Dirtfishin 208

Greenie
Sep 28, 2018
Lewiston Id
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok folks, I have a whites 6000 that I love but am going to upgrade probably to a Nox 800. My question is I here a lot about "beep and dig" which is pretty much what my machine does, so that part is easy. Do not all machines "Beep"......then you dig? I understand you might have to learn a diff tone but in buying a Nox am I going to be totally losed? Is there a secret to these machines I am unaware of?.
Thanks for the help.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I grew up on Whites...not just beep and dig...listened to the sounds....checked my meter..etc..consistant tone..I could go on..
I've used fisher, minelab, Tesoro, Garrett for now but also thinking about the NOX...it's all a learning curve if you're willing to put in the time (100hrs+) on a machine to learn it..just my 2 cents..

OP
OP
D

Dirtfishin 208

Greenie
Sep 28, 2018
Lewiston Id
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what your saying is learn the machine and what its telling you and your good to go?. Did that with my white, I can do it again. I got this. Lol.
Thanks for the input.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beep and dig detectors is a general term for those without any additional ways of identifying a target before you dig it, such as target ID. Different tones, Target ID, target imaging (sizing), etc are extremely helpful in trashy areas, but no system is infallible. The only true way to know what an item is, is to dig it up. In some areas this simply isn't feasible, hence all the advances in technology over the years that allow us to have a pretty educated guess as to what shallower items are before we decide to dig them up or not.

Good luck on your new machine, and remember; it takes about 100 hours to really learn any new detector, so give yourself plenty of time. And don't forget to go back and recheck the areas where you first start learning your new machine at after you have put in 100 hours on it and are feeling confident with it, as you'll see what you missed.

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beep and dig detectors is a general term for those without any additional ways of identifying a target before you dig it, such as target ID. Different tones, Target ID, target imaging (sizing), etc are extremely helpful in trashy areas, but no system is infallible. The only true way to know what an item is, is to dig it up. In some areas this simply isn't feasible, hence all the advances in technology over the years that allow us to have a pretty educated guess as to what shallower items are before we decide to dig them up or not.

Good luck on your new machine, and remember; it takes about 100 hours to really learn any new detector, so give yourself plenty of time. And don't forget to go back and recheck the areas where you first start learning your new machine at after you have put in 100 hours on it and are feeling confident with it, as you'll see what you missed.

I have begun backtracking my first digs as my proficiency improves with my machines. I enjoy each time I have an "epiphany moment" when it finally comes together. I’m still learning with each dig and each new setting adjustment. It’s almost like trying to figure out a wife...buy easier! LOL:BangHead:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went from a Garrett Ace 250 (beep and dig) to an Equinox 600 (tone machine). I probably had 500 hours on my Ace250 and felt like I had mastered it by around 200 hours. I have 200 hrs on the Nox now and feel that I still have a long way to go.

The Nox 800 has a plethora of modes and settings. It can be set and used effectively in almost any environment. Just be patient. Good luck!

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
what pa dirt nc sand said is true. even more true on the 800.

I went from the AT Pro to the Nox 800. Huge learning curve, but it is fun and frustrating to learn. Once you arrive at being one with your machine (the 800) you will have accomplished quite a feat. I am not there yet, but maybe 70% there. the 800 will cause you to learn more about metal detecting than you ever thought possible. Vferrari and others with 800 experience are invaluable to learning this machine. Clive James Clynic book on the 800 will also help.

good luck

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beep and dig machines are usually one tone, no meter/visual I'D. Set the disc to knock out what you don't want and dig anything that beeps. Best for older sites where you want to bypass iron trash and dig anything non-ferrous, IMO. Not the best for hunting specific targets (e.g. US nickels, indians) that may be lower on the conductivity scale then the trash (pull tabs, screwcaps) that you want to skip over. While that can​ be accomplished by "thumbing the disc" over every target, it makes for a tedious hunt.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Practice and lots of time

A2coins

Gold Member