Gotta love shrimp and grits

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
We have to pinch and suck the Crawdads around here....

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have to pinch and suck the Crawdads around here....

We had a great crawfish season this year they where monsters lots of fat. 57392091-6C81-4C24-B501-617799FBFE6E.jpeg

Last edited:

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
We had a great crawfish season this year they where monsters lots of fat.
It takes quite a mess to make a meal here but if you catch them from the springs they have an awesome taste!!:skullflag:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It takes quite a mess to make a meal here but if you catch them from the springs they have an awesome taste!!:skullflag:

We’re pretty spoiled here.

Squeeze the juice and fat from the head in your eggs with the meat on top with some cheese....it’ll make you wanna slap yo momma.

Thank me next Spring:)))

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
We’re pretty spoiled here.

Squeeze the juice and fat from the head in your eggs with the meat on top with some cheese....it’ll make you wanna slap yo momma.

Thank me next Spring:)))
Damn I'm hungry....

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have a large bowl...hold the grits. I'll save them for breakfast.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mmmh tasty!

I had built 4 rectangular Crayfish traps to try harvesting them from the river here in Laramie (perforated cat food cans as bait), and was very successful. The river is usually shallow and clear so the flat-bottom traps could be positioned perfectly and then observed from the bridge. Quite entertaining watching lines of the critters march up the ramps and into the traps and quite tasty as well. No license is necessary for crawdadding here which is refreshing.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Mmmh tasty!

I had built 4 rectangular Crayfish traps to try harvesting them from the river here in Laramie (perforated cat food cans as bait), and was very successful. The river is usually shallow and clear so the flat-bottom traps could be positioned perfectly and then observed from the bridge. Quite entertaining watching lines of the critters march up the ramps and into the traps and quite tasty as well. No license is necessary for crawdadding here which is refreshing.
Nice! Our jumbo ‘dad’s, not to mention all crayfish pretty much disappeared here over 30 years ago in lower Michigan. We used to catch ‘em out of the streams and ditches by the 5 gallon bucket. Guessing water quality. I miss ‘em.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guessing water quality. I miss ‘em.

That's a shame, I hear that the river here used to be extremely polluted (railroad tie factory spilling creosote everywhere on top of the usual dumping of toxic crap) but it has undergone significant restoration in the past decade. Still, I consider it a good idea to harvest them upstream of the 'ole tie factory. I can't tell the difference between species but there are some 5-6 inch crayfish which seem pretty big. I was born close to the Chesapeake and spending a day crabbing for family crab feasts was darn near the most fun I've ever had. Not quite the same but trappin' crayfish brings back good memories.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! Our jumbo ‘dad’s, not to mention all crayfish pretty much disappeared here over 30 years ago in lower Michigan. We used to catch ‘em out of the streams and ditches by the 5 gallon bucket. Guessing water quality. I miss ‘em.

As a sportsman and somebody who saw the devastation that happen to our seafood from BP it kills me when I hear about ya’ll water problem [emoji1317]

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK. You did it. Now I gotta go home and cook. But that's not a bad thing.

Care to share the recipe? :occasion14:

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife make the best barbecue shrimp and grits. We also had some fresh boudin and eggs. It’s where breakfast meets dinner...so so good.

I would absolutely love to spend time, maybe even live in Louisiana. I just love the culture and the food looks amazing. Anytime there's a show on TV based out of Alaska or Louisiana... I'm watching it. Maybe I'll make it down that direction some year...won't be anytime soon. BTW, We have a family pie from the south called Jeff Davis Pie. It's amazing, and Christmas isn't Christmas without it.

OO

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw, I've technically been twice, but not to the parts I would choose, or to do things I want. I've never really experienced the people and culture.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born and raised in the south, been eating grits all my life, fish and grits, shrimp and grits, eggs and grits, just plain grits with cheese salt and pepper.

I had basic raining in Lackland AFB in Texas, the chow hall served grits and the northern boys were putting milk and sugar on them thinking it was cream of wheat. LOL, it was funny to watch.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would absolutely love to spend time, maybe even live in Louisiana. I just love the culture and the food looks amazing. Anytime there's a show on TV based out of Alaska or Louisiana... I'm watching it. Maybe I'll make it down that direction some year...won't be anytime soon. BTW, We have a family pie from the south called Jeff Davis Pie. It's amazing, and Christmas isn't Christmas without it.

OO

AMEN!!! I bet it’s delicious!!!!
If you ever make it down let me know because one thing about Louisiana when you’re a guest we will feed you right.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread