Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had to explain the swing thing several times to my wife at first when she first started but she has a pretty level swing now. A lot of people don't realize how much stuff they miss or skip because of their swing and how fast they walk as they swing. I guess this is one of the things that actually helps when you hunt an already hunted spot unless they really gridded correctly like Cru does in England. This is why we sometimes are amazed to find something that we should have found previously but missed. Smokey speaks of walking between and behind two other detectors and finding stuff that they missed because of no over lap in swings between them. So many variables that are sometimes overlooked, especially by newbies or people in a hurry.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Video! :icon_thumleft:

IMHO: I think of coil swing technique as painting the ground with your coil. In painting there is a slight overlap (15% - 20%) with a uniform brush stroke and height (moving the grass). I'm a firm believer in brushing the grass with the coil, while maintaining it as close to parallel as I can throughout the entire swing movement. Walk speed is a very important factor...only walk as fast as your coil can actually cover the area wish to be searched. I have demonstrated this technique for my club members using smooth sand in a volleyball court. The visual is far better than the words...a fast walk speed can miss a very large area each swing. Maybe next spring I will determine the actual percent of missed area vs walk speed.

GL & HH

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya mean I can't do it like they show on "Who done it" TV shows?:BangHead:
Nice VID on 'splainin things.
Marvin

DetectorMoe

Apr 4, 2013
SouthEast North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox800, ATpro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I travel pretty fast looking for the site. Then it's a different story once I found the site. lol

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hear it all the time. “Low and slow.” Great video.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I travel pretty fast looking for the site. Then it's a different story once I found the site. lol

looking for a reason to slow down, a lot of people do that. my pretty fast these days is slowing down for most LOL. my slowing down even more is like many's gridding. it is what it is

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great video! Exactly what my wife needed to see! Thank you!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post I notice where I slowed down and did so much better!!!Thanks for the post!!!!!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ll admit I’m a walker that probably doesn’t swing twice over the same spot twice unless I hear something intriguing on the first pass. Might have too slow it down. Damn coffee I’m telling ya.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much. But climatologists and botanists Wladmir Koppen & Rudolf Geiger don't define the whole world as open grass areas or UK crop fields . With so many different types of sites to metal detect how can there be one proper swing technique. I understand about keeping the coil just off the ground. Around natural or man made objects there is no swing. Tp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions