Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree12Likes
  • 8 Post By Muddyhandz
  • 1 Post By releventchair
  • 3 Post By Muddyhandz

Thread: Clad Monster!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Upper Fort Garry

Jul 2012
    In da bush
    Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
    1743 times
    Living for the hunt!

Clad Monster!

Being a relic hunter primarily, I still do quite a bit of coin hunting in the heat of the summer, when my relic sites are grown-in or full of crops.
    I don't usually photograph clad as it doesn't captivate my soul like history does. It's just new money.....nothing to look at!
    Was on such a tear this year, that I ended up paying my rent for several months with clad.

Usually, I clean the twoonies separate and spend them immediately on groceries, gas , etc. The rest (nickels up to loonies) goes into an ice cream pail.
    When the pail is half full, I add soapy water and take a scrub brush and swirl everything around and around, changing the water until it is no longer muddy.
    I lay it all out on a dish towel to dry, then take an exacto knife and pop the rust bubbles off the steel coins, roll it up and dump it at the bank.
    Forgot that I made some art on one of my cleanings from this summer......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1170511.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	1,005.7 KB 
ID:	1651598

Name:	P1170514.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	1651599

This was only less than half of August's totals. July was better as I topped my one day record after a festival.
    I have a few notes over the years where I recorded one day clad totals that would top my previous record.
    A few $80 to $90 days were tops in the early 2000's (hit that total at least a dozen times this year) but the big one was Oct.12 2004.
    In 7 hours, I found 17 twoonies, ($34) 77 loonies, ($77) 91 quarters, ($22.50) 62 dimes, ($6.20) and 24 nickels ($1.20) for a total of $140.90.
    This was in the sand at a discontinued rock festival site. All my records show me either cursing pennies or flat out refusing to acknowledge them.
    Clad totals would be way lower if I wasted my time digging pennies!

This year I broke my record twice! The first festival site I found $181.45 (91 loonies) in the wood chips during an 8 hour day.
    Broke that record in July after another festival, which was also an 8 hour day. (Can only swing that 5 pound beast for 8 hours max in my mid 40's!)
    Got 35 twoonies, 117 loonies, 56 quarters, 96 dimes, 19 nickels, and 20+ pennies (thanks to American tourists) for a total of $211.79 in the turf.
    The totals are getting higher because now I dig all the steel coin signals, which most detectors don't even pick up.

My "One hole" record was $15.75 (in two scoops) water detecting the shallows at the beach years ago.
    This summer, detecting a ditch at the edge of some ball diamonds at a school yard, I found this beneath the grass....

Name:	P1170505.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	966.4 KB 
ID:	1651600

Reverse.....

Name:	P1170506.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	850.5 KB 
ID:	1651601

Side shot. Notice the colour on the edges ....

Name:	P1170503.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	588.1 KB 
ID:	1651602

You'll see the other three sides here.....

Name:	P1170504.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	544.9 KB 
ID:	1651603

Did I beat my record? I'll let you figure it out. There's two types of denominations in this coin holder. I'll post the results in a day or two.
    You're also welcome to try and add up the "Clad Monster" if you're looking for something to do. There's every denomination except pennies in there.
    Sorry, no prizes. Just free entertainment for those who's season is over due to winter conditions like me. Ha ha.

Hardly any clad in the fall as I went back to relic hunting. Killed it in October with silver coins instead!
    Happy hunting (if you still can)
    Dave.

P.S. Yes, I washed my hands for the photos! My pointer finger on the left hand is one big callus from popping so many coins out with a screw driver!
    A metal detector can only do so much..........
    It's up to you to do the rest!

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    17916 times
    Wow!
    That is some clad alright....
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    5557 times
    Metal Detecting
    Impressive! A young man's game, all that kneeling and squatting. WTG.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
    2693 times
    The $2 and $1 coins that are used so frequently up there does make clad hunting very appealing. I have a 24k gold pendant that hit just like a penny. I would be fine passing it up for $150 in cash every time out but that's just not the case down here so I dig penny signals and am surprised with a much nicer find every once in a while.
    I find it hard to believe that ANY metal detector would not detect a steel coin. I know all of mine will including that radio shack kit I built in the 70's.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    24755 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Outstanding amount of money found...a second job!

ca
    Upper Fort Garry

Jul 2012
    In da bush
    Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
    1743 times
    Living for the hunt!
    Thanks for the replies. I posted my clad records but an average 8 hour clad hunt would end up being around $50.
    The sheer volume of coins is there but some days I end finding too many nickels and it takes 40 of them to equal a twoonie!

Some days I'm hungry for gold and then miss hitting a high clad total due to digging too many beaver tails, aluminum screw caps, and can slaw.
    Of course if I hit gold my days total is high but that doesn't happen as often as I would like it to!
    A few $90 days I had to drive an hour out of town, spending $10 to $15 in gas plus travel time.

I'm sure most detectors pick up steel coins but do they dig them?
    A steel coin can sound just like a steel washer and I spent most of my life ignoring washer signals.
    I've done really good with coin spills because a lot of the newer detectors (and big coils) read this as a big piece of iron.
    Take an old school VLF and it's easy to read each signal in the cluster, knowing it's a coin spill.

Speaking of which, here's the results of my coin holder.....

Name:	P1170507.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	845.5 KB 
ID:	1651857

Didn't beat my record of $15.75 but was still happy with finding 12 bucks in one shot.

I have a severe mental disorder from being too addicted to metal detecting.
    A lot of those clad days could have been spent working at a real job!
    chub, xr7ator and Limitool like this.
    A metal detector can only do so much..........
    It's up to you to do the rest!

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    1270 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddyhandz View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I posted my clad records but an average 8 hour clad hunt would end up being around $50.
    The sheer volume of coins is there but some days I end finding too many nickels and it takes 40 of them to equal a twoonie!

Some days I'm hungry for gold and then miss hitting a high clad total due to digging too many beaver tails, aluminum screw caps, and can slaw.
    Of course if I hit gold my days total is high but that doesn't happen as often as I would like it to!
    A few $90 days I had to drive an hour out of town, spending $10 to $15 in gas plus travel time.

I'm sure most detectors pick up steel coins but do they dig them?
    A steel coin can sound just like a steel washer and I spent most of my life ignoring washer signals.
    I've done really good with coin spills because a lot of the newer detectors (and big coils) read this as a big piece of iron.
    Take an old school VLF and it's easy to read each signal in the cluster, knowing it's a coin spill.

Speaking of which, here's the results of my coin holder.....

Name:	P1170507.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	845.5 KB 
ID:	1651857

A lot of those clad days could have been spent working at a real job!
    where's the fun in a *real job though?

chub

ca
    Apr 2009
    Fisher 1266x , Tesoro Vaquero
    236 times
    You've had some great hunts !

ca
    Semi-precious rock and gem collecter, classic book reader, horse lover, metal detecter gal.

Aug 2018
    Winnipeg MB.
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, Bounty Hunter Jr., Garrett Carrot
    809 times
    Metal Detecting
    Wow! Finally someone who hunts in canada. Can't believe it though... my first year was last year... I got 85 bucks in all. I'll have to find myself a festival and get my drivers license and then vwalla I'll be rich��
    Always check rabbit holes when metal detecting... you never know, there might be karats down there.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links