Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had aspeech saved which was made to an assembly in Virginia, I think. But lost it in phone death. I found it in a post somewhere on the net, read it and hurriedly saved it.
As I vaguely recall, the speaker was warning the assembly about granting power to the government. One question he posed was to ask what government, having been given a power, had ever willingly returned that power.
Perhaps from the Federalist Papers? I'm hoping someone here knows who gave the impassioned caution at the time of the founding of the U.S.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Wish I could help, but I had a doctor's excuse for most of the 1700's. Seemed like I saw or heard something similar a long long time ago. When I get a chance, I will look around on the internet also. Every once in a while I back up everything from my phone into my computer just in case.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I could help, but I had a doctor's excuse for most of the 1700's. Seemed like I saw or heard something similar a long long time ago. When I get a chance, I will look around on the internet also. Every once in a while I back up everything from my phone into my computer just in case.

So you were at home writing pamphlets? Or were you actually in the stocks a lot of the time?
Almost the first thing you learn is Back Up lol.
I got a couple of old computers with Win 98 which run lol.
Thanks for the help!

BullBat

Nov 23, 2013
The Left Coast
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you were paraphrasing, this might be close. See the fourth paragraph... Brutus I | Teaching American History

Wikipedia: Brutus was the pen name of an Antifederalist in a series of essays designed to encourage New Yorkers to reject the proposed Constitution. His series are considered among the best of those written to oppose adoption of the proposed constitution.[1] They paralleled and confronted The Federalist Papers during the ratification fight over the Constitution. Brutus published 16 essays in the New-York Journal, and Weekly Register from October, 1787, through April, 1788, beginning shortly before The Federalist started appearing in New York newspapers. The essays were widely reprinted and commented on throughout the American states. All 16 of the essays were addressed to "the Citizens of the State of New York".
The true identity of Brutus is unknown, but modern scholarship has suggested both Melancton Smith of Poughkeepsie[2] or John Williams of Salem.[3] A computational analysis of the known writings of Smith suggests that either he or an associate was the author of the Brutus papers, though there are strong similarities between the works of Williams and Brutus. The pen name is in honor of either Lucius Junius Brutus who led the overthrow of the last Roman King Tarquinius Superbus or else Marcus Junius Brutus, who was one of Julius Caesar's assassins

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were paraphrasing, this might be close. See the fourth paragraph... Brutus I | Teaching American History

Wikipedia: Brutus was the pen name of an Antifederalist in a series of essays designed to encourage New Yorkers to reject the proposed Constitution. His series are considered among the best of those written to oppose adoption of the proposed constitution.[1] They paralleled and confronted The Federalist Papers during the ratification fight over the Constitution. Brutus published 16 essays in the New-York Journal, and Weekly Register from October, 1787, through April, 1788, beginning shortly before The Federalist started appearing in New York newspapers. The essays were widely reprinted and commented on throughout the American states. All 16 of the essays were addressed to "the Citizens of the State of New York".
The true identity of Brutus is unknown, but modern scholarship has suggested both Melancton Smith of Poughkeepsie[2] or John Williams of Salem.[3] A computational analysis of the known writings of Smith suggests that either he or an associate was the author of the Brutus papers, though there are strong similarities between the works of Williams and Brutus. The pen name is in honor of either Lucius Junius Brutus who led the overthrow of the last Roman King Tarquinius Superbus or else Marcus Junius Brutus, who was one of Julius Caesar's assassins

Well, that was interesting. Thanks for the link! My guy had the first name of William as I recall. I'm not sure if he was anti-federalist or just warning about giving too much power to the Federal government.
Brutus was certainly prescient in some matters.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited: