SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's ironic is they put a hole in the coin so they wouldn't lose it by hanging it around their neck most likely!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the silver coins go, I've also heard that silver, having antibacterial properties, would be used to kill microbes in milk by suspending a coin by a string in it.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Silver and copper was always thought to have healing ability by old timers, i used to have nose bleeds alot as a child ,my grandmother told of wearing a silver dime around the neck to cure it ,so at five years old i wore one, and i dont wear it now but in my entire life i have never had another nose bleed.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had never heard about them being used as healers, always believed that they were punched so they could hang them around their necks so they wouldn't lose them.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had never heard about them being used as healers, always believed that they were punched so they could hang them around their necks so they wouldn't lose them.

Colloidal silver is one of the best antibacterials around.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A holed coin would still spend. It was a way to remove some of the precious metal. They started rimming coins because people would shave them. This in addition to everything mentioned above. and yes silver has huge healing properties.

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a Goldfield, Nv. token that has two holes. Looks like someone needed a large button???

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theres a thread somewhere it says people would tie a string to it and let it sit in laundry or something Ill copy it here if I can find it

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can remember farm labor wearing coins on a string around their ankles …. I am sure I asked some of them why , but I can't remember what I was told ...I do remember that bottle trees in the yard was to ward off spirits ….

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I can remember farm labor wearing coins on a string around their ankles …. I am sure I asked some of them why , but I can't remember what I was told ...I do remember that bottle trees in the yard was to ward off spirits ….
Im so old I remember party lines!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember party lines and jungle juice I dont think were on the same page or in the same book lol

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holed coins are normally a result of making them into wearable jewelry. This has been going on for thousands of years, probably since the first coins were made. Before pockets coins were carried in sacks or "pokes". Here in the old northeast we find old coppers with holes in the center which were used as washers on old slate roofs. I found a couple at a colonial era church and the pastor told me they had found a bunch of them still in place when part of the roof as repaired. They were not new coins when originally used on the roof, they were very worn English KG2 and KG3 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread