A few questions for those who have made coin rings

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am really wanting to do this, my first question would be what ring mandrel would be best. I was thinking a smooth steel mandrel are there any that are smooth yet still have the sizes on them? The coins I want to do are the newer Mexican coins with the two different colors, the bi-metal ones.I know harbor freight has a punch set to pop out the center and I am wanting to do the pvc pipe technique where you tap the ring down the mandrel until it turns the center outward to form the ring.So my second question would be, do you add heat to help the process or will that make the metal brittle and cause the coin to break?If you have links or advice please feel free to give me all you can.If I don't get back to this thread today it is because I'm on my way out to go to the hills to go detecting and take a drive with the wife.

Last edited:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I am really wanting to do this, my first question would be what ring mandrel would be best. I was thinking a smooth steel mandrel are there any that are smooth yet still have the sizes on them? The coins I want to do are the newer Mexican coins with the two different colors, the bi-metal ones.I know harbor freight has a punch set to pop out the center and I am wanting to do the pvc pipe technique where you tap the ring down the mandrel until it turns the center outward to form the ring.So my second question would be, do you add heat to help the process or will that make the metal brittle and cause the coin to break?If you have links or advice please feel free to give me all you can.If I don't get back to this thread today it is because I'm on my way out to go to the hills to go detecting and take a drive with the wife.

I watched a video on YouTube about making coin spinner rings...I have an antique spinner that I really like a lot.

This YT video was very detailed in how to do that...I haven't looked for making just a coin ring, but it couldn't be much different. I'd check there.

Make sure and post it if you do make one!

Kace

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope you figure it out. My wife and I had our wedding rings made from the same Morgan. Well the one she wears to work :) IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0012.JPG

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a ton of youtube videos on this topic . Watch a bunch of these - you'll be good to go very soon !

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just like any metal that will be worked cold you need to anneal the metal. Which is heating it up and letting it cool slowly. you may even have to anneal in between reaming it on the mandrel

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John-Edmonton here, makes these, and has done some videos & tutorials on them.
Search his posts, you may find additional info & good luck with your new endeavor.
I typed in search, "make a coin ring", you'll get a few pages of convo's on the subject.
GL & HH....

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...ngs-3-hours-hibernating-treasure-hunters.html

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...g-instructions-plus-other-ring-creations.html

Thank you for the lead, the first link is the exact style I am going to try first and John's post answered one of my questions on annealing the coin .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread