Why Do We Find So Much Lead Bag/Bale Seals?!

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had this question for some time now. Why are we finding so many lead bag seals on the fields? I myself found a couple of seals about a week ago on a field that had contained flour which is surprising for me. What would you do with flour on a field? And I've also found lead bag seals containing milk on fields that produced flour which is also quite strange. My own theory is that they had them in their pockets and when they went out to work on the fields the seals jumped out of their pockets because they're heavy. Bu I don't know for sure. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know, it would solve a mystery in my mind.

Thank you for reading and happy hunting!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very good question! :dontknow:

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same goes with nails at construction sites. Workers are lazy and won't pick up a dropped nail. I have a box full of wire nuts that I picked up while sweeping the floors.

Field workers might not pick up a dropped seal or if they have to replace seals if the numbers/letters needed changing for what ever reason.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always assumed that lead was semi precious metal. They were saved off the bags for fishing weights and bullets and were lost in the fields and along the banks. That said I have not seen any recovers from water so who knows??? :dontknow:

OP
OP
Vldetecting

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the answers! I know that they were not precious and they most likely threw them away because they were like trash a hundred years ago. That I understand, but my question is still 'Why did they drop them on the fields?'. What purpose did a sack of flour have on a field? Why did the farmers drop them on the fields and not at their homes?

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm don't much about lead seals. How do you know if the seal is off a bag of flour or milk bag?

The seals I have seen (not many) had ID numbers/letters on them, not product names.

OP
OP
Vldetecting

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm don't much about lead seals. How do you know if the seal is off a bag of flour or milk bag?

The seals I have seen (not many) had ID numbers/letters on them, not product names.

I like lead bag seals a little bit. I don't find so many lead bag seals, only about three per hunt. About half of them I find have only numbers or marks which makes them unidentifiable but the other half of them has either a lot of writing or more detailed marks. The other week I even found one with a big lion with a shield, and a lead bag seal that had writing that I could trace all the way to a small town in Germany.

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are fimding them in open areas of fields in clusters, there is a good chance in some ares, you were sitting on an established camp at one point, where goods and mail came in on a regular basis.keep searching!best of luck��

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi.Crop seed bags or disused bags were used to protect young plants from early spring frost .TP

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Probably used old sacks to gather in crops, bail seals could have still been hanging on and removed when filling and tying. i know i have sure filled a many old sacks with ears of corn and potatoes. i guess the kids of the crop gatherers could have had a big time with the seals also.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is a “lead bag seal containing milk”??

OP
OP
Vldetecting

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably used old sacks to gather in crops, bail seals could have still been hanging on and removed when filling and tying. i know i have sure filled a many old sacks with ears of corn and potatoes. i guess the kids of the crop gatherers could have had a big time with the seals also.

That's a really good thought. That might be one of the main reasons we find so much lead bag seals. Thank you

OP
OP
Vldetecting

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is a “lead bag seal containing milk”??

The lettering on the lead bag seal was saying 'Mjölk Kontr' which translates to 'Milk Control'. Because the milk was sent through old days customs. The lead bag seal most likely sealed a sack containing bottles of milk.

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was no organized trash removal in the olden days. Every refuse landed right on the manure heap (including lead seals w/ and W/o burlap, broken cermics, broken ceramic taobacco pipes, etc.). From the manure heap it went to the fields.

Greets namxat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread