Permission Revoked (let's hear some of your stories)

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Heard this story from a metal detecting friends of mine I met one day metal detecting up at Lake Lanier north of Atlanta. They had a great spot in rural Georgia that he and his buddy hunted. But some other guy got permission from the owner to hold a club metal detecting hunt. After the club hunt the owner was so pi**ed off about all the trash left on his property by the club members and the holes not covered up, he even revoked my friends permission and would not let anyone on his property to metal detect. You would think metal detecting club member would know better. Probably just a few jerks in the club that caused the problem. Another reason I see no purpose in joining a club unless you just want to go out and drink after the meeting. This hobby for me is a solitary one with the exception of sharing info and hunting with a few trusted buddies. I get 99% of my helpful information from forums and youtube videos.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was run off a closed middle school that's public. The guy sent his wormy hit man to do the job. I taught him a lesson and didn't go back.:laughing7:

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heard this story from a metal detecting friends of mine I met one day metal detecting up at Lake Lanier north of Atlanta. They had a great spot in rural Georgia that he and his buddy hunted. But some other guy got permission from the owner to hold a club metal detecting hunt. After the club hunt the owner was so pi**ed off about all the trash left on his property by the club members and the holes not covered up, he even revoked my friends permission and would not let anyone on his property to metal detect. You would think metal detecting club member would know better. Probably just a few jerks in the club that caused the problem. Another reason I see no purpose in joining a club unless you just want to go out and drink after the meeting. This hobby for me is a solitary one with the exception of sharing info and hunting with a few trusted buddies. I get 99% of my helpful information from forums and youtube videos.

Was also thinking about putting some video's on youtube.I have some really good places i hunt. But because i'm living in a small country the downside is that most of these places are known by view and i'm affraid to give to much information to other hunters and give away my best places. So i don't post video's for the moment.

Last edited:

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems to me, that when door knocking, it's probably a good idea to have a detector with you and ready to hunt. I guess when people have to much time to think about it, thats when they get cold feet and cancel the gig.

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
I was looking for an old town location and met a nice gentlemen (94 years old) who owned part of the land that it was on. Time flew by as we talked about how he own and ran a dairy farm, traveled all over to race cars on dirt tracks, the old town and things like his grandfather who rode a stage coach and supply wagons. He then took me over to an old building that was a one room schoolhouse that he attended. We went inside and he showed me a bunch of old photos of the school and surrounding area.

I asked him if I could detect and he said yes. WOW! I started swinging by an old tree (as seen from a photo he showed me). My first target was a 1900's wheatie, good sign! About 10 minutes later his daughter (late 50's?) showed up and said I had to leave and walked away. Although I will probably never get to detect there I think the real treasure in my mind was the history this man shared with me that day!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking for an old town location and met a nice gentlemen (94 years old) who owned part of the land that it was on. Time flew by as we talked about how he own and ran a dairy farm, traveled all over to race cars on dirt tracks, the old town and things like his grandfather who rode a stage coach and supply wagons. He then took me over to an old building that was a one room schoolhouse that he attended. We went inside and he showed me a bunch of old photos of the school and surrounding area.

I asked him if I could detect and he said yes. WOW! I started swinging by an old tree (as seen from a photo he showed me). My first target was a 1900's wheatie, good sign! About 10 minutes later his daughter (late 50's?) showed up and said I had to leave and walked away. Although I will probably never get to detect there I think the real treasure in my mind was the history this man shared with me that day!

Similar to my story!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can feel your and everyone else’s pain when a permission gets revoked. . . I would rather get a “no” by the property owner before I even start to hunt.

About 6-years ago, I asked the homeowner of an older home (circa 1914) if I could detect his backyard yard and he said: “Sure, have at it”. After about 15-minutes of detecting, I had found a sterling silver Boy Scout ring, a worn Barber Dime plus, several wheat pennies. When he came over and asked if I was finding anything good, I showed him what I had found. Since it was his property, I asked if he wanted any of my finds but he refused. I insisted that he at least take the silver Scout ring and the Barber dime. . . which he happily thanked me for.

I continued my hunt and about 40-minutes later (and 5 Mercury dimes richer), I noticed the owner’s wife drive up. After getting out of her car and having a conversation with her husband, she started walking toward me and did not have a smile on her face. She demanded that I give her everything I had found and told me to leave. After politely giving her the 5 Mercury dimes I had just found, the only saving grace was the look on her face when I also handed her all the “trash” from my pouch as well.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Does not sound like they were much of a metal detecting "club". If they were, yes, they SHOULD of known better. Sounds more like they were an inexperienced mob with metal detectors. Really sorry they messed it up for you and perhaps others in general. Only takes a few.

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can feel your and everyone else’s pain when a permission gets revoked. . . I would rather get a “no” by the property owner before I even start to hunt.

About 6-years ago, I asked the homeowner of an older home (circa 1914) if I could detect his backyard yard and he said: “Sure, have at it”. After about 15-minutes of detecting, I had found a sterling silver Boy Scout ring, a worn Barber Dime plus, several wheat pennies. When he came over and asked if I was finding anything good, I showed him what I had found. Since it was his property, I asked if he wanted any of my finds but he refused. I insisted that he at least take the silver Scout ring and the Barber dime. . . which he happily thanked me for.

I continued my hunt and about 40-minutes later (and 5 Mercury dimes richer), I noticed the owner’s wife drive up. After getting out of her car and having a conversation with her husband, she started walking toward me and did not have a smile on her face. She demanded that I give her everything I had found and told me to leave. After politely giving her the 5 Mercury dimes I had just found, the only saving grace was the look on her face when I also handed her all the “trash” from my pouch as well.

I would of just gave her the trash and left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions