Hiding a mineshaft

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all, been researching a lost mine that has been found and worked in the 1800s. Story goes that the prospector would take what he could carry n come back once a year. When he got sick and died told his nephew about it and he could never locate. Obviously i think that he put some time into hiding the shaft. Does anyone know common practice of hiding a mineshaft. Any suggestions on identifying where a shaft could be?

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i have seen plywood put down,then dirt over it.also spend allot of time looking on google earth before you go
good luck ,be safe brad

Last edited:

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a general idea of the area, I would try to reason out likely sites first. One thing is to look for the geologically correct area for the deposits that were being mined. Then look for less conspicuous or easily hidden access points that would also allow the miner to work, live, and transport goods in and out. The miner would have needed a source of water, firewood, etc nearby as well. Lastly, once areas are narrowed down, then look for signs such as mining debris, trash, signs of fires in the long past, or other signs of the area being worked and lived in.

Good luck, and be careful!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for the tailings pile that would have years overgrowth on it. I've seen a few old working in the Rockies that were pretty concealed by the elements of time and you'd be real hard pressed to notice them on a satellite view. Seeing old rusty hardware items such as an abundance old rusted square nails, 4 sided nuts & bolts and old cans is a good sign something went on there in the past. Watch where your stepping when your out there looking.

OP
OP
S

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for your suggestions, its always good to hear others point of view. Looking at satellite imaging would use suspect the circle 2 have possible mineralized zone? Looking for quartz/ hematite. Capture+_2018-11-13-20-47-20.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread