FOGGY HEADLIGHT LENSES

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
hey guys and gals. i did'nt know what forum to put this on so ? i figured some of you would be interested in this though. i cant believe the difference it made. night and day. anyway have you noticed how foggy those plastic lenses got over time ? some people probably just figure i have to buy new ones ? mine are 25 years old. anyway one day i was sitting there contemplating my next move in life. and i figured i'm tired of those fogged up lenses and how they got like that. i was thinking i would try toothpaste. but i did'nt. i knew they made some plastic polish for the job . but i had this other stuff in the exact same color bottle. but who cares what color bottle it is ? anyway it was for fixing scratches in car paint. so i tried it and i was astounded by the results. i should have taken before and after ? but i did'nt. only the after. so if you want to see better and let the other guy see you better after dark try this. not even 5 minutes of buffing each one. Murphy's law has a curse on me. but i'm one up on this one. HA ! 1030181021-00.jpg 1026181204-00.jpg and dont forget to shake it up real good. cuz all the good stuff is at the bottom.

Last edited:

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey guys and gals. i did'nt know what forum to put this on so ? i figured some of you would be interested in this though. i cant believe the difference it made. night and day. anyway have you noticed how foggy those plastic lenses got over time ? some people probably just figure i have to buy new ones ? mine are 25 years old. anyway one day i was sitting there contemplating my next move in life. and i figured i'm tired of those fogged up lenses and how they got like that. i was thinking i would try toothpaste. but i did'nt. i knew they made some plastic polish for the job . but i had this other stuff in the exact same color bottle. but who cares what color bottle it is ? anyway it was for fixing scratches in car paint. so i tried it and i was astounded by the results. i should have taken before and after ? but i did'nt. only the after. so if you want to see better and let the other guy see you better after dark try this. not even 5 minutes of buffing each one. Murphy's law has a curse on me. but i'm one up on this one. HA ! View attachment 1647472 View attachment 1647473 and dont forget to shake it up real good. cuz all the good stuff is at the bottom.

Don't forget to use a UV blocker type spray over them now or, you will be doing them again in about 6 months. I have done mine now about 6 times before I learned I needed to do that. My vehicle is 24 years old and it did not take another 24 years for them to get bad again...it happens a lot faster after polishing them for some reason. They look good though. Nice job.

Bill

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep woods Off mosquito spray on a cloth rag will remove the haze(yellowing) also, tried it on my work truck then did my own and a friends.Saw it on Youtube and it really works.

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget to use a UV blocker type spray over them now or, you will be doing them again in about 6 months. I have done mine now about 6 times before I learned I needed to do that. My vehicle is 24 years old and it did not take another 24 years for them to get bad again...it happens a lot faster after polishing them for some reason. They look good though. Nice job.

Bill

Bill is absolutely right. You will have to spay a coating of UVA/B protector on the lens and gently wipe it in. Scotchgard and other make this. Commonly used for making cloth material waterproof and resist fading.

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
naa ! this thing is 25 years old. it looks worse than i feel ? well maybe thats innacurate. i dont want to buy uv protector. i still have lots of this stuff left. if i have to do it again in the spring if i'm still kickin thats ok. and as for the mosquito spray ? forget that. i dont even use the stuff on my skin. who knows how many chemicals are floating around in my body let alone any left over a.d's thanks though

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep woods Off mosquito spray on a cloth rag will remove the haze(yellowing) also, tried it on my work truck then did my own and a friends.Saw it on Youtube and it really works.

I actually used Skin So Soft before on my lights and they actually looked good for a couple months.

Thank God car headlights don't do that much anymore on newer cars

randywa

Sep 29, 2017
S.W. Mo.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have and old can of spray cleaner with citric extract I use every few months. Just a quick spray and wipe with a towel and poof, clear lenses. No labor involved but I don't think it actually fixes anything either.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw a video a few years back where a guy wet sanded the lenses with something like 150 or finer sandpaper, then with 200 or 220 sandpaper, then used 0000 steel wool. When done and the yellowing was gone, he lightly sanded the lenses to make a contact surface, then sprayed them with UV protecting Clear Coat. I believe he put 5 coats on them and they looked like brand new headlight lenses. Thought about trying it but just never got around to it. I have some of the Scratch Out and have used it but never got the same results that nomad did.

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
I saw a video a few years back where a guy wet sanded the lenses with something like 150 or finer sandpaper, then with 200 or 220 sandpaper, then used 0000 steel wool. When done and the yellowing was gone, he lightly sanded the lenses to make a contact surface, then sprayed them with UV protecting Clear Coat. I believe he put 5 coats on them and they looked like brand new headlight lenses. Thought about trying it but just never got around to it. I have some of the Scratch Out and have used it but never got the same results that nomad did.
maybe you did'nt shake the bottle up good. remember all the good stuff is at the bottom. its like italian dressing if you dont shake it up all you get is oil on your salad. as for the sanding and the steel wool ? thats too much work. it probably depends on how cloudy they are ? but if had a picture of how they were before that would tell the whole story. but thats why i posted this because i see so many cars like this. and i want to be seen as much as possible by all the drunk and doped up drivers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread