Another question

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any Civil War relic , coin , or other relic type that many hunters in your area have found but still eludes you.?

I guess it depends on how much you have hunted your area & years hunting.

Me ill say 2 things Civil War related , 1 is a Breast Plate , I've seen many dug since 2012 but still I have never even found a piece of 1 in almost 20 years ( 10 of that was Hard hunting ie, 2+ days a week with many 6-10 hour days.). The 2'd I'd say is a NC Sun-Burst Button . Most dedicated Relic hunters seem to have dug at-least 1 in my general area. I bought one 6 years ago , that was found between Kennessaw Mountain & Dalton GA. Note instead of Uniforms (that the Command in Dalton in winter 1863-64 wanted) the Governor of North Carolina sent Buttons , most had weak shanks & broke easily. That said both make for HIGH tones & were fairly easily found by 'OG' Relic hunters in the 1960's --1980's & even 1990's .

As for coins , I still have never dug a large cent ( un-modified) , They are scarce in N Ga's Soil but they have been dug. Seated Coins have been dug here & there , tho from what I've seen most are from the CW period or Before , 1870-1880's Seated & others from that time period are rare for me & most others 'Unless you go to Savannah & the close by SC Low Country.

Reconstruction after the war was a hard time in the South and our finds in coinage show that IMO.
HH
Davers

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm right there with you Dave. I have never dug a NC button (although my hunting Buddy did right in front of me) and the only breast plate I have was sent to me as a gift from one of our upstanding members of this forum. Probably means more to me because of that.
Our day will come. [emoji256]

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
civil war a three ringer and a belt plate. A 1800's silver coin,and the 1880's bottle dump on my property

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
For me, it's a 2 cent coin or a shield nickel. Love the designs of that period.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm right there with you Dave. I have never dug a NC button (although my hunting Buddy did right in front of me) and the only breast plate I have was sent to me as a gift from one of our upstanding members of this forum. Probably means more to me because of that.
Our day will come. [emoji256]

Kinda like you I got a couple & a Half of one "Breast Plate's" that I've won in raffles & club hunts since becoming a club member in 2013 , a couple even have 'location tags' like Shilo , Vicksburg , ill take their word for it until I can get soil samples from these locations lol.

Our day shall Come as you said.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
civil war a three ringer and a belt plate. A 1800's silver coin,and the 1880's bottle dump on my property

The belt Plate eludes me , I been blessed with a couple 1800's Silvers , & the only bottle dump on my small property is the pit they threw construction debris in in 1984.

Best Wishes Goldboy.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, it's a 2 cent coin or a shield nickel. Love the designs of that period.

I'd 'freak' over either of those coins as well .

Now I know what to get you for Christmas.

OH!
E-mail to come , that's 1 long hour sorry.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have just started my civil war relic search the past 3 months. Been hunting along Peachtree Creek and along Chattahoochee river. I have come to the conclusion that these areas near the creek and river are tough because of the flood plain burying everything really deep. Peachree Creek and the Chattahoochee often overflow into the flood plains. So far any CW relics have eluded me.

On the coinage after the civil war it was US Coins and the southerners were not eager to use US Coins. The confederacy never did mint and have in circulation any significant amount of coins if any. Add this to the fact that the south was before, during and after the CW a rural agricultural barter economy we did not have the amount of US coins from 1890 - 1930's like the Northern states did with their booming manufacturing base. One does not find old coins in the south like you do up north.

Civil war relics in Atlanta and north Atlanta are getting more scarce for these reasons. The battles ares along Peachtree creek below Buckhead are 100% commercial or very high priced homes. Getting permissions is difficulty at best. Battle areas west, east and south of Atlanta are in areas that most metal detectorists who watches the evening news will not go into with an expensive metal detector. Expensive metal detector equals drug money.

The only good places are northwest Georgia areas around battles from Chattanooga to above Marietta, ga. But you almost have to know a relative or childhood friend to get permission to hunt on a farm near the battle fields.

If anyone has better information on civil war relic prospects in these areas, I would love to hear from you.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I am the only focused detectorist in NY that has never found a large cent. And I go places seeking only one of those.

Must be a curse.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think I am the only focused detectorist in NY that has never found a large cent. And I go places seeking only one of those.

Must be a curse.

Take a trip up to the Green mountains in VT. Brad of Green Mountain Metal Detecting has some good videos and seems to find quite a few large cents. And he seems to not have to deal with a lot of trash other than shot gun shells. But Brad seems to know where to get permissions, being a local. That might be a fly in the ointment here with this plan.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Must be a curse.

It's GOT! to be Charlie P .
From what I've seen dug up your way.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just started my civil war relic search the past 3 months. Been hunting along Peachtree Creek and along Chattahoochee river. I have come to the conclusion that these areas near the creek and river are tough because of the flood plain burying everything really deep. Peachree Creek and the Chattahoochee often overflow into the flood plains. So far any CW relics have eluded me.

On the coinage after the civil war it was US Coins and the southerners were not eager to use US Coins. The confederacy never did mint and have in circulation any significant amount of coins if any. Add this to the fact that the south was before, during and after the CW a rural agricultural barter economy we did not have the amount of US coins from 1890 - 1930's like the Northern states did with their booming manufacturing base. One does not find old coins in the south like you do up north.

Civil war relics in Atlanta and north Atlanta are getting more scarce for these reasons. The battles ares along Peachtree creek below Buckhead are 100% commercial or very high priced homes. Getting permissions is difficulty at best. Battle areas west, east and south of Atlanta are in areas that most metal detectorists who watches the evening news will not go into with an expensive metal detector. Expensive metal detector equals drug money.

The only good places are northwest Georgia areas around battles from Chattanooga to above Marietta, ga. But you almost have to know a relative or childhood friend to get permission to hunt on a farm near the battle fields.

If anyone has better information on civil war relic prospects in these areas, I would love to hear from you.

Again
You are "Spot on" for our area.

Peachtree Creek is almost impossible , I've thought about Kyak-ing the creek but there is sooo much deep trash (luck would have to be with you ) & on the N-Side The most trashless part of the River is off limits as is the land around it up to Roswell.
There are private owners in that area but most live large as you said.

Relics in Atlanta (N-side) & west side can be found , we just have to really work hard for them (real hard) 'ill likely need new Ankles in 10-15 years , + knees . lol

You have never dug a Civil War relic yet?

Would a fired Minnie or 2 make you very happy , if so I can ask a guy I know , I just need to put his Display (that I been promising since August) it's not that i'm lame , I just overthink everything 'OCD' & want the perfect display or 2 for this Kind Man. I have everything I want to gift him & their cases ; I just have to put them together in 'That perfect Way' I plan on gifting him before Thanksgiving if not DEF, by Christmas . I can ask him if he would mind if you searched for a 'special' fired Minnie or 2.
The terrain is kinda rough & it's trashy but I know there is something left.

Oh Yak if you read this I did mention this site to you a few time's over the Summer (it's the 'Point site).

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe no one has said "George Washington Inaugural buttons" yet!

Believe it or not a dude at my Club said he dug one in Cobb County 'Just North of Atlanta' (he had it tho I did not look at it , & I see not reason for him to lie), Until this I've never even dreamed of finding a GWI , unless I drove to Savannah GA (some 6+ hours & I don't know anybody there).
I guess it can happen .

Have you dug 1 yet , you look to be in the right state.?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
For me it's a any date Trime and a Mississippi belt buckle.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe no one has said "George Washington Inaugural buttons" yet!

Ahhh.

I see you have found a George Washington Inaugural Button.

Congratulations on a Historic Find.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was fortunate enough to be hunting around Atlanta before many of the sites were gobbled up by urban sprawl and expansion, so I got a few off my list before it got too difficult. That being said, I would still like to get a nice Southern State plate. As for coins, I have been pretty lucky to get most that I would like, two cent, reale, half-dimes, etc., but would still like to dig a large cent, capped bust, or any colonial coppers.

D.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was fortunate enough to be hunting around Atlanta before many of the sites were gobbled up by urban sprawl and expansion, so I got a few off my list before it got too difficult. That being said, I would still like to get a nice Southern State plate. As for coins, I have been pretty lucky to get most that I would like, two cent, reale, half-dimes, etc., but would still like to dig a large cent, capped bust, or any colonial coppers.

D.

I thank you for your reply , I see where a-lot of the coins went around here now. lol

I'm wondering did you ever get a Capped Bust Silver ? Or did you mean the Cent type?

A LC don't seem like to much to ask but here ???

A piece of a Reale would be nice for me to dig, I look forward to it . ---'Thinking Positive'
Happy Thanksgiving Davers /Davey

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread