Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, I'm not assuming anything either. I have seen some hunting kitty cats' leavings in barns. Sparrows, cardinals,finches, robins, and some I couldn't identify. I seen a friend's neighbor's house cat nab a gossling Canada goose off the edge of his pond. Took off with it. It's not conjecture. They don't just eat rodents. House cats that hunt and feral house cats will kill wild birds.

I should have been more clear. I agree that cats - both pet cats that go outdoors and feral cats will kill birds. My point was that it is a mistake to assume that all birds killed by cats are native. Some are clearly invasive exotics. Its an opportunity for research that needs to be done. As a biologist, I won't make a conclusion without the facts. There are better reasons to humanely address feral cats than the fact that they kill birds - without knowing the facts about all species killed and the value of removing specific invasive exotics.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,Farmers and animal control programs in national parks use a specifically designed 10/80 bate for feral cats .Took years to develop but most other animals will not eat it. The toxin is a low dosage of Sodium Fluordcetate If you remove the free food factor and feed your pets inside the house this lesson the attraction of unwanted guests.When i was young feral cats every now and again would get caught in our rabbit traps , seen a know it all try to free the cat from the trap .He got torn to pieces . Best just shoot them if caught in any trap. If do not want a house full of cats get the female desexed. TP

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I also want to say this much, feral cats are pretty much a given in most areas and I do not normally have problems with most of them but occasionally you get one like this one that is determined to be dominate over everything around. I figure that not only do they thin out a few birds but we also have a lot of pack rats to cope with, more than in years past because possibly in the extreme drop in the big rattlesnakes that were once very common here. Cats are not selective on their quarry and take snakes, lizards, squirrels, rabbits as well as a bird or two. But when a cat takes up residence at my house or place and is very friendly to boot, I tend to protect it even more so. Even so, if a big dog comes on my property and is aggressive towards any of my family, especially the grand kids, well, aggressive action may result. Cats do what is natural for them to do and I see most of them as great addition to a home place.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if you can keep your cat indoor for about a week, then maybe dust area with cayenne pepper. Only takes a couple kilograms and is gone in the next rain or snow.

Helped me out in Germany and Italy, but if you have critters out and about stocking fat for winter it could screw up their cycle as well.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looter, I fully understand. Two of our three cats were feral, and
now they are both awesome cats. I've also socialized several
others, had them "fixed", and then found good homes for them.

Last one to show up here was a great big tomcat, and my
lil' buddy Scruff did not appreciate it being on his turf. Scruff
is 20 lbs.+, and I swear this cat had 5 lbs. on him. Being
neutered don't mean jack to Scruff; he is most definitely the
dominant male for several acres any direction.

As fate would have it, the two tangled one night and Scruff
came home looking like he'd been to hell and back. I'm sure
he gave as good as he got, but the damn vet bill was
over $400.00

The feral tom showed back up again about a week later, and
he had a rather large abscess on one shoulder, and was now
missing part of his right ear. He wouldn't let me near him,
and Scruff still had stitches in. I wasn't about to let those two
tangle again, 'cause if they did one of 'em was gonna end up
dead.

Hated to put him down, but he wasn't going to let me anywhere
near him and those wounds would have eventually killed him
after much suffering, and I was completely out of options.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you catch it I will pay for you to ship it to bigwavedave

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have Gun...Will Travel. 😂

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have been more clear. I agree that cats - both pet cats that go outdoors and feral cats will kill birds. My point was that it is a mistake to assume that all birds killed by cats are native. Some are clearly invasive exotics. Its an opportunity for research that needs to be done. As a biologist, I won't make a conclusion without the facts. There are better reasons to humanely address feral cats than the fact that they kill birds - without knowing the facts about all species killed and the value of removing specific invasive exotics.

You mean removing invasive exotic species like feral house cats?

You are not trying to get me trapped in some form of circular logic, are you?

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So we can talk about drowning cats but no cussing? Hahahaha that’s logical. And before anybody tries to explain to me how “it doesn’t violate any rules”, you can spare me. I’m not paying any attention to whoever you migh be. I’m also not paying attention to anyone that thinks drowning an animal is more humane than ending instantly with a bullet.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Maybe another introduced species like an Australian Salt Water Crocodile . TP

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So we can talk about drowning cats but no cussing? Hahahaha that’s logical. And before anybody tries to explain to me how “it doesn’t violate any rules”, you can spare me. I’m not paying any attention to whoever you migh be. I’m also not paying attention to anyone that thinks drowning an animal is more humane than ending instantly with a bullet.

Yeah, some ways of leaving this world are worse than others, but aside from something slow and painful, drowning has got to be a pretty horrible way to go. I vote for something quicker.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best solution I have seen is to trap the target cat and get him in a burlap bag. Twist the bag up so the animal is in a bundle and feel around until you locate his balls. Split the bag a bit and drag the sack out and split it and snip off the two residents of that bag. Splash a bit of disinfectant on the area and release him in the area of your choice. He will no longer be a problem. Some of the best old friendly cats in our area were done.

I had to laugh imagining the part where he gets the cat out of the trap into a burlap sack.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, some ways of leaving this world are worse than others, but aside from something slow and painful, drowning has got to be a pretty horrible way to go. I vote for something quicker.

Well let's see here...

"Something quicker than asphyxiation..."

Like getting shot and bleeding to death? Hmm, not really sure that is quicker. It certainly is messier.

What do you suggest? What's the "most humane" way to dispatch a varmit?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How to cook a cat with your coffee maker
After I posted this on the Swedish version of Coffee Machine Cuisine people got very upset. Some of the things they called me was idiot, cannibal (?) and they even said that I’m the reason for the low status that cats got in this society. I don’t get why people are so upset?! It’s no worse than eating a cow, pig or a chicken if you ask me. And hunting must be the most humane way to kill animals for food.

It all took place on a warm and sunny day when me and Dan were out at our cabin with all of our cats. Since we got so many cats I figured that I could shoot one of them so I released them into the woods and began the hunt. First I thought that the fat one, Gucci, would be an easy shot but she managed to escape surprisingly quickly. It was the sun that eventually was Iggy’s downfall. She is quite photophobic you see so she could hardly see where she was going. And BAM, easy shot for me.cooking with your coffee maker

R.I.P. my little sweetheart.
Time

5 hours
Ingredients

1 cat
½ red onion
1 pimiento
1 clove of garlic
2 ½ dl coconut milk
2 ½ dl cream
2 tbsp meat extract
Juice of lime
Ginger
Butter
Instructions

Skin, fillet and chop the kitty cat. Start your coffee maker, grease the heater and place the pieces of your cat onto it. Fry it until they are cooked throughly and tender, it will take about an hour (it depends on what cut of meat you’re using and how fresh it is). Remove the meat and wipe the heater.

Chop all of the remaining ingredients that shall be chopped. Put a dollop of butter into the carafe, let it melt and then put the onion and the garlic in the carafe and fry it for about half an hour. Season with ginger. Add coconut milk, cream and meat extract and let it cook for two hours – it should get really warm. After that add the cat meat and wait a bit longer. Finally add pimiento pieces, lime juice and season generously with freshly ground black pepper and just a little salt. Turn off your coffee maker.

The best way to serve this delicious cat stew is accompanied by a glass of a tasty red wine and freshly baked bread.

P.S. This is obviously a JOKE DO not start

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, where is Alf? I am sure that he could alleviate your cat problem. :laughing7: ! :occasion14:!

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well let's see here...

"Something quicker than asphyxiation..."

Like getting shot and bleeding to death? Hmm, not really sure that is quicker. It certainly is messier.

What do you suggest? What's the "most humane" way to dispatch a varmit?

If you're going to drown it, you're going to have to trap it first. If you are not going to take it somewhere and release it, then a shot to the head would be the quickest, most humane way to do it IMO.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to laugh imagining the part where he gets the cat out of the trap into a burlap sack.

They used wire traps and would open the end and slip the bag over the end and rattle the cage and the cat would run into the bag. Then all that was left to do was the small extraction procedure.:cat:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is HILARIOUS

Chub

chub

Bronze Member