What is your greatest bust you thought was not a bust?

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once while hiking along a river in Ohio looking for exposed bottle-dumps, I stumbled across a gleaming golden pocket-watch laying flat, half buried in the bank. I greedily snatched up my heavy golden treasure then beat a cautious and rather paranoid retreat back through the homeless-infested territory to my car.

Turns out it was just a 20 year gold-filled case :BangHead:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
I was hunting a new site from the 1860's got a nice signal and popped a coin out a 1980 penny:BangHead:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my latest one from just last week...

Found what I thought was quite possibly a diamond in a parking lot and this beauty was well over one carat in size.

PA180015.JPG

PA180016.JPG

Jeweler said it was a CZ that he would sell for $35. I didn't even ask him what he would offer me.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thought I had found a brass US buckle or similar a few inches down, it was brass and the right size and shape. Pull it up, brush the dirt from it, and its a tag from a hotel cleaner with the name Sarah on it circa 1970.

OP
OP
S

Stuperduke

May 30, 2017
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX-4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0h my gosh those are so amazing. Dont think I have had any similar.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a good but deep signal and dug a dime at 10 inches.

A 1996 Roosevelt. :-(

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was at an 1850's site in the woods....dug at least a couple dozen of IHP and LC's over the years....never a silver......so being stubborn i must keep going back until i find one..there must be one there..dug a hole and FINALLY a freaking silver coin from this place! Not...what was peaking out of the dirt was the ring of a beaver tail pull tab.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once while hiking along a river in Ohio looking for exposed bottle-dumps, I stumbled across a gleaming golden pocket-watch laying flat, half buried in the bank. I greedily snatched up my heavy golden treasure then beat a cautious and rather paranoid retreat back through the homeless-infested territory to my car.

Turns out it was just a 20 year gold-filled case :BangHead:

As are 70% of my ring finds .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting a new site from the 1860's got a nice signal and popped a coin out a 1980 penny:BangHead:

I feel ya gold boy .
Just last Sunday I had dug 3 Civil War Minnie's , then got a similar Bullet signal turned out to be a 19? Zinc Cent at 4 inches .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was at an 1850's site in the woods....dug at least a couple dozen of IHP and LC's over the years....never a silver......so being stubborn i must keep going back until i find one..there must be one there..dug a hole and FINALLY a freaking silver coin from this place! Not...what was peaking out of the dirt was the ring of a beaver tail pull tab.

You bringing back bad memories .

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's another. I was back in the woods close to dusk detecting dredge piles from a pond next to an 1800's mill. Got a good signal in the mud, pulled a coin. In the dim light i swear it was an indian. Got another signal next to the hole and another and another. My first nice old coin spill. Quarters, dimes, pennies...

Got out into the sunlight and poured water on them, yep clad, got about $1.00.

My imagination got the better of me that day.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had so many let downs , I talk to myself when I'm digging a good signal ( It's likely a Bottle cap , Burnt Aluminum, ) so I won't be disappointed .

Many times I thought Id actually found mt 1st Civil War 'Round' Breast plate & it's been Ball jar Lids , or Deep tin can top's or bottoms .

A year ago at the Lake I eyeballed a BIG Man's ? White Gold or Platinum ? , got to the Truck rinsed with water & saw "Tungsten" Written on the inside . Oh well it still looks nice.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A massive thick gold chain marked “14 k Italy” that turned out to be a total fake.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Through my wife, I obtained a great permission, middle of town, in the Historic District...beautiful, early 1800 house, and the longtime reside said as far as he knew, no one had ever hunted it. Digging perfect plugs as not to upset the perfectly manicured lawn, I got that magic 92,92,92 signal with an angelic tone. Pinpointed it, dug a wide plug, popped it and 5 inches down sat 2 clad quarters stuck together. Ugh...I would have lost good money betting on finding big silver. Ddf.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a Colnago Italian racing bike at the goodwill. I dont know anything about bikes but the components looked good quality.Nice period 1980's brakes etc. Italian rims.....Flipped it immediately....lots of calls . First buyer declares it as fake. Sticker kit on a crappy frame. one wheel out of true.... still sitting in the tool shed. will take it back to them sometime. $20 poorly spent

Chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions