Old detector

_Jim_

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2018
N.J. / Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has been hanging in my garage for many many years. It is a Jetco GTX metal-mineral detector. Does anyone know about what year this model was produced? I put a battery in and no joy, I'd like to clean it up and maybe get it working just for the fun of it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Think these where made in Huntsville Texas, they used to take adds out in Playboy magazine way back in the day for these, full page adds you could mail order with, remember seeing first adds with only 2 machines to pick from and later four machines to pick from.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, bet it would not cost more than 50 bucks.

Maybe even play a little, but nothing serious, it does not look like it would be fun to hold all day. Do 100 hours with that and your wrist and elbow going to be upset with you.

Deserves to be cleaned up proper, and hung up on the wall for all to see.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, bet it would not cost more than 50 bucks.

Maybe even play a little, but nothing serious, it does not look like it would be fun to hold all day. Do 100 hours with that and your wrist and elbow going to be upset with you.

Deserves to be cleaned up proper, and hung up on the wall for all to see.

I was thinking more like maybe the terminals corroded leaving battery in it or wire off. Like fix it your self-not paying someone.
Gots that fifties diner look so yeah hang it on the wall whether it works or not. Tell friends your grandpa found 250,000.00 haul with it lol.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a Jetco Huntmaster back in 1973/74. They had four models back then: Mustang, Searchmaster, Huntmaster, and Treasure Hawk. Paid $70 for mine, and I think there was about a $15 difference between each machine. The brand made it into the 1980's with a few newer models, then faded away along with a number of others. Never saw one with a metal box or in that style from Jetco. Gotta be an early one, pre-1970's. Very cool.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice old relic that I agree would look better on display than killing your wrist and elbow! Like many of the older analog units, it may have a bad Diode in the power circuit but could be something else altogether unrelated. Many if not all analog metal detectors if left on when the battery totally dies, the power circuit will receive a surge as the metal detector takes it's last dying gasp to stay powered on and this fries the Diode. This is where I would start first if checking for bad components. Good luck!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think these where made in Huntsville Texas, they used to take adds out in Playboy magazine way back in the day for these, full page adds you could mail order with, remember seeing first adds with only 2 machines to pick from and later four machines to pick from.

Impressed that you remembered seeing the ad there. Didn't know anyone ever looked at the ads!

OP
OP
_Jim_

_Jim_

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2018
N.J. / Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, I can't remember where I got this, yard sale or flea market years ago, I just thought it looked cool. Back in the early 70's I had a Jetco detector I bought brand new, I think I paid around 39 bucks for it. Man did I dig a lot of pull tabs and gum wrappers with it, but I did get quite a few silver coins too. Lots more silver coins in the ground back then. It had a plastic case not metal like this one and a smaller coil.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice old detector...….a nice piece of detector history there.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Playboy had ads?!? 😱

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Impressed that you remembered seeing the ad there. Didn't know anyone ever looked at the ads!

Ad's..........do you mean to tell me there were ad's in those magazines? Lol

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, that's the earliest Jetco I've ever seen. The first detector I ever bought was a Jetco, but a much later model.

The JET in Jetco stands for John E. Turner. He created Jetco in the 60's with a BFO circuit taken from a magazine article. Eventually, Turner bought Bounty Hunter and Teknetics out of bankruptcy and sold them to First Texas Products. I now work for that company. Turner is still living but in poor health, I've been trying to get an interview with him for several months for a book I'm writing.

I also collect vintage detectors, so if you decide you want to sell that one let me know. It will go on the wall in the Engineering offices at FTP.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to HIJACK this thread BUT OddJob HOW did you know they took out ADDS in PLAYBOY ? Just wondering :)

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Not trying to HIJACK this thread BUT OddJob HOW did you know they took out ADDS in PLAYBOY ? Just wondering :)

Saw the add;

In 83 I inherited two full sets of playboy, one read and the other stored. At that age I had no use for paper chicks, never had a use for it, I have always been hands on like the real think. But the adds they used to take in those, beit Cessna, J Walker, Chewing Gum, Beer; they all blended in fairly well into the magazine. But Razor companies or this company always had these adds that appeared they let a full on tardid kid illustrate.

Just never fit in, and seriously chewing gum does not fit in either but their adds sure where not sticking out this bad.

But yeah, I looked at the adds, the cardboard posters and even the added news papers adds that could be removed in 66.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck on the repair! Fixing old electronic devices can be a fun past time! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
_Jim_

_Jim_

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2018
N.J. / Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, that's the earliest Jetco I've ever seen. The first detector I ever bought was a Jetco, but a much later model.

The JET in Jetco stands for John E. Turner. He created Jetco in the 60's with a BFO circuit taken from a magazine article. Eventually, Turner bought Bounty Hunter and Teknetics out of bankruptcy and sold them to First Texas Products. I now work for that company. Turner is still living but in poor health, I've been trying to get an interview with him for several months for a book I'm writing.

I also collect vintage detectors, so if you decide you want to sell that one let me know. It will go on the wall in the Engineering offices at FTP.

Thanks Carl, I knew it was an old timer, do you have a rough idea of when it was made?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread