Do yuou pick up hitchikers?

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AurumHunter024

May 10, 2018
CO, 4 corners
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hitchhike on occasion and have quite a bit in my past so I do pick up hitch hikers as well. However, I'm selective about those that I pick up. If their hygiene appears to be in shambles and they stink they can walk.
Give a ride... get a ride.

I was hitching a ride with a bunch of friends (late teens early twentys) one day and we set out in groups of 2 or 3. Us ugly guys went first and walked the furthest down the highway and we sent the hot gals last. As my partner and I were walking down the highway with our thumbs out for traffic, a little red isuzu pichup pulled up with all of our friends in the back, except the girls. Not bad, I'd say. We were only out for about 30 minutes before we ALL got the same ride. WOO HOO!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately I pick up these little hitch hikers every now and then... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1541529099.276926.jpg

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , Only place to go is South to the big city. In every other directions theres a few small towns then nothing for 2000 miles. Don,t think hitchhiking is much good. Never Never go there or will never come back.TP

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hitched all the way across America and around many parts of it. I have been thrown in jail by overzealous police, and I have been invited to some nice meals. Of course this was over fifty years ago. I do pick up hitch hikers to this day but it does depend on their appearance and where I am. I hope should my car ever break down and I need a ride that some kind individual would have the decency to pick me up. Hitching in Normandy, France in 1970 with two American girls we got a ride from an older guy (we were early 20s) and he pointed out his house as we passed by it and he said he had to go further into town to pick up something for his wife. He asked us to stay in the car and said he would drive us to a nearby highway we wanted to be on and he went into a store. He came out with a bouquet of flowers which we thought were for his wife. He drove us a few more miles to the road we needed and turned and gave us the flowers, saying with tears in his eyes that they were for our fathers and uncles and even neighbors who had freed his town and country from the Germans in W2. We all cried. We had been through towns where there were fields with thousands of white crosses marking the resting places of US and Allied soldiers from the great invasion known as D-Day. It was very touching experience, the man spoke no English but one of the girls was fluent in French and did all the translating.

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On a cold windy middle of winter day in MI. my car overheated about 10 miles N. of Three Rivers MI. I had no tools with me to get to the thermostat so I started to walk S. I wasn't hitchhiking and had gone about 1 mile. A car pulled over and I walked up to it. It was a beautiful lady with 3 young children in the backseat. She had a pair of twins about 2 y/o and a 5 y/o. She just asked if I needed a ride somewhere? I was so surprised. I got in and started to warm up while she just yapped and yapped. Never would I think a beautiful mother of 3 would stop w/her children aboard and pick up a stranger. She gave me a ride to Three Rivers and from there I called a friend to come from Constantine to get me (8 mile trip).

I truly thanked her for the ride over and over and DID greatly appreciate the help. But I did bring up my concern about her picking up complete strangers with her children in tow while I was getting out. Damn she got pissed... and there was NO going back from there. While I know she meant well, did well... I felt it was a mistake. That was about 40+ years ago and I still feel bad about pissing her off.

EDITED: If the above scenario was reversed exactly.... would it be the "same thing"? This meaning if she got into my car with 3 young children in tow would she be helping her children or putting them at risk? I think it might be the same thing. The major thing here is the horrible cold and wind. The car's heater for them would not be available.

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Summit County we don't see that many, due to the free bus system we have. If you do see one with their thumb out, it very well could be because they have been banned from the Summit Stage buses, and there was probably a good reason for that. I don't stop for them, but others do, and so far no incidents reported.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was growing up it was normal to see and to pick up hitchhikers, but today you don't see one that often, I did pick up a guy a few years ago it didn't go very well:unhappysmiley:

Please share your experience...I think we are all ears!!

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
when I was in my twenties growing up in the rural south, I picked up hitchhikers and hitchhiked myself. Never had a problem, except one Airman gave me a ride and ask if I wanted to come back to his trailer to see his remote control air planes. I said no, and he let me out near my destination without any problem. I never pick up girls now, because I have seen too many movies where there is always a guy hiding in the bushes with a gun or knife. Don't know how true that is in real life, but keeps me from risking it. Another time my summer job when I was 18 was helping a guy change the anodes in water tanks. That required paddling around in the water tower in a rubber boat. One afternoon he picked up two teens hitchhiking and that night he got two rooms one for himself and the girls and one for me. I could hear they were having a real good time that night. I guess he didn't want to share.

Dragonscout

Nov 1, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO (formerly) - Tesoro Mojave, and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're in Georgia, what are turn signals?? And I'm left-handed so it doesn't bother me...

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was 16 I rode around with a pellet pistol stuck between the seat and center consul Why? Because I was 16. It was there so long that I didn't even think about it. I picked up a girl Hitcher about my age and she immediately went into chatting non stop. She really was quite entertaining. All of a sudden she went pale and deathly quiet. I asked her what was wrong and she started begging me to pull over and let her out. Then I realized that she had spotted the butt of the pellet pistol and thought I was going to take her out! Even after I told her it was only a pellet pistol she wanted nothing to do with any further transportation so I happily let her out. Pretty sure I cured her of hitching for life. Poor thing. Who needs to hitch hike anymore? We've got Uber!

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
i never see any hitch hikers anymore. Rutger Hauer scared the ba Jeebers out of all of em. i remember seeing pictures on the net of naked or half naked girls hitchin a ride in the 60's. but dang if i'd be lucky enough to see it in real life ? i'm still lookin for a good luck charm.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
I guess it really depends. So many factors to consider.
hitching-a-ride-picture-id508467423
and it looks like she pee'd her pants ? or is it just a optacle ballusion ? oh well i can look past that ? after all i dont see a tree close enough for her ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread