Harmonica reeds
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Harmonica reeds

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Feb 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
    250
    167 times
    Banner Finds (1)

    Harmonica reeds

    Does anybody but me wonder why so many harmonica reeds are lying around? I think everyone with a metal detector finds at least one. Well, I would guess at least 80% +. A coin or ring I can see losing because they are so small, but a harmonica? Any theories?

  2. #2
    GB1
    GB1 is offline
    us
    Classic car lover

    Jul 2017
    East TX
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre.
    7,342
    21470 times
    baseball cards,hunting,bottle digging,coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler View Post
    Does anybody but me wonder why so many harmonica reeds are lying around? I think everyone with a metal detector finds at least one. Well, I would guess at least 80% +. A coin or ring I can see losing because they are so small, but a harmonica? Any theories?
    i wonder that too i find at least one every time i go.
    devldog likes this.
    audemus jura nostra defendere

    neque deditionem


  3. #3
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

    Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    11,818
    25777 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    You have to remember they were a major major part of entertainment, small pocket sized musical instrument and yes lost often. I was blessed enough to find one partially intact which I’ve rarely seen.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	1642258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	1642262

  4. #4

    May 2018
    70
    117 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Yeah, I find them all over. Parks, street tear outs, farm fields, etc. Even found one near a popular beach, then realized there was an old shipwreck only about 300 feet out that could easily explain it.
    devldog and Truth like this.

  5. #5
    us
    Apr 2016
    New Mexico
    Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
    710
    1204 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Interesting. Well, I think I got my first harmonica reed this week. Only a state away here in NM.
    devldog, Truth and GB1 like this.

  6. #6
    us
    TerryEastTexas

    Oct 2004
    Palestine. Tx.
    Nokta Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
    326
    129 times
    Civil War Relics and old houses
    Yes I find harmonica reeds, squeeze box reeds and jew's harps. I guess you put them together then you would have a small band.
    GB1 and devldog like this.
    I've been detecting since Jan. 2001. My oldest find is a lockplate to a flintlock rifle. My oldest coin is a 1837 Capped bust dime. My best find is a T. Miller Cavalry Button. I use a Nokta Simplex+ and the BH Tracker IV as a loaner.

  7. #7
    us
    Nov 2013
    The Left Coast
    93
    173 times
    Relic Hunting
    Basic entertainment, slim, easy to carry in a pocket, cheap models available so most everyone could have one...can you think of anything similar?

    Okay, fast forward to present-day. Check the newspaper or Craigs List lost/found and tally up how many cell phones are lost daily in just your area. It’s all relative.
    Last edited by BullBat; Oct 17, 2018 at 05:34 PM.
    devldog, GB1 and Truth like this.

  8. #8
    us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
    2,553
    4210 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth1253 View Post
    You have to remember they were a major major part of entertainment, small pocket sized musical instrument and yes lost often. I was blessed enough to find one partially intact which I’ve rarely seen.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	1642258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	1642262
    Very nice find. It is very rare that a partial harmonica is ever found, and you found one.
    Truth and GB1 like this.

  9. #9
    us
    Mar 2012
    Georgia
    Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
    2,553
    4210 times
    Relic Hunting
    There were a lot of Harmonica Playin' Fools a way back. I believe it was Tar Heel Digging that had a video on a place they dubbed Harmonica Hill. They found quite a few harmonica reeds on this particular hill which was a part of a Civil War encampment.

  10. #10
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

    Apr 2016
    Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
    EQUINOX 800
    11,818
    25777 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by devldog View Post
    Very nice find. It is very rare that a partial harmonica is ever found, and you found one.
    Thank you devidog I got lucky
    devldog likes this.

  11. #11
    Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

    Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    33,054
    41767 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I find a lot of em but haven't seen anyone playing one in forever lol
    Butler, chub, devldog and 2 others like this.
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

  12. #12
    us
    Executive Director of Nothing

    May 2014
    Not in the can
    Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
    542
    790 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Back in the olden days, they shot a lot of harmonica players if there were no piano players around. You never find piano keys, do you? See, I rest my case.

  13. #13

    Dec 2003
    Porter Township, Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    72,804
    40292 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyground View Post
    Back in the olden days, they shot a lot of harmonica players if there were no piano players around. You never find piano keys, do you? See, I rest my case.
    They went after the organ Players.


    & yes , Back a Hundred Years ago, The Local Radio Station was
    Still Non Existent.

    & It would have been Pretty hard to Carry a gramophone everywhere.

    So allot of People Entertained themselves.

    of course there was also most likely allot of Jam Sessions
    Before Sack Time in Camp sites.

    I've dug a Couple Whole ones in Lake Mud,
    But the moisture caused the Pieces to fall apart as I removed them
    And rinsed them off.
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Oct 19, 2018 at 04:17 AM.
    devldog likes this.

  14. #14
    As with anything with reeds, the reeds wear out rendering them useless. Organs, squeezeboxes, etc had replaceable reeds, so you find the ones that were discarded. Harmonicas on the other hand, had reed plates, and when their reeds wore out, most of the time the whole harmonica was discarded. Given their popularity and affordability after the Civil War on through WWI, it is no wonder so many were discarded for us to find!
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

  15. #15

    Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    1,381
    1991 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by creskol View Post
    As with anything with reeds, the reeds wear out rendering them useless. Organs, squeezeboxes, etc had replaceable reeds, so you find the ones that were discarded. Harmonicas on the other hand, had reed plates, and when their reeds wore out, most of the time the whole harmonica was discarded. Given their popularity and affordability after the Civil War on through WWI, it is no wonder so many were discarded for us to find!
    So are we finding the reeds where the rest of the harmonica rusted away? For some reason I thought people replaced the reeds? I got to the stage a while back where I discard them when I dig them.

    Chub
    devldog likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. [SOLVED] Copper reeds to harmonica and gas cap????
    By Tenn treasure hunter in forum What Is It?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Dec 02, 2012, 05:56 AM
  2. Harmonica Reeds
    By Palmetto in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Feb 15, 2012, 08:33 AM
  3. Just a few Harmonica reeds.
    By Old River in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May 14, 2008, 11:25 AM
  4. Harmonica reeds
    By johntate in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Oct 20, 2007, 01:44 PM
  5. Harmonica Reeds
    By pgill in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Feb 11, 2006, 12:11 PM

Search tags for this page

harmonica reeds everywhere detecting

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0