🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anybody but me wonder why so many harmonica reeds are lying around? I think everyone with a metal detector finds at least one. Well, I would guess at least 80% +. A coin or ring I can see losing because they are so small, but a harmonica? Any theories?

i wonder that too i find at least one every time i go.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have to remember they were a major major part of entertainment, small pocket sized musical instrument and yes lost often. I was blessed enough to find one partially intact which I’ve rarely seen. IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0012.JPG

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I find them all over. Parks, street tear outs, farm fields, etc. Even found one near a popular beach, then realized there was an old shipwreck only about 300 feet out that could easily explain it.

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Well, I think I got my first harmonica reed this week. Only a state away here in NM.

TerryEastTexas

Oct 26, 2004
Palestine. Tx.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes I find harmonica reeds, squeeze box reeds and jew's harps. I guess you put them together then you would have a small band.

BullBat

Nov 23, 2013
The Left Coast
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Basic entertainment, slim, easy to carry in a pocket, cheap models available so most everyone could have one...can you think of anything similar?

Okay, fast forward to present-day. Check the newspaper or Craigs List lost/found and tally up how many cell phones are lost daily in just your area. It’s all relative.

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There were a lot of Harmonica Playin' Fools a way back. I believe it was Tar Heel Digging that had a video on a place they dubbed Harmonica Hill. They found quite a few harmonica reeds on this particular hill which was a part of a Civil War encampment.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find a lot of em but haven't seen anyone playing one in forever lol

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the olden days, they shot a lot of harmonica players if there were no piano players around. You never find piano keys, do you? See, I rest my case.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the olden days, they shot a lot of harmonica players if there were no piano players around. You never find piano keys, do you? See, I rest my case.

They went after the organ Players.

& yes , Back a Hundred Years ago, The Local Radio Station was
Still Non Existent.

& It would have been Pretty hard to Carry a gramophone everywhere.

So allot of People Entertained themselves.

of course there was also most likely allot of Jam Sessions
Before Sack Time in Camp sites.

I've dug a Couple Whole ones in Lake Mud,
But the moisture caused the Pieces to fall apart as I removed them
And rinsed them off.

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
As with anything with reeds, the reeds wear out rendering them useless. Organs, squeezeboxes, etc had replaceable reeds, so you find the ones that were discarded. Harmonicas on the other hand, had reed plates, and when their reeds wore out, most of the time the whole harmonica was discarded. Given their popularity and affordability after the Civil War on through WWI, it is no wonder so many were discarded for us to find!

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As with anything with reeds, the reeds wear out rendering them useless. Organs, squeezeboxes, etc had replaceable reeds, so you find the ones that were discarded. Harmonicas on the other hand, had reed plates, and when their reeds wore out, most of the time the whole harmonica was discarded. Given their popularity and affordability after the Civil War on through WWI, it is no wonder so many were discarded for us to find!

So are we finding the reeds where the rest of the harmonica rusted away? For some reason I thought people replaced the reeds? I got to the stage a while back where I discard them when I dig them.

Chub

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

This causes one for some Deep Thought.........hmmmmm.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They are all over W PA old homesteads and cellar hole sites. I probably find a full reed every week or two, sometimes find a handful in one outing. Always wondered why they are everywhere. Also find loads of old plated spoons and forks in the middle of nowhere in the woods. They drive me nuts...

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget, you play the harmonica a little, then pop it in your shirt pocket, go chop wood, bend over, lose harmonica... the rest is HISTORY..... lol

OP
OP
Butler

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Basic entertainment, slim, easy to carry in a pocket, cheap models available so most everyone could have one...can you think of anything similar?

Okay, fast forward to present-day. Check the newspaper or Craigs List lost/found and tally up how many cell phones are lost daily in just your area. It’s all relative.

So, in a hundred years we (someone) will be digging up cell phone pcbs and trying to ID them on Tnet! "Geez, another IPhone! Still have a Blackberry on my bucket list!" :)

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are all over W PA old homesteads and cellar hole sites. I probably find a full reed every week or two, sometimes find a handful in one outing. Always wondered why they are everywhere. Also find loads of old plated spoons and forks in the middle of nowhere in the woods. They drive me nuts...

Yeah I've found at least 100 plus harmonica reeds. In fact i have a hard time remembering more than a couple cellars that did not give at least a piece of one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions