What is your greatest bust you thought was not a bust?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: What is your greatest bust you thought was not a bust?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2017
    San Francisco
    CTX 3030 GPX-4000
    179 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

What is your greatest bust you thought was not a bust?

Like the title says, can we hear some stories about something or some situation in which you thought you had hit the jackpot but found out it was just a bust.
    SD51 likes this.
    GPX-4000
    Sgt. USMC 2007-2012 (Iraq-Kuwait-Afghanistan)

Charter Member
    us
    Martiobarbuli

May 2012
    Wyoming
    White's
    1886 times
    Once while hiking along a river in Ohio looking for exposed bottle-dumps, I stumbled across a gleaming golden pocket-watch laying flat, half buried in the bank. I greedily snatched up my heavy golden treasure then beat a cautious and rather paranoid retreat back through the homeless-infested territory to my car.

Turns out it was just a 20 year gold-filled case
    GB1, Davers and SD51 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Classic car lover

Jul 2017
    East TX
    Teknectics eurotek pro bounty hunter time ranger bounty hunter quick draw 2 used a teroso compadre.
    19207 times
    baseball cards,hunting,bottle digging,coin roll hunting,shooting,Metal Detecting, swimming,
    Banner Finds (1)
    I was hunting a new site from the 1860's got a nice signal and popped a coin out a 1980 penny
    SD51, Plumbata, Davers and 1 others like this.
    audemus jura nostra defendere

neque deditionem

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    3934 times
    Here's my latest one from just last week...

Found what I thought was quite possibly a diamond in a parking lot and this beauty was well over one carat in size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA180015.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	1645127

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA180016.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	1645128

Jeweler said it was a CZ that he would sell for $35. I didn't even ask him what he would offer me.
    Plumbata, Davers and GB1 like this.

Aug 2017
    SW MO
    Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500
    1246 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thought I had found a brass US buckle or similar a few inches down, it was brass and the right size and shape. Pull it up, brush the dirt from it, and its a tag from a hotel cleaner with the name Sarah on it circa 1970.
    SD51, GB1 and Davers like this.

us
    May 2017
    San Francisco
    CTX 3030 GPX-4000
    179 times
    0h my gosh those are so amazing. Dont think I have had any similar.
    SD51 and GB1 like this.
    GPX-4000
    Sgt. USMC 2007-2012 (Iraq-Kuwait-Afghanistan)

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11844 times
    Metal Detecting
    Had a good but deep signal and dug a dime at 10 inches.

A 1996 Roosevelt. :-(
    Davers, GB1 and SD51 like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Apr 2013
    N.E. Ohio
    XP Deus, NOX 600
    1375 times
    Was at an 1850's site in the woods....dug at least a couple dozen of IHP and LC's over the years....never a silver......so being stubborn i must keep going back until i find one..there must be one there..dug a hole and FINALLY a freaking silver coin from this place! Not...what was peaking out of the dirt was the ring of a beaver tail pull tab.
    SD51, Davers, GB1 and 1 others like this.

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6384 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumbata View Post
    Once while hiking along a river in Ohio looking for exposed bottle-dumps, I stumbled across a gleaming golden pocket-watch laying flat, half buried in the bank. I greedily snatched up my heavy golden treasure then beat a cautious and rather paranoid retreat back through the homeless-infested territory to my car.

Turns out it was just a 20 year gold-filled case
    As are 70% of my ring finds .
    SD51 and chub like this.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    6384 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gold boy View Post
    I was hunting a new site from the 1860's got a nice signal and popped a coin out a 1980 penny
    I feel ya gold boy .
    Just last Sunday I had dug 3 Civil War Minnie's , then got a similar Bullet signal turned out to be a 19? Zinc Cent at 4 inches .
    GB1 and SD51 like this.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

Davers

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    6384 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedyoh View Post
    Was at an 1850's site in the woods....dug at least a couple dozen of IHP and LC's over the years....never a silver......so being stubborn i must keep going back until i find one..there must be one there..dug a hole and FINALLY a freaking silver coin from this place! Not...what was peaking out of the dirt was the ring of a beaver tail pull tab.
    You bringing back bad memories .
    SD51 and GB1 like this.

Davers

Aug 2017
    SW MO
    Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500
    1246 times
    Metal Detecting
    Here's another. I was back in the woods close to dusk detecting dredge piles from a pond next to an 1800's mill. Got a good signal in the mud, pulled a coin. In the dim light i swear it was an indian. Got another signal next to the hole and another and another. My first nice old coin spill. Quarters, dimes, pennies...

Got out into the sunlight and poured water on them, yep clad, got about $1.00.

My imagination got the better of me that day.
    GB1 and SD51 like this.

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    6384 times
    I've had so many let downs , I talk to myself when I'm digging a good signal ( It's likely a Bottle cap , Burnt Aluminum, ) so I won't be disappointed .

Many times I thought Id actually found mt 1st Civil War 'Round' Breast plate & it's been Ball jar Lids , or Deep tin can top's or bottoms .

A year ago at the Lake I eyeballed a BIG Man's ? White Gold or Platinum ? , got to the Truck rinsed with water & saw "Tungsten" Written on the inside . Oh well it still looks nice.
    SD51 and GB1 like this.

Davers

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705
    2917 times
    A massive thick gold chain marked “14 k Italy” that turned out to be a total fake.
    GB1 likes this.
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”

Thomas Jefferson

us
    Mar 2014
    south central ohio
    At Pro At Max
    4098 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Through my wife, I obtained a great permission, middle of town, in the Historic District...beautiful, early 1800 house, and the longtime reside said as far as he knew, no one had ever hunted it. Digging perfect plugs as not to upset the perfectly manicured lawn, I got that magic 92,92,92 signal with an angelic tone. Pinpointed it, dug a wide plug, popped it and 5 inches down sat 2 clad quarters stuck together. Ugh...I would have lost good money betting on finding big silver. Ddf.
    GB1 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links