Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Will Whites go the way of Tesoro?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
    3415 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    This is the digital age. Personally I think metal detector technology has a bit of catching up to do.
    I'm not exactly young but I see anything that's analog and still uses a needle as antiquated.

I think it's just a matter of time till we can buy a handle and coil, then go home, download an app, pair it with the bluetooth on our phone. Then we can just clip the phone onto the handle and go. Then when you get a phonecall it rings in your headphones.

As for brands like Whites and Bounty Hunter, to me they are the guys who make stuff today that the innovators created a decade ago. They will always be an entry level brand.
    Terry Soloman likes this.
    “During the gold rush its a good time to be in the pick and shovel business.” Mark Twain

Apr 2017
    Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2 Nokta pinpointer
    1025 times
    The black metal box that Whites are famous for never really worked for me.It kept bumping into my hip as I walked. Its about as antiquated as Tesoros gold anodised face plate. Why did nobody ever make a cheap PI?? A surfmaster without the heavy expensive waterproof box?

Chub
    Terry Soloman likes this.

Jan 2006
    196 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Icewing View Post
    This is the digital age. Personally I think metal detector technology has a bit of catching up to do.
    I'm not exactly young but I see anything that's analog and still uses a needle as antiquated.

I think it's just a matter of time till we can buy a handle and coil, then go home, download an app, pair it with the bluetooth on our phone. Then we can just clip the phone onto the handle and go. Then when you get a phonecall it rings in your headphones.

As for brands like Whites and Bounty Hunter, to me they are the guys who make stuff today that the innovators created a decade ago. They will always be an entry level brand.

Part of this statement is off base a little about White's to me, the last part of your statement primarily being an entry level brand. (Quote) you said-As for brands like Whites and Bounty Hunter, to me they are the guys who make stuff today that the innovators created a decade ago. They will always be an entry level brand.(End Quote)

Yes, it is the Digital age your correct. Everyone jumps on the band wagon if it looks or has a screen like a modern cell phone, touch pads and all. Whites was darn innovative and a leader for many years giving us much of the technology in detecting we have today. Oh and by the way not much has really changed over all in VLF technology since the early to mid 2000 2007 era.

All these manufacturers right now are just repackaging the same technology that was improved in these years with the added benefit of making some things a little lighter and smaller. Over all VLF technology is tapped out unless there is some type of big breakthrough. Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites have always marketed entry level detectectors as well as high end ones. With that said the part of your statement that i agree with is yes Bounty Hunter has always been marketed pretty much as an entry level detector and still is by First Texas today. Garrett has the market cornered in the entry level with the Ace line of detectors.

There has been some gains in the speed and recovery of later model detectors and the weight and size of detectors oh and more modern looks. But most detectors on the market today still don't out hunt over all say a White's MXT or even some of the older Tesoro or even Fisher designs.

Oh and then there is the newest latest and greatest Minelab Nox thing right now and it reminds me of every time a new detector that has a little something has come to the market no matter the brand.The Nox does look to be quite nice and light with a few innovative features. For me though I have never been a Minelab fan but that could change someday. I personally prefer to support USA built if possible and this could change if the US companies get bought out or go by the way side.

The Nox seems to get decent depth and are light and look like a cell phone mounted to a shaft with a nice touch screen. The Nox is very appealing to the tech types but over all do they hunt really that much deeper or better? for me the verdict is still out. We will see when all the Minelab hype dies down just like is has on every other Minelab that has came previous. All the depth claims with the Nox, well the Nox should get good depth, look at the size of the coils that come on them. Then there's Minelabs patented multi frequency which I am sure helps in salt water situations with VLF technology a plus for many years now with Minelab, nothing really new here.I personally still thing a good PI will get better depth still in head to head testing on salt water sand.

I still don't think right now all the newest latest and greatest to date will out hunt in exsperianced hands some of the older proven detectors we all know and have loved from White's, Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro and so on.

New designs like the Nox detector have cool touch screens, blue tooth built in (pretty cool until there's an issue) and are a little lighter maybe a hair faster processing (been issues with updates not perfect yet) Again time will tell. These things are pretty much over all the biggest changes and good changes at that but not the Holly Grail yet in VLF technology. At least not yet.

I think Whites flag ship multi frequency V3i units do perform somewhat key word here somewhat like the Nox detectors. The issue being there just a hair outdated on looks, weight and being water proof and seem to be more complicated to set up. (Again White's was a leader a few years back here on design). Maybe White's will will step up in technology and do something about that or maybe not. Time will tell.

I am sure all the other manufacturers will follow the same trend or maybe not time will tell here as well.

All The Best,
    Bill G
    Last edited by Bill G; Dec 01, 2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    Every find is a good find, some are just Great........

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    18262 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    An awful lot of good stuff being posted here. I favored Garrett for many, many years. I stepped up to the Minelab Etrac after constantly witnessing it find 5 Silvers to every one Silver that my AT PRO was finding. Results are what I was looking for. However, Garrett has and still maintains a proven record of after sales support. The Etrac does not have the water tight integrity that I came to enjoy with the AT PRO. (Freshwater only,)
    Living close to the ocean and being a surf and turf kind of hunter,, I elected to go with the wet suit and an Excalibur. There were my fears of having to someday face the poor "after sales support reputation" that Minelab had. Not if my machine stopped functioning, but When. Some people say that when Minelab got a lock on the government military contract, they kind of left the hobbyist hanging. Somehow, Minelab's reputation as being weak in the area of customer support and repairs has finally been addressed. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope that they stay attentive to the needs of the Minelab owner. I sent in one of my Excaliburs for repairs and was pleasantly surprised. Professional service and courteous communication was what I received.
    Another need for metal detectors is evident in the security fields. I believe Garrett has the largest share of that. Just look at all airports, courts, government buildings, and nightclubs. I always see a Garret wand, at the least.
    My needs and the areas I searched are what dictated which machines I would purchase and use.
    I see these 2 companies as remaining solvent for a long time to come.
    I'm blessed to be able to purchase the machines that I feel will help me find those evasive gold and silver treasures. Whether it's a single seated dime or a gold ring. Again,, for me, the tool has to be right for the job.
    My CTX 3030 is the weapon of choice in some of the bottle cap infested parks of NYC, while my XP DEUS is better suited for the open farm fields of Pennsylvania.
    This talk of Whites, going under, well I don't know if it will or not. I do know a Whites Dealer who has been selling White's products for around 20 years. He is not happy with the direction in which the company is going.
    I did work on helping a newbie set up his Equinox 600.
    He has done quite well with it. I know that I really don't need another metal detector, but if I was to purchase another one,, I would be leaning towards the Equinox 800.
    If I run into you guys out there swinging a coil, which machine you are using, isn't all that important to me.
    What is important is that we are enjoying the hobby.
    Last edited by against the wind; Dec 01, 2018 at 08:02 PM.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II, Quattro & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    16364 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Nice well thought out post!
    Terry Soloman and Possum like this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    20166 times
    Metal Detecting
    This has become a great thread! Thank you ALL for contributing!
    Bill G and Possum like this.

us
    Nov 2015
    Western USA
    Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Sea Hunter MKII, Infinium LS, Scorpion GS, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD20
    405 times
    Sadly I saw the handwriting on wall for Tesoro, as no matter how good their machines are, most buyers are looking for more bells and whistles, mainly in the form of digital displays. It's especially sad for me, as they are an Arizona company.

As for Minelab, Garrett, Fisher, and Whites, I would say that Minelab will continue to grab a lot of the market, as they are trying to get new users into the hobby with their Go Find machines and then transition them into their higher end models, and of course they have the lions share of the PI gold machines.

Garrett may be where Minelab figured out to get some entry level machines to hook new users, as the Ace series for Garrett has been and continues to be a staple. Garrett took MD'ing to a new level with mid-priced machines that are waterproof and are great performers. Everyone else had to play catch up. Their security detectors from handheld to walk-through will keep them going no matter what happens. And let's face it, that's probably where the idea for the pin-pointer that we can't live without came from; security wands.

Fisher, they produce great machines and since they are owned by First Texas Products, you can add in Teknetics, and Bounty Hunter. I think they should consider labeling Bounty Hunters as Fishers to keep brand loyalty to new users who start out with those.

White's is the wild card, as their products do seem to have slowed down, but maybe they are just working behind the scenes on new machines. I hope they don't go the way of Tesoro, as we don't need to see another US owned company go under, especially during a "good economy." And hopefully someone will buy out and bring back Tesoro.
    Money may not grow on trees, but it's often found under them!

us
    Oct 2015
    Kannapolis nc
    Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero
    179 times
    Metal Detecting
    If it looks like one starts to go under, i hope they sell to another American company to strengthen it and retain old customers. Even if all we have left is fisher, it would be stronger using all the tech and service base of the others.
    Bill G likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links