How about a free web site listing metal detecting sites in different cities in the US

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you think US detectorists would contribute to a free web site that listed local areas to metal detect?

I am thinking this might be a good resource for people on vacation and those who travel often and like to metal detect in their down time.
I know we are all kind of secretive with our good sites.

But I have easily a couple of dozen sites that I have hunted but no longer interested in due to a change of interests. For instance, in metro Atlanta I know where there are two old gold mines on county park properties that few people know about. Nice tailings pile at one site the other is a nice creek about 10 feet from the mine entrance.

Also know more than a few productive parks, and areas that you still can hunt for civil war relics. Plus numerous old buildings that are just rotting away owned by the city or county.
Each hunt site entry would include the name (if available) of the property, lat/long position, description of site and what has been found. Nearest town and zip code.

Membership would be free and members encouraged to post some local hunt sites data. Would not include sites that required permissions for private property. No would we allow listing of parks of any kind where metal detecting is prohibited.

Ok, I seriously want to hear your comments on this idea. If you think it won’t work, then tell me. If you think it is a good resource and just might work, then tell me why.

Don’t want to waste my time on a project that no one is interested in or would not have good contributors. My background is developing web sites, so I can do this in a very short period of time.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
That is basically what you can do here; as many members in the past on here have done by posting where they are headed to. I my self have met up with several in Europe from here looking to hunt, even provided a machine two times. I have met up with other members in North Africa from here and one in Malta. Then once back state side met up with a few.

Tnet is a great networking platform, just have to reach out.

Now build just some online listing, then those will be the spots that get cleaned out fast. I sure would not list any of my spots on the net, I personally know about 42 others on here that would not mention where they hunt either just open for anyone to google.

I am happy when others find nuggets, but man I am more happy when I find them.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good idea in theory but I would have a problem recommending a site to someone I did not know. It only takes one joker who is a slob Hunter on a site too make us all look bad and end up having the site shut down for other diggers.
Unfortunately there are many hunters like that in our hobby.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This idea is floated every year or so. One of my buddies did a soft cover on American beaches, and the laws and permits needed a few years ago. He sold 13-copies. As much as some guys love crowds and partners, most serious detectorist's I know, including myself, are loath to give away a researched or giving site. Treasure hunting - for the most part, is not a team sport. :skullflag:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could not list it here nor discuss it here. It would violate our rules.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You could not list it here nor discuss it here. It would violate our rules.

well it seems like most people think it would be a waste of time. Just close this thread or delete it.
thanks

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are You Blind ? :tongue3:

it Already Exists.

It is Called :coffee2:

Just Choose

Select Your Area....

You can even Add to it Anytime You Wish.

If you wish to start a Listing of Metal Detecting Sites in any Particular City, Township, County, Parish or
Whatever. Feel Free.

If it Gets Popular, Perhaps we Can Tack it to the Top,
or create a
Directory for your part of the State :dontknow:

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why would anyone contribute to a "free" website on metal detecting, even if it was regional?

Oh wait, I do that here.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pulltabfelix, I understand your thoughts on this, but it really would not work on a National level I believe, just way to many problems etc. Having said that, your information might be of interest say with a local metal detecting club. They are always looking for places either for themselves or club hunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread