Can anyone ID this plant?

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it is kind of the yankee version of Kudzu. Don't put it in your yard, you may regret doing so.

other home site indicator plants are daffodils, yucca plants, cedar trees or any other group of flowering plants that appear out of place from the native plants common in your woods. Also any plants, shrubs, tree planted in lines or sharp angles. Nature does not do that.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have heard goats will eat damn near anything. I also heard that cows and horses will not eat kudzu. Kudzu eats fences, buildings, old cars, any kind of tree or bush. basically they eat everything. in middle and south GA I have been told kudzu will grow 1 foot per day.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is kind of the yankee version of Kudzu. Don't put it in your yard, you may regret doing so.

other home site indicator plants are daffodils, yucca plants, cedar trees or any other group of flowering plants that appear out of place from the native plants common in your woods. Also any plants, shrubs, tree planted in lines or sharp angles. Nature does not do that.

In addition to daffodils, lilacs, apple trees, periwinkle, or other plants that are out of place, the form of trees can be another indicator of an old house site. Forest-grown trees compete against each other for light and space and are, generally speaking, self-thinning and self-pruning. Competing trees lose their lower branches as they get shaded from above, so that they can put more resources into height growth and they develop a straight, narrow trunk (think of towering, timber-form trees). Open-grown trees aren’t competing for light or space and develop a shorter, more spreading form and since they aren’t competing for light or space, they retain their lower branches... Envision a beautiful, mushroom-shaped oak or maple with a suspended bench swing in front of an old home. If you’re in the woods and see a few trees with unusually large diameters and spreading forms, surrounded by, and likely being overtopped by a forest of timber-form trees with similar, but much smaller diameters, you may be near the remains of an old structure that has been reclaimed by the forest.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Playing with a Garrett XL-500, it got wet.
Minelab Nox-600.
Garrett pinpointer Pro, Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A totally awesome read!
Thank you all for your input, it surely helps me not to lose confidence in my fellow man.
When I read that the oceans are now echoing with life reduction of some 40% in the last 30-40 years, and land species disappearing by the hundreds, I cry.
People need to somehow start coming out of their "denial attitudes" and start making a difference by just taking a small step for mankind right in their own surroundings rather than just brushing aside the actual happening and in process demolition of our world in all its diversity because it hasn't affected them yet.
Hats off gentlemen, I applaud your love for this world, and hope it is contagious.
I am trying also by not poluting through use of solar, sun heat storage and using just about any measure to make my stay here unnoticed by nature.
Not able to do that 100%, but I have help...., the few like yourselves. Thank you. EB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions