Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO If it is a raffle or anything whose outcome can be rigged, all of the organizers should exempt themselves. Accent on "themselves" This should be a no brainer.
If it is a swinging contest where nothing gets hokey why not let everyone participate?

Either way each club has their own rules and they should be posted somewhere. Read them before you participate and if you don't like them...Dont

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude if you already know what you want why ask everyone else. You don't like someones opinion don't ask . Your not a member why are ya so worked up. this is 2018 the world isn't fair and square. Just get some of your Bros and that's all ya need prizes and clubs sounds like a bingo hall. Good luck hope ya figure it out

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
There is a club where I live that I just have no interest to join because of what I heard about the actions of a few but for a couple of years I lived out west and was a member of one of the greatest clubs in the country.
Everyone was great, super nice, supportive and helpful and nobody cared that the officers entered any contests including the end of the year seeded hunts.
One time the treasurer that gathered up all the prizes for all contests won one of the main prize detectors at that seeded hunt and everyone just congratulated him.
You couldn't fix these prize hunts, first you had to find a special token during the hunt and then the number on that token had to coincide with a number pulled out of a jar that matched that token for a prize that was sitting on the award table one at a time.
Every one had the same shot at any prize so I never saw any problem with all the officers entering if they wanted to...or winning.
They all worked hard for us throughout the year for no pay so why shouldn't they have a shot at the fun, too?

For clubs that have contests that aren't regulated so closely and especially those where the officers win a suspicious amount of expensive prizes and equipment well...that would be a club I would never be a member of so for those that are good luck with that.

Last edited:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One thing that attracts me to metal detecting is the solitary aspect of it. I can load my gear into my car and go any time I feel like it. Seeded Hunts? Just like Easter egg hunts. Club hunts? Heard about one club hunt on a nice farm that used to give out permissions to individuals now won't give out permissions to anyone after a club hunt. Uncovered holes and trash left behind convinced him to never give out any permissions at all. Too bad was a good site.

Plus why would I get up in front of a meeting and tell or accidentally reveal clues to someone about a site that I spent many hours of research to locate. No way. Usually the club founder remains the president and controls the club because others don't want to be bothered with the presidential duties, whatever those are. Only club I would join is the D.M.D.C. that has a very able and ethical president. Terry does a good job as president, keeps all six or seven members in line. He is an ex policeman. I don't think he ever rigged a hunt in his favor but often puts his younger wife ahead of this presidential duties. He takes a firm line in watching and reporting the antics of Paul and Simon who. Was like a bird dog in finding out where an eccentric farmer was thought to bury his ex-wife on his property. Even to the point of almost getting his leg blown off. Yes, I would join the D.M.D.C. in a heart beat if it was withing a 2 hour drive of where I live.

With that being said, people who enjoy and benefit from a fun and ethical club then that is great.

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing that attracts me to metal detecting is the solitary aspect of it. I can load my gear into my car and go any time I feel like it. Seeded Hunts? Just like Easter egg hunts. Club hunts? Heard about one club hunt on a nice farm that used to give out permissions to individuals now won't give out permissions to anyone after a club hunt. Uncovered holes and trash left behind convinced him to never give out any permissions at all. Too bad was a good site.

Plus why would I get up in front of a meeting and tell or accidentally reveal clues to someone about a site that I spent many hours of research to locate. No way. Usually the club founder remains the president and controls the club because others don't want to be bothered with the presidential duties, whatever those are. Only club I would join is the D.M.D.C. that has a very able and ethical president. Terry does a good job as president, keeps all six or seven members in line. He is an ex policeman. I don't think he ever rigged a hunt in his favor but often puts his younger wife ahead of this presidential duties. He takes a firm line in watching and reporting the antics of Paul and Simon who. Was like a bird dog in finding out where an eccentric farmer was thought to bury his ex-wife on his property. Even to the point of almost getting his leg blown off. Yes, I would join the D.M.D.C. in a heart beat if it was withing a 2 hour drive of where I live.

With that being said, people who enjoy and benefit from a fun and ethical club then that is great.

:laughing7: :notworthy:

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Dude if you already know what you want why ask everyone else. You don't like someones opinion don't ask . Your not a member why are ya so worked up. this is 2018 the world isn't fair and square. Just get some of your Bros and that's all ya need prizes and clubs sounds like a bingo hall. Good luck hope ya figure it out

Play nice now, feller. :laughing7: Did I ferget ta like yer post? There ye go, all better now? :icon_thumright:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been a member of several clubs and the one thing i know is....nobody wants to step up to the plate to help keep the club going. Every club needs a board. Why penalize the people who work the hardest to keep the club going? I say its unethical NOT to let the board members participate.

OP
OP
Ol' Kentuck

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been a member of several clubs and the one thing i know is....nobody wants to step up to the plate to help keep the club going. Every club needs a board. Why penalize the people who work the hardest to keep the club going? I say its unethical NOT to let the board members participate.

I reckon Altruism is negated by excessive self gratitude and gain. Dontcha reckon? :dontknow:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is only one club that I would join. the D.M.D.C. or Danbury Metal Detecting Club, it is 100% ethical.

Sorry to go off track but I so enjoy that club!!!!
Sure wish there was going to be a season #4!
(Heart sank when I realized it was 3 and done.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread