When the Ground freezes hard, do you still hunt?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: When the Ground freezes hard, do you still hunt?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    12568 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)

When the Ground freezes hard, do you still hunt?

Fortunately where I live, the ground doesn't freeze hard on a regular basis but it does. It is the same way with the snow, we may not get any or we might get a lot. But when the ground is too hard for me to dig easily and I still want to detect, I go. I usually don't even try to dig but I will mark some of the better hits with various markers for when it does warm up. Sometimes I come back with a different detector and see how good of a hit it is with it. I can't imagine nor do I want to, how some of you have to hack and chisel your way to a target. I have a hard enough time with the rock hard clay rock mixture we have around here in the summer time. If you can afford it, a hunting trip down south can help I'm sure.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

us
    Oct 2018
    Michigan
    Tesoro Tejon and Mojave
    158 times
    Metal Detecting
    A small cordless circular saw for cutting plugs. The dirt would be soft underneath the frozen layer.
    xcopperstax and dirtlooter like this.

May 2018
    77 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I'm in Wisconsin, and yes I hunt pretty much year round. When fields and such freeze too hard to dig, I'll move to wooded areas that are more protected and freeze later. The advantage is lack of mosquitos and ticks this time of year.
    But, in the deepest and coldest part of winter I go water hunting. Inland lakes freeze up first, then rivers and streams much later if at all. Lake Michigan doesn't freeze at all except in certain inlets and protected harbors, but sometimes late winter we get ice dams that make access impossible.
    People think I'm crazy because I'm out hunting even when its -30. But heck, I'm in insulated gear and the water is still above freezing so much warmer than the air!
    dirtlooter and doc-d like this.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    923 times
    I have to admit that I don't even detect if the ground is dry-hard.

Since there's so much trash, it just doesn't pay to dig on hard ground. Like it ever pays, but pays in excitement anyways.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

May 2018
    77 times
    Forgot to add this photoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20180109_104223.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	1654331

Aug 2012
    RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
    8960 times
    Depends on how frozen it is, and or the location as well as what I am hunting and what the signal is.

I have never marked it before, few times wish I had of course and came back but never found the target again. Darn wife likely went back for it.

But the way you talk about marking it, maybe coming back with another detector to see how good it is. Man that is like shaking Christmas presents before the big day. Glad to see your young at heart, that is so cool.
    buck8point, dirtlooter and gunsil like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.B. View Post
    I'm not an Idiot Whisperer. I can't help you any further with the math.

us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    3020 times
    Where I am you can go to the salt water beaches, they almost never freeze but being at the beach when it's that cold and windy is an experience in itself. The woods will rarely freeze as long as there are leaves / pine needles to insulate the ground. I prefer the woods I've never had much luck at the beach. Just found out yesterday that the deer ticks who can carry lyme disease are still out and about even after frost. It's important to know that... I thought I knew.
    Megalodon and dirtlooter like this.

May 2018
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopperstax View Post
    Where I am you can go to the salt water beaches, they almost never freeze but being at the beach when it's that cold and windy is an experience in itself. The woods will rarely freeze as long as there are leaves / pine needles to insulate the ground. I prefer the woods I've never had much luck at the beach. Just found out yesterday that the deer ticks who can carry lyme disease are still out and about even after frost. It's important to know that... I thought I knew.
    I've never had an issue with post frost ticks if it froze well enough. But then it could have something to do with the extra clothing layers too. Dont know...
    dirtlooter likes this.

us
    Jan 2017
    Western ny
    equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
    5003 times
    Not near me. Ground freezes deep and it's already a soil with lots of clay. I tried a few times and once you chiseled just a few 8 inch deep holes, it's time to go home cause it's dark already
    dirtlooter and doc-d like this.

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    2525 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger_O'Dell View Post
    Forgot to add this photoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20180109_104223.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	1654331
    Now that is hard core.

I finally asked my doc about my unusually cold hands and he asked me how many times I had frozen them in the past. I told him hundreds of times ice-fishing. Apparently, just freezing your hands once, let alone hundreds of times, is sufficient to damage blood vessels and cause cold hands even indoors, decades later. Careful out there!
    dirtlooter and Ogre1190 like this.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    2911 times
    Nah, my older bones don't like the cold much. Ground freezes, I'm done 'til the spring. Hunted much colder weather in my 20s and 30s but that was a long time ago. Kneeling to dig on frozen ground kills my knees and I never did cotton to wearing knee pads.
    basssmann, dirtlooter and Oddjob like this.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    517 times
    I hunt south east facing hillsides , warmed by the sun . same hillsides used by the civil war soldier in winter camp.
    dirtlooter and Megalodon like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    28014 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    If the digger will penetrate the ground in the woods (usually doesn't freeze) or an area with all day sun.
    basssmann likes this.

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 1862 Wheaties
    1681 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    I've been out when it is a chore to dig into wood chips at the tot lot.

us
    Dec 2007
    CT
    Whites MXT, DetectorPro HH Underwater
    1113 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    When it gets cold, I just change what I'm hunting. From Sept to Jan, I hunt deer instead. I get back to detecting in March, sometimes Feb.
    Megalodon likes this.
    Oldest Coin Finds to Date
    1737-1760 KGII Hibernia Half Cent ('10)
    1787 Fugio Large Cent ('15)
    1869 Two Cent ('09)
    1867-1883 Variety I Sheild Nickel ('09)
    1900 Barber Dime ('13)
    1929 Standing Liberty Quarter ('17)
    1944 Walking Liberty Half Dollar ('09)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links