Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As I have gotten older and my health has gotten worse from the wear and tear, I find myself becoming more picky about when I go detecting. Oh yeah, I still get out everyone once in a while in spite of the conditions but nothing like I used to. The cold makes me hurt these days and when I get bundled up to where I am warm, I ain't getting up, kind of like the little brother in that Christmas movie. I can handle the heat somewhat better but that is because I can go very early in the morning and I can and do hunt in the shade. Then I become a shade chaser.

I have gone from the "Get out of my way you are too slow" guy to the "in the way guy." The marathon daylight to dark hunts are now 2-4 hours tops but I still get out there. Some days are dig it all days but then others become more picky as it just hurts to get up and down. I use the Worth Factor at times because it just ain't worth it to me to make myself hurt worse or I'm not willing to endure right now. oh yeah, got the pills and creams and all of that but then you stop and ask yourself, am I really having fun right now? So now I try to focus on more quality time versus quantity time. But cabin fever sometimes over rules for a little while anyways. I look outside and I remind myself, I don't have to go out in that today, I don't work so I can pick and choose now. DL

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha-- i'm the same way with deer hunting and fishing to :occasion14:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ha-- i'm the same way with deer hunting and fishing to :occasion14:

yeah, its that way with hunting and fishing too. it was 21 this morning and I camped out by the heater LOL. I don't bass fish hard like I used to, I pretty much crappie fish now and love it

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dirtlooter , I know what you're talking about - when I first got going with MDing , I was good to go all day long , and just about anywhere ! Now I don't want to be in public places at all- I like the woods - and remote areas .

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dirtlooter, I love your life stories...Thank You for sharing! :occasion14:

May God Bless!

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
when i was offroad racing (40 yaers) never looked a the weather,i raced it the snow in a open wheel car and when it was 120 degrees,now i will not go drywashing or detecting if its to hot,cold,windy or if iam just a little tired,old age i guess,but still make it out once a week. brad

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, kind of have to face the facts. This summer I was complaining about the heat and could only hunt in the morning here in Atlanta. Longed for the Fall. But we basically had no Fall this year. It went from 95 degrees in October to 50 degrees and rain this week in November. But after three days of rain, I just had to go out in the light rain and hunt. Even though it was just the local tot lot, it felt good. But when it gets 33 degrees and rain or just 30 degrees will I leave the warm comfort of my home office and go hunt? Or will I just spend more time on forums and watching the latest metal detecting videos? Probably will opt to stay warm.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear you all. I dream of MDing and then after 2 or 3 hours in the field my hips and knees are screaming and I just hope I can make it back to the car. When I look back on all the time I spent as a youngster, sitting on a barstool or chasing you know what, I’d like to kick myself in the arse - but my knee is too sore.
HH
dts

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HA! lots of you out there that know exactly what it is like. Someone wanted to use my Samson to dig with but no, I went and got a hand digger out of the truck. They still wanted the Samson and I told them no way, it was my getting up crutch as well as my digger. I get chilled to the bone quickly these days but still try a few hours. I crank up the heater in the truck and roast in it for a while to get warm again. I'm not gonna bring up the bathroom issues but lets just say frequent pit stops are the norm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread