Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree13Likes
  • 5 Post By nomad 11
  • 1 Post By PirateLabs
  • 1 Post By Back-of-the-boat
  • 1 Post By Clay Slayer
  • 1 Post By nomad 11
  • 1 Post By randywa
  • 1 Post By huntsman53
  • 2 Post By nomad 11

Thread: FOGGY HEADLIGHT LENSES

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    any tector i can get my hands on
    2094 times

FOGGY HEADLIGHT LENSES

hey guys and gals. i did'nt know what forum to put this on so ? i figured some of you would be interested in this though. i cant believe the difference it made. night and day. anyway have you noticed how foggy those plastic lenses got over time ? some people probably just figure i have to buy new ones ? mine are 25 years old. anyway one day i was sitting there contemplating my next move in life. and i figured i'm tired of those fogged up lenses and how they got like that. i was thinking i would try toothpaste. but i did'nt. i knew they made some plastic polish for the job . but i had this other stuff in the exact same color bottle. but who cares what color bottle it is ? anyway it was for fixing scratches in car paint. so i tried it and i was astounded by the results. i should have taken before and after ? but i did'nt. only the after. so if you want to see better and let the other guy see you better after dark try this. not even 5 minutes of buffing each one. Murphy's law has a curse on me. but i'm one up on this one. HA !Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1030181021-00.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	402.1 KB 
ID:	1647472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1026181204-00.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	363.1 KB 
ID:	1647473and dont forget to shake it up real good. cuz all the good stuff is at the bottom.
    Last edited by nomad 11; Oct 30, 2018 at 12:53 PM. Reason: uh huh

us
    Feb 2017
    Bowling Green, Kentucky
    Fisher F22
    410 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad 11 View Post
    hey guys and gals. i did'nt know what forum to put this on so ? i figured some of you would be interested in this though. i cant believe the difference it made. night and day. anyway have you noticed how foggy those plastic lenses got over time ? some people probably just figure i have to buy new ones ? mine are 25 years old. anyway one day i was sitting there contemplating my next move in life. and i figured i'm tired of those fogged up lenses and how they got like that. i was thinking i would try toothpaste. but i did'nt. i knew they made some plastic polish for the job . but i had this other stuff in the exact same color bottle. but who cares what color bottle it is ? anyway it was for fixing scratches in car paint. so i tried it and i was astounded by the results. i should have taken before and after ? but i did'nt. only the after. so if you want to see better and let the other guy see you better after dark try this. not even 5 minutes of buffing each one. Murphy's law has a curse on me. but i'm one up on this one. HA !Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1030181021-00.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	402.1 KB 
ID:	1647472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1026181204-00.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	363.1 KB 
ID:	1647473and dont forget to shake it up real good. cuz all the good stuff is at the bottom.
    Don't forget to use a UV blocker type spray over them now or, you will be doing them again in about 6 months. I have done mine now about 6 times before I learned I needed to do that. My vehicle is 24 years old and it did not take another 24 years for them to get bad again...it happens a lot faster after polishing them for some reason. They look good though. Nice job.

Bill
    Diggin-N-Dumps likes this.
    Detectorist

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    4331 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Deep woods Off mosquito spray on a cloth rag will remove the haze(yellowing) also, tried it on my work truck then did my own and a friends.Saw it on Youtube and it really works.
    back of the boat

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2011
    Cajun Country
    Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer
    191 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateLabs View Post
    Don't forget to use a UV blocker type spray over them now or, you will be doing them again in about 6 months. I have done mine now about 6 times before I learned I needed to do that. My vehicle is 24 years old and it did not take another 24 years for them to get bad again...it happens a lot faster after polishing them for some reason. They look good though. Nice job.

Bill
    Bill is absolutely right. You will have to spay a coating of UVA/B protector on the lens and gently wipe it in. Scotchgard and other make this. Commonly used for making cloth material waterproof and resist fading.
    PirateLabs likes this.
    Evolution stopped when stupidity became painless...

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    2094 times
    naa ! this thing is 25 years old. it looks worse than i feel ? well maybe thats innacurate. i dont want to buy uv protector. i still have lots of this stuff left. if i have to do it again in the spring if i'm still kickin thats ok. and as for the mosquito spray ? forget that. i dont even use the stuff on my skin. who knows how many chemicals are floating around in my body let alone any left over a.d's thanks though
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Diggin up TEXAS!

Sep 2009
    Fort Worth,Texas
    CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
    3472 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-of-the-boat View Post
    Deep woods Off mosquito spray on a cloth rag will remove the haze(yellowing) also, tried it on my work truck then did my own and a friends.Saw it on Youtube and it really works.

I actually used Skin So Soft before on my lights and they actually looked good for a couple months.

Thank God car headlights don't do that much anymore on newer cars

us
    Sep 2017
    S.W. Mo.
    Garrett Ace 250
    223 times
    I have and old can of spray cleaner with citric extract I use every few months. Just a quick spray and wipe with a towel and poof, clear lenses. No labor involved but I don't think it actually fixes anything either.

us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6452 times
    I saw a video a few years back where a guy wet sanded the lenses with something like 150 or finer sandpaper, then with 200 or 220 sandpaper, then used 0000 steel wool. When done and the yellowing was gone, he lightly sanded the lenses to make a contact surface, then sprayed them with UV protecting Clear Coat. I believe he put 5 coats on them and they looked like brand new headlight lenses. Thought about trying it but just never got around to it. I have some of the Scratch Out and have used it but never got the same results that nomad did.
    PirateLabs likes this.

us
    nomad roman numeral 2

Nov 2009
    nomads land
    2094 times
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman53 View Post
    I saw a video a few years back where a guy wet sanded the lenses with something like 150 or finer sandpaper, then with 200 or 220 sandpaper, then used 0000 steel wool. When done and the yellowing was gone, he lightly sanded the lenses to make a contact surface, then sprayed them with UV protecting Clear Coat. I believe he put 5 coats on them and they looked like brand new headlight lenses. Thought about trying it but just never got around to it. I have some of the Scratch Out and have used it but never got the same results that nomad did.
    maybe you did'nt shake the bottle up good. remember all the good stuff is at the bottom. its like italian dressing if you dont shake it up all you get is oil on your salad. as for the sanding and the steel wool ? thats too much work. it probably depends on how cloudy they are ? but if had a picture of how they were before that would tell the whole story. but thats why i posted this because i see so many cars like this. and i want to be seen as much as possible by all the drunk and doped up drivers
    huntsman53 and A2coins like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    24324 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    lol true statement
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links