Been a lurker, but just joined this site tonight.

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there. I have been following posts for a few weeks now. I am trying to decide what my first detector will be. I am interested in searching for jewelry and coins only. I live in south Texas, and may make trips to the beaches a few times. My price range is $200 to $400. I am a petite female, so I don't want anything too heavy. While in Corpus, I met a nice gentleman who let me swing his Equinox 800-WHAT A TREAT! I just can't afford that right now. I know I could get very addicted to this activity, I have always been interested in searching for treasures! Any advice is great appreciated. Thanks from a newbie. 8-)

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard and good luck detecting !!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard from florida......and digging is truly addictive.....but it's good therapy.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Lot's of detectors in that price range...but I wouldn't take any of them to the beach...welcome. I have Lots of family in Corpus..Port Aransas..

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and-there-was-much-rejoicing.jpg ...WELCOME!

OP
OP
Rings&bling

Rings&bling

Nov 2, 2018
Denver, Colorado
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lairmo,

Can you tell me why you say that? I see you have the Garrett AT Pro. I am looking at a used one-it's between that and a White's.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! I spent some time a Fort Sam years ago. Very nice area and there should be some really great places to hunt out that way. Good luck!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful hobby. There are some great lightweight detectors out there but by moving your price range up just a couple hundred dollars you could have an Equinox 600 (pretty much just like the 800). The huge difference and reason you will really want one is if you get the urge at some point to hunt salt water. Most detectors might work well in dry sand but not wet or water. Maybe ask for some gift cards for Christmas?

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Wonderful hobby. There are some great lightweight detectors out there but by moving your price range up just a couple hundred dollars you could have an Equinox 600 (pretty much just like the 800). The huge difference and reason you will really want one is if you get the urge at some point to hunt salt water. Most detectors might work well in dry sand but not wet or water. Maybe ask for some gift cards for Christmas?
What SusanMN said....Rings&bling, I wouldn't take the ATP to salt water...dry beach hunting probably.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
R&B, Welcome to the Tnet Forum from Georgia. Watch videos on Utube, a great research tool in shopping for metal detectors. Best of Luck to you in your quest, and yes this hobby is awfully addictive.....but in a very good way.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Tons of great detectors out there, all kinds of prices, too.
To answer your question and staying in your stated budget I know of one...the Ameritek Patriot.
Light, ergonomic, finds coins and jewelry it is a religion with this thing.
Works great on factory out of the box settings and if you want to explore the many great settings and features it is easy to learn and tweak at your own pace.
Oh yea, one of the few detectors at this price that will balance down to salt...something that is needed if you are going to hunt on saltwater beaches.
Priced at $449 but it is very easy to get a $50 discount from agents and that price includes free shipping.
I have a Fisher F70, the exact same detector but when it used to be sold under another name and at twice the price.

Mine found me hundreds of dollars in clad, a large amount of old coins and jewelry up the ying yang.
I paid for mine within the first 4 months I owned it with the gold I found just hunting publc parks.

Just food for thought.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro is a single frequency machine, which does fine is fresh water and sand and on land. But sea water is mineralized and single frequency machines will become unstable, and give false signals in sea water and salt sand to the point you canโ€™t tell whether or not you have an actual target. For sea water you need a multi frequency detector like the Equinox, Excalibur or 3030.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome from east TX

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk to a dealer look at the options like a car

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from MI Tommy

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Total detecting addict welcomes you from Southern Louisiana. Be ready for your life to change.

P.S. Louisiana loves Texas โค๏ธ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread