Beers, Bears, and Bills - Road Trippin' through VT

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey All,

We recently did a road trip through Vermont's Northeast Kingdom. First if you haven't been up to Vermont. It really is a great state to visit. And it's a fun place to go in nearly all seasons. Fall and Spring can be wet, but it really is great all year round.

Anyway here's a video of the highlights from the trip.

The trees had not yet started to really change colors. But the weather was beautiful. And given a choice. I'd rather have nice weather.

Nature and adventure:

As I said the weather really was amazing. Even for late September, the skies were mostly clear and it was actually quite hot.

IMG_20180923_103756.jpg

One of the things I love about Vermont are the rural highways for road biking. You also get a lot of nice vantage points for photographs.

IMG_20180922_101738.jpg

I think at the peak we had a couple +2000 feet climbs. That is not something we typically find where we live. And it was intense, not too much flat road where we biked. It really just felt like one hill after the next.

IMG_20180922_101842.jpg

Classic Vermont - Awesomeness:

We found this really amazing little place. And were allowed to photograph it. The owners were keen on keeping the interior to a specific time period.

IMG_20180922_081614.jpg

Really felt like going into the past when you entered the building. The TV was a gigantic box and lots of antique accessories around the place. Even the tables and chairs all screamed I'm not modern.

IMG_20180922_081720.jpg

This might be seen as tacky in our places around the U.S., but here is works.

Again just another example of what makes Vermont a unique state to visit.

IMG_20180922_081801.jpg

Vermont Craft Micro Brewery - Hill Farmstead Brewery:

Really no trip to Vermont should be considered complete until you have visited at least one local brewery. They are a great place to go after a day of skiing, hiking, or for us road biking over 40 miles.

We ended up choosing Hill Farmstead Brewery, because it was closest to where we were.

IMG_20180922_145847.jpg

This Brewery was established in 2010 by Shaun Hill a local Vermonter, and is also located in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont.

Wiki actually states that the brewery is 70 miles away from the largest city in Vermont, which happens to be Burlington. And that was very fitting, because to get to this wonderful establishment, one has to drive a decent amount on a dirt road with a not so gradual incline at times.

Please do not take this as a warning, all cars would be able to get to the brewery.

IMG_20180922_145721.jpg

Their beer selection was really great. And perhaps it was a busy day due to how beautiful the weather was that weekend. The line to get beers was about 15-20 minutes.

Pro-tip: Place your order for pizza before getting in line, so you'll be able to have a brick oven cooked flat bread ready for you, after you get your beers.

IMG_20180922_145112.jpg

Vermont Nature and Wild life:

During our bike ride we actually saw bear. This was such a crazy situation. I could go on for a while on the subject, but to keep it short.

Biking by a chicken farm we saw some kids by a house who yelled, "Watch out! There's bears in the trees". We thought it was a joke until we saw the mother bear.

Watch the video above to see the bear, the screen shots from my phone didn't do it justice.

Screen%2BShot%2B2018-10-27%2Bat%2B12.29.49%2BPM.png

During the road trip we also came across a unique bee hive. And man were they active. From afar it just looked like the tree was spitting out bees. And when I got closer to the hive, the bees would just fly around me. It was enormous and I could only imagine how many bees were in that colony.

IMG_20180922_162723.jpg

Amazing an Unexpected Currency Collector Find:

On our way home. We randomly selected a coffee shop. Wanting to keep things local and avoid dunks and the bucks. We decided to go to a place in Saint Johnsbury, called, Locally Social. Run by Ian and Cari. I knew we made the right choice as soon as we entered the shop.

IMG_20180923_101125.jpg

One of the walls was just plastered with foreign currency.

IMG_20180923_101141.jpg

Ian and Cari were happy to talk about the wall of money.

It started with a single foreign bill coming to the shop. Then they had another. And soon enough people were starting to provide then with bank notes from new countries around the world.

IMG_20180923_101203.jpg

When we visited they had examples from over 63 countries. In some cases multiple denominations from a particular country. Some still in circulation others not.

IMG_20180923_101216.jpg

I found this to be amazing because as you already know, I'm a coin and currency collector.

IMG_20180923_101224.jpg

I just think this was a wonderful little find. We could have easily missed this experience by going to one of the larger chains in the area and been on our way. But instead we had some really great coffee and a wonderful chat with local shop owners.

IMG_20180923_101246.jpg

I didn't bring it up, but I did think to myself, these should all be in holders. Just to preserve them. That was my collector side trying to get out. Lol.

IMG_20180923_101255.jpg

IMG_20180923_101314.jpg

Also if anyone wants to donate to their wall of foreign currency.

The store address is: Locally Social, 21 Memorial Dr., St. Johnsbury, VT 05819

IMG_20180922_190012_2.jpg

Thanks all for reading this post!

I'd love to hear of any exciting coin and currency finds you've had during road trips.

It could be coin roll hunting finds. Or perhaps something more like our experience here in the Northeast Kingdom.

Or totally unrelated to Coins and Currency. Just your experiences from visiting Vermont or the greater New England area.

Happy Hunting Everyone!!!
~JobIII

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a great time, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice thread, cool pics and story, thanks.

Umm who is the female?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing thanks for sharing that beautiful pictures I need a vacation myself;;;;Well done!!!!!!!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't serve beers to bears in bars in bisby

OP
OP
J

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing thanks for sharing that beautiful pictures I need a vacation myself;;;;Well done!!!!!!!

Get on it friend! Vacations are the best, and if you need it you need it!! :) Thanks for commenting.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In Wisconsin, we had Beer Bar Bears. 😁 Looks like a helluva fun time! 🙌

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Farmers lost 100 chickens and didn’t want to do anything but scare the bears? Ignorant of the ways of nature obviously.

The tradition of pinning money to the ceilings of bars goes back a very long time. Most of the old time bars in my youth had paper currency attached to the ceiling dating back 100 years. I’m sure it started long before that.

Nice adventure. Gotta love the USA

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wild life that day was certainly on point. We also saw a couple families of deer. Mother and children no bucks. But they were huge. Not the small ones you might run into around Long Island and New Jersey. The road biking was also pretty awesome. Some of the hills I was getting into the mid 30 MPHs on the down slope.

OP
OP
J

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, 10:40 PMIMAUDIGGER
Farmers lost 100 chickens and didn’t want to do anything but scare the bears? Ignorant of the ways of nature obviously.

The tradition of pinning money to the ceilings of bars goes back a very long time. Most of the old time bars in my youth had paper currency attached to the ceiling dating back 100 years. I’m sure it started long before that.

Nice adventure. Gotta love the USA

So they didn't want to kill the bears because of potential PR blowback. I believe that has to do with groups in the area, and just that it was not hunting season.

I've seen money on the walls of dive bars. As even clothing :headbang:

It was amazing, agreed the USA is pretty great!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So they didn't want to kill the bears because of potential PR blowback. I believe that has to do with groups in the area, and just that it was not hunting season.

I've seen money on the walls of dive bars. As even clothing :headbang:

It was amazing, agreed the USA is pretty great!

Per the bear, around here the wildlife service would encourage the farmer to kill the bear if they were willing and it was safe. They will come pick up the carcass and dispose of it. Otherwise they will loan a large culvert bear trap (cage), and they will relocate the bear somewhere else away from people. Once they figure out people = free meal, they are trouble from then on.

Wolves are an entirely different matter. That’s political and involves
“Groups” as well.

OP
OP
J

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@imaudigger where are you from?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@imaudigger where are you from?
Northern California. Almost a world away from where you live, I presume.

We have our own “Smokey Mountains” every year due to wildfires. Makes for some great sunsets.
EA0963DE-63BF-4650-8D93-60BD9B825C50.jpeg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread