Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Permission Revoked (lets hear some of your stories)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16
    us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    998
    2191 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by BLK HOLE View Post
    I hate door knocking but finally stopped by some houses that I had been eyeballing for awhile and got permission from the owner then hit the house next door and got their permission also. I told the owner of the first property that I would call in advance when I was coming over, so that weekend I called her and she said that her daughter and son-in-law (who live with her...parasites) were going to detect it so permission revoked....to top it off I checked in the neighbor and she said she was going to let her neighbors daughter and son-in-law detect her property first....
    They hit you with a double whammy.

  2. #17
    Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

    Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    21,234
    26243 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I have a chesp bounty hunter thats goes deeper and solid than my equinox but not even close to how deep and solid my at max goes lol the equinox is a little better in water. sorry you lost your permission thats a bummer
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)


    SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

  3. #18
    Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

    Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    21,234
    26243 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    This is one reason I dont ask permissiond to each his own
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)


    SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

  4. #19
    Charter Member
    us
    Gare or Gary

    Dec 2012
    Canton Ohio Area
    699
    914 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I have been given permission to detect places then called me back and cancelled it. When we mention metal Detecting people start thinking maybe them selves or a relative would get a detector and find the stuff ( I understand this and do not blame the people) Some deny it because they are afraid of getting there lawn all tore up and i understand this also. When i go ask a place for permission i always take pictures of my finds i have donated back to the Historical Societies and share them with the owners. I try and converse with the owners and ask what they know of the area . I do not come right out and say (Example) This area was a early settlement and make have valuable coins or relics there. This is just a short view on my part . Hope you don't mind my opinion !!
    Only TWO things in the world that spook my horses THINGS THAT MOVE and THINGS THAT DON'T MOVE !!!

  5. #20
    us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    998
    2191 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I have been given permission to detect places then called me back and cancelled it. When we mention metal Detecting people start thinking maybe them selves or a relative would get a detector and find the stuff ( I understand this and do not blame the people) Some deny it because they are afraid of getting there lawn all tore up and i understand this also. When i go ask a place for permission i always take pictures of my finds i have donated back to the Historical Societies and share them with the owners. I try and converse with the owners and ask what they know of the area . I do not come right out and say (Example) This area was a early settlement and make have valuable coins or relics there. This is just a short view on my part . Hope you don't mind my opinion !!
    I appreciate your opinion. In my case they were my dad's neighbors so we had that connection and we had a good report with them, talking about their history and in general it felt like a win as they were happy to see what we found and we even offered them stuff. Then the kids got their own ideas about what could be there. I don't blame them for it, but it was frustrating to have the script flipped on us and we could not return. There's always another place though!

  6. #21
    us
    Jan 2018
    North Atlanta
    Equinox 800, 6" coil, ProFind-35 pinpointer, sold: AT Pro with stock coil, Nel Thunder, Garrett 5" x 8" coil, Garrett Carrot.
    433
    735 times
    Relic Hunting
    Heard this story from a metal detecting friends of mine I met one day metal detecting up at Lake Lanier north of Atlanta. They had a great spot in rural Georgia that he and his buddy hunted. But some other guy got permission from the owner to hold a club metal detecting hunt. After the club hunt the owner was so pi**ed off about all the trash left on his property by the club members and the holes not covered up, he even revoked my friends permission and would not let anyone on his property to metal detect. You would think metal detecting club member would know better. Probably just a few jerks in the club that caused the problem. Another reason I see no purpose in joining a club unless you just want to go out and drink after the meeting. This hobby for me is a solitary one with the exception of sharing info and hunting with a few trusted buddies. I get 99% of my helpful information from forums and youtube videos.

  7. #22
    Charter Member
    us
    Rook

    Nov 2013
    Mississippi
    XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
    10,268
    27576 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I was run off a closed middle school that's public. The guy sent his wormy hit man to do the job. I taught him a lesson and didn't go back.
    GB1, xcopperstax and sprailroad like this.
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

  8. #23
    be
    Oct 2016
    Belgium
    Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab Excallibur, Xp Deus, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Tesoro Bandido Umax, Teknetics Omega 8000
    246
    314 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by pulltabfelix View Post
    Heard this story from a metal detecting friends of mine I met one day metal detecting up at Lake Lanier north of Atlanta. They had a great spot in rural Georgia that he and his buddy hunted. But some other guy got permission from the owner to hold a club metal detecting hunt. After the club hunt the owner was so pi**ed off about all the trash left on his property by the club members and the holes not covered up, he even revoked my friends permission and would not let anyone on his property to metal detect. You would think metal detecting club member would know better. Probably just a few jerks in the club that caused the problem. Another reason I see no purpose in joining a club unless you just want to go out and drink after the meeting. This hobby for me is a solitary one with the exception of sharing info and hunting with a few trusted buddies. I get 99% of my helpful information from forums and youtube videos.
    Was also thinking about putting some video's on youtube.I have some really good places i hunt. But because i'm living in a small country the downside is that most of these places are known by view and i'm affraid to give to much information to other hunters and give away my best places. So i don't post video's for the moment.
    Last edited by Peter67; Nov 14, 2018 at 07:18 AM.

  9. #24
    us
    Oct 2018
    Michigan
    Tesoro Tejon and Mojave
    236
    151 times
    Metal Detecting
    Seems to me, that when door knocking, it's probably a good idea to have a detector with you and ready to hunt. I guess when people have to much time to think about it, thats when they get cold feet and cancel the gig.
    GB1 and xcopperstax like this.

  10. #25
    us
    Feb 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
    245
    161 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I was looking for an old town location and met a nice gentlemen (94 years old) who owned part of the land that it was on. Time flew by as we talked about how he own and ran a dairy farm, traveled all over to race cars on dirt tracks, the old town and things like his grandfather who rode a stage coach and supply wagons. He then took me over to an old building that was a one room schoolhouse that he attended. We went inside and he showed me a bunch of old photos of the school and surrounding area.


    I asked him if I could detect and he said yes. WOW! I started swinging by an old tree (as seen from a photo he showed me). My first target was a 1900's wheatie, good sign! About 10 minutes later his daughter (late 50's?) showed up and said I had to leave and walked away. Although I will probably never get to detect there I think the real treasure in my mind was the history this man shared with me that day!
    GB1, xcopperstax and sprailroad like this.

  11. #26
    us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    998
    2191 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler View Post
    I was looking for an old town location and met a nice gentlemen (94 years old) who owned part of the land that it was on. Time flew by as we talked about how he own and ran a dairy farm, traveled all over to race cars on dirt tracks, the old town and things like his grandfather who rode a stage coach and supply wagons. He then took me over to an old building that was a one room schoolhouse that he attended. We went inside and he showed me a bunch of old photos of the school and surrounding area.


    I asked him if I could detect and he said yes. WOW! I started swinging by an old tree (as seen from a photo he showed me). My first target was a 1900's wheatie, good sign! About 10 minutes later his daughter (late 50's?) showed up and said I had to leave and walked away. Although I will probably never get to detect there I think the real treasure in my mind was the history this man shared with me that day!
    Similar to my story!

  12. #27

    Feb 2007
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Whites V3 and XLT
    3,987
    845 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    I can feel your and everyone else’s pain when a permission gets revoked. . . I would rather get a “no” by the property owner before I even start to hunt.


    About 6-years ago, I asked the homeowner of an older home (circa 1914) if I could detect his backyard yard and he said: “Sure, have at it”. After about 15-minutes of detecting, I had found a sterling silver Boy Scout ring, a worn Barber Dime plus, several wheat pennies. When he came over and asked if I was finding anything good, I showed him what I had found. Since it was his property, I asked if he wanted any of my finds but he refused. I insisted that he at least take the silver Scout ring and the Barber dime. . . which he happily thanked me for.


    I continued my hunt and about 40-minutes later (and 5 Mercury dimes richer), I noticed the owner’s wife drive up. After getting out of her car and having a conversation with her husband, she started walking toward me and did not have a smile on her face. She demanded that I give her everything I had found and told me to leave. After politely giving her the 5 Mercury dimes I had just found, the only saving grace was the look on her face when I also handed her all the “trash” from my pouch as well.
    GB1, SD51, sprailroad and 1 others like this.

  13. #28
    Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

    Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    1,993
    2931 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by pulltabfelix View Post
    Heard this story from a metal detecting friends of mine I met one day metal detecting up at Lake Lanier north of Atlanta. They had a great spot in rural Georgia that he and his buddy hunted. But some other guy got permission from the owner to hold a club metal detecting hunt. After the club hunt the owner was so pi**ed off about all the trash left on his property by the club members and the holes not covered up, he even revoked my friends permission and would not let anyone on his property to metal detect. You would think metal detecting club member would know better. Probably just a few jerks in the club that caused the problem. Another reason I see no purpose in joining a club unless you just want to go out and drink after the meeting. This hobby for me is a solitary one with the exception of sharing info and hunting with a few trusted buddies. I get 99% of my helpful information from forums and youtube videos.
    Does not sound like they were much of a metal detecting "club". If they were, yes, they SHOULD of known better. Sounds more like they were an inexperienced mob with metal detectors. Really sorry they messed it up for you and perhaps others in general. Only takes a few.
    GB1 and xcopperstax like this.

  14. #29
    us
    Oct 2018
    Michigan
    Tesoro Tejon and Mojave
    236
    151 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by watercolor View Post
    I can feel your and everyone else’s pain when a permission gets revoked. . . I would rather get a “no” by the property owner before I even start to hunt.


    About 6-years ago, I asked the homeowner of an older home (circa 1914) if I could detect his backyard yard and he said: “Sure, have at it”. After about 15-minutes of detecting, I had found a sterling silver Boy Scout ring, a worn Barber Dime plus, several wheat pennies. When he came over and asked if I was finding anything good, I showed him what I had found. Since it was his property, I asked if he wanted any of my finds but he refused. I insisted that he at least take the silver Scout ring and the Barber dime. . . which he happily thanked me for.


    I continued my hunt and about 40-minutes later (and 5 Mercury dimes richer), I noticed the owner’s wife drive up. After getting out of her car and having a conversation with her husband, she started walking toward me and did not have a smile on her face. She demanded that I give her everything I had found and told me to leave. After politely giving her the 5 Mercury dimes I had just found, the only saving grace was the look on her face when I also handed her all the “trash” from my pouch as well.
    I would of just gave her the trash and left.
    GB1 and xcopperstax like this.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Permission revoked!
    By Tommybuckets in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Aug 09, 2018, 10:55 PM
  2. Id love to hear some good tennessee hunting stories
    By adaminnh in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Dec 16, 2012, 05:52 PM
  3. Lets hear your cache stories, post them here
    By larson1951 in forum North American Indian Artifacts
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Nov 06, 2011, 10:28 PM
  4. i hear alot of stories about this money
    By redneckblues in forum Cache Hunting
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: Apr 28, 2011, 07:38 PM
  5. OJs Bail Revoked
    By jeff of pa in forum Comedy Central
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jan 11, 2008, 03:52 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0