittin up vendors for donations.

Vendor Advertising Dollars Spent (Donation) = $700

Benefit to tha Vendor = $0

Don't take no brainiac ta figger out who came out ahead on that deal.

All I'm sayin is that its a rotten shame for members and vendors alike when clubs are run like this. I know I won't be donating or joining without checkin up on tha club officers, myself. Easy enough ta do when everbody is on Fakebook nowdays.
    Last edited by Ol' Kentuck; Oct 19, 2018 at 06:32 PM.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jun 2018
    601 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    Hes a member just like you. but has taken on more responsibilities so people like you and others can have a club that functions well and is fun to be in . Why should he be excluded from these kind of things unless hes a cheater and if you feel that way why keep him as president. your being petty You could be pres but not get to participate sound fair to you........,Really

Not a member, wrong state.

Sorry fer tha short reply feller, but both tha rules an tha shock collar I'm wearin prevent me from answerin as I would like. That's what happens when ye take on more reponsibility so people like you an others can have a club that functions well and is fun ta be in.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot.
    725 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Kentuck View Post
    Was checking out some of tha treasure hunting club links here on Treasurenet and had a question.

Is it common now for tha officers of these clubs, like a President fer instance, to compete for tha prizes that Detector Vendors donate? I was always under the impression that club officers were exempt from winning prizes. Every club I've ever been a member of prohibited officers from winning tha prizes they solicit from tha Vendors for competitions. I was surprised ta see that a club listed here allows them to win prizes, in fact, tha officer of tha club in question seems ta win most of them from lookin over his site. Is that ethical?

And to tha Donating Vendors, would ye still be donating if ye knew yer donations were goin straight to the club President who asked ye fer tha donation?

Or am I jest gettin too dang old and cranky?

Seriously tho, I always thought tha idea was to encourage more people ta join and participate in our hobby, not corner tha market fer our own benefit. What's yer opinions?
    there is only one club that I would join. the D.M.D.C. or Danbury Metal Detecting Club, it is 100% ethical.
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

Mar 2013
    31 times
    You must have a nice button collection!
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    5733 times
    IMO If it is a raffle or anything whose outcome can be rigged, all of the organizers should exempt themselves. Accent on "themselves" This should be a no brainer.
    If it is a swinging contest where nothing gets hokey why not let everyone participate?

Either way each club has their own rules and they should be posted somewhere. Read them before you participate and if you don't like them...Dont
    A2coins likes this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    24330 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Dude if you already know what you want why ask everyone else. You don't like someones opinion don't ask . Your not a member why are ya so worked up. this is 2018 the world isn't fair and square. Just get some of your Bros and that's all ya need prizes and clubs sounds like a bingo hall. Good luck hope ya figure it out
    Ol' Kentuck likes this.
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    May 2011
    2803 times
    There is a club where I live that I just have no interest to join because of what I heard about the actions of a few but for a couple of years I lived out west and was a member of one of the greatest clubs in the country.
    Everyone was great, super nice, supportive and helpful and nobody cared that the officers entered any contests including the end of the year seeded hunts.
    One time the treasurer that gathered up all the prizes for all contests won one of the main prize detectors at that seeded hunt and everyone just congratulated him.
    You couldn't fix these prize hunts, first you had to find a special token during the hunt and then the number on that token had to coincide with a number pulled out of a jar that matched that token for a prize that was sitting on the award table one at a time.
    Every one had the same shot at any prize so I never saw any problem with all the officers entering if they wanted to...or winning.
    They all worked hard for us throughout the year for no pay so why shouldn't they have a shot at the fun, too?

For clubs that have contests that aren't regulated so closely and especially those where the officers win a suspicious amount of expensive prizes and equipment well...that would be a club I would never be a member of so for those that are good luck with that.
    Last edited by digger27; Oct 30, 2018 at 06:23 AM.
    Ol' Kentuck and A2coins like this.
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
    Annnnd now an Equinox 800

us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot.
    725 times
    Relic Hunting
    One thing that attracts me to metal detecting is the solitary aspect of it. I can load my gear into my car and go any time I feel like it. Seeded Hunts? Just like Easter egg hunts. Club hunts? Heard about one club hunt on a nice farm that used to give out permissions to individuals now won't give out permissions to anyone after a club hunt. Uncovered holes and trash left behind convinced him to never give out any permissions at all. Too bad was a good site.

Plus why would I get up in front of a meeting and tell or accidentally reveal clues to someone about a site that I spent many hours of research to locate. No way. Usually the club founder remains the president and controls the club because others don't want to be bothered with the presidential duties, whatever those are. Only club I would join is the D.M.D.C. that has a very able and ethical president. Terry does a good job as president, keeps all six or seven members in line. He is an ex policeman. I don't think he ever rigged a hunt in his favor but often puts his younger wife ahead of this presidential duties. He takes a firm line in watching and reporting the antics of Paul and Simon who. Was like a bird dog in finding out where an eccentric farmer was thought to bury his ex-wife on his property. Even to the point of almost getting his leg blown off. Yes, I would join the D.M.D.C. in a heart beat if it was withing a 2 hour drive of where I live.

With that being said, people who enjoy and benefit from a fun and ethical club then that is great.
    Ol' Kentuck and A2coins like this.

us
    Jun 2018
    601 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pulltabfelix View Post
    One thing that attracts me to metal detecting is the solitary aspect of it. I can load my gear into my car and go any time I feel like it. Seeded Hunts? Just like Easter egg hunts. Club hunts? Heard about one club hunt on a nice farm that used to give out permissions to individuals now won't give out permissions to anyone after a club hunt. Uncovered holes and trash left behind convinced him to never give out any permissions at all. Too bad was a good site.

Plus why would I get up in front of a meeting and tell or accidentally reveal clues to someone about a site that I spent many hours of research to locate. No way. Usually the club founder remains the president and controls the club because others don't want to be bothered with the presidential duties, whatever those are. Only club I would join is the D.M.D.C. that has a very able and ethical president. Terry does a good job as president, keeps all six or seven members in line. He is an ex policeman. I don't think he ever rigged a hunt in his favor but often puts his younger wife ahead of this presidential duties. He takes a firm line in watching and reporting the antics of Paul and Simon who. Was like a bird dog in finding out where an eccentric farmer was thought to bury his ex-wife on his property. Even to the point of almost getting his leg blown off. Yes, I would join the D.M.D.C. in a heart beat if it was withing a 2 hour drive of where I live.

With that being said, people who enjoy and benefit from a fun and ethical club then that is great.

A2coins likes this.

us
    Jun 2018
    601 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A2coins View Post
    Dude if you already know what you want why ask everyone else. You don't like someones opinion don't ask . Your not a member why are ya so worked up. this is 2018 the world isn't fair and square. Just get some of your Bros and that's all ya need prizes and clubs sounds like a bingo hall. Good luck hope ya figure it out

Play nice now, feller. Did I ferget ta like yer post? There ye go, all better now?

us
    Oct 2015
    NC
    Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre, Nokta Pin pointer.
    4286 times
    I have been a member of several clubs and the one thing i know is....nobody wants to step up to the plate to help keep the club going. Every club needs a board. Why penalize the people who work the hardest to keep the club going? I say its unethical NOT to let the board members participate.
    A2coins likes this.
    Dig till you drop!

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    24330 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    boom there it is
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

us
    Jun 2018
    601 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammoman View Post
    I have been a member of several clubs and the one thing i know is....nobody wants to step up to the plate to help keep the club going. Every club needs a board. Why penalize the people who work the hardest to keep the club going? I say its unethical NOT to let the board members participate.

I reckon Altruism is negated by excessive self gratitude and gain. Dontcha reckon?
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links