Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Born and raised in the south, been eating grits all my life, fish and grits, shrimp and grits, eggs and grits, just plain grits with cheese salt and pepper.

I had basic raining in Lackland AFB in Texas, the chow hall served grits and the northern boys were putting milk and sugar on them thinking it was cream of wheat. LOL, it was funny to watch.

Yankees!!! Lol I appreciate the laugh that really actually made me laugh lol

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I prefer mine with Hot sauce/peppers/butter and Red Eye gravy...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I love shrimp and I love grits but I am sorry to say that I only eat grits with eggs and bacon and will likely have some gravy and biscuits and sliced fresh tomatoes and maybe some fried potatoes or hash browns if I am really hungry. Oh yeah, the grits have to be cooked with bacon grease for seasoning, then add butter, salt and pepper.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love shrimp and I love grits but I am sorry to say that I only eat grits with eggs and bacon and will likely have some gravy and biscuits and sliced fresh tomatoes and maybe some fried potatoes or hash browns if I am really hungry. Oh yeah, the grits have to be cooked with bacon grease for seasoning, then add butter, salt and pepper.

Bacon grease in potato salad is amazing. Best potato salad in the South.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrote a poem about shrimp and grits many years ago...It is called "In Honky Tonks And Dives"- Poem by Edwin Tanguma at poemhunter.com...I wonder IF I'll ever see my lil signet again???Who knows???

Ed T

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s where all the juice is trapped in the head and in the shell between the shrimp.

Yes you suck the head :)

Ahhh.

I pinched many Shrimp heads off in my time but (only sucked oysters) LOL

I always had fun removing that "Do Do" from the peeled shrimp?

Did the DW-H orison disaster take a big toll on the Shrimping industry ?

I watched a Net-Flix documentary about it ; they said there were still issues in some areas but the 'Doc' was made in 2015 ) or 2016.

Tell P.Copper hello & happy Hunting & Good Eating.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife cooks like no other A2

Mine does to .....In the Microwave. lol

She can do pretty well when she tries tho...pretty darn good.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Our jumbo ‘dad’s, not to mention all crayfish pretty much disappeared here over 30 years ago in lower Michigan. We used to catch ‘em out of the streams and ditches by the 5 gallon bucket. Guessing water quality. I miss ‘em.

They are Far! less abundant here 20-25 miles N of Atlanta as well , I got a small creek in the back of our house , it's fed by a small spring (somewhere) a few houses down 'now it's mostly a storm water drain .

There used to be some good size ones up until 2001 or so heck in 1998 I would feed 2 big (for Here) 4-5 inch friends leftover Pot Roast, it got to where they would start coming out from under the creek bank when they 'Felt/ heard ' ? me coming.
Now all I see are small ones , with a big example being an Inch or inch & a half.

When I was 5-9 Big ones were under almost every rock in the ' Med 4-6 Foot wide creek ' where I lived at the time.
I saw one I thought was a Lobster 1 time , I actually ran away scared ,lol then again I was little then & everything seems so much bigger when yr at that age.

Loving this 'Crawdad' talk. ' The things that make me happy ???' .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Born and raised in the south, been eating grits all my life, fish and grits, shrimp and grits, eggs and grits, just plain grits with cheese salt and pepper.

I had basic raining in Lackland AFB in Texas, the chow hall served grits and the northern boys were putting milk and sugar on them thinking it was cream of wheat. LOL, it was funny to watch.

I do miss some good ole 'Cream of Wheat' it's been 35 years since I had some, Ill remind the wife to get some next time she goes to the store , love my Cheese grits .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. It’s like grits.

I recall Cream of Wheat being more watery than Grits , but then again I was made by Southerners at Kinder-Care or Atlanta Public Schools .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yea Grandma would save those glass jars of Grease in them , I recall thinking "That stuff looks Nasty"

These days ill bet that sight is a rarity in most homes that are on the 'Grid'.

Ozark Redneck

Oct 14, 2018
Dover Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eat grits gravy and eggs about every morning had some today no shrimp in Ozarks but plenty hominy grits very good been eating them 73 years must try grits and shrimp looks good by the way grits and hominy grits are not the same

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ll pass on the grits. I thought everyone ate cottage cheese with their eggs, be them fried or scrambled.
Grits and eggs, just weird! Kinda like pancakes and syrup, with a side of cooked carrots -

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
They are Far! less abundant here 20-25 miles N of Atlanta as well , I got a small creek in the back of our house , it's fed by a small spring (somewhere) a few houses down 'now it's mostly a storm water drain .

There used to be some good size ones up until 2001 or so heck in 1998 I would feed 2 big (for Here) 4-5 inch friends leftover Pot Roast, it got to where they would start coming out from under the creek bank when they 'Felt/ heard ' ? me coming.
Now all I see are small ones , with a big example being an Inch or inch & a half.

When I was 5-9 Big ones were under almost every rock in the ' Med 4-6 Foot wide creek ' where I lived at the time.
I saw one I thought was a Lobster 1 time , I actually ran away scared ,lol then again I was little then & everything seems so much bigger when yr at that age.

Loving this 'Crawdad' talk. ' The things that make me happy ???' .

Maybe the reason you are no longer seeing any of the big crayfish (we call them crawdads) anymore is because of Raccoons. Crayfish is one of their main staples and it is easier for them to catch the big ones versus the small ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread