Help w/Pinpointing

EggHunters

Sep 21, 2007
San Antonio, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
My wife and I are new to this & have a couple of questions. 1) When scanning, where does the coil pick up the signal. We have a cover for ours and didn't know where the object was being picked up at on the coil. 2) When pinpointing should you hold the button down to find the greatest signal strength or just push it to shrink the target area. 3) When the coil id's a target and it gives the depth, is that from the ground down or from the bottom of the coil down.(i.e. if you have the coil 2" from the ground and the coil registers 6", should i be digging 4" or 6"....or am i thinking waaaay to much.... ???

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
It is a bit tricky but if you practice these techniques you'll get good at it. Also some have taped coins to a piece of cardboard and then flipped it over and practiced finding the coins. Stick a screw driver through the card board where you think the coin is then flip over the cardboard to see how close you are.
Here is one of the excellent posts Ricardo made on Pinpointing with the Ace 250
Keep at it

Doozis
/quote by Ricardo

Hey Nat, there are other posts I've written about PP'ing with the 250 in the Garrett section........for here, tell your uncle to keep his eyes off the display. The worse thing you can do is train yourself to look at those bars. The first step in PP'ing with the 250 is understanding where the target is sounding off when it passes under the coil. You can't PP'ing something if you have not narrowed down its location with a machine that will PP in all metal mode. Unless you can get the best idea of where the object you want to PP is, you may as well end up PP'ing targets nearby. When you PP, the machine will PP anything, as it is in all metal mode. Back to the coil......when you swing over a target, on a left to right sweep, it will sound off when it passes the left outer coil and vice versa. Based on this fact, you should be able to narrow the location down by tightening the left and right swings and observing the outer coils when the machine sounds off. Once you do have that initial PP'ing skill in order, then you can start using the actual PP'er. Pick a spot in the middle, right around that little U will do and make that the center. Instead of going for precision, sweep carelessly to get an idea. Disregard the garrett site's advice about moving the coil forward and backward. Instead turn your body 90' and repeat the same. You want the smaller sideways length of the coil to do the PP'ing. Precision will come with practice. Precision can also come by re'pressing the PP button. I never used this at first, but have and it does work well. After the initial PP, let the button go and press it again. This "Detuning?" makes the objects signature smaller. Also, try not to PP with alot of sensitivity, especially with shallow objects. If you know or think that it's around an inch or two, go lower on the sens. This will make the objects field and signature while PP'ing even smaller.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I'll add a little to what doozis provided with a couple more quotes from some previous posts and a link that shows a diagram as to how and when a coin rings as it passes under the coil. It's very important to understand where and when the coin sounds as the coil passes over it because this is the only way that you can narrow down the location of the coin/object, and that is very important. With a 150, it is mandatory and the only way to PP. Being able to narrow down the location of the object without the use of the PP'er is the first step in learning to PP accurately. Avoid looking at the bars, avoid the move the coil forward & back technique they show on the DVD.......you don't want to use that length of the coil to PP. Avoid shortcut standards that say the coin will be on this part of the coil. Simply think about the center of the coil where that little U is as your mental eye will do the rest as you gain experience.

Number #2 is to understand how targets sound off under the coil, because it doesn't happen in the center of the coil.........read this.....it might save you from digging a manhole and will be crucial to learning how to do some primary X'ing of the target before you start using the PP'er.... http://www.garrett.com/hobby/techsupport/pinpointing.htm# Select the Manually Locating a Target (ACE 150) for a visual demo of how targets sound off under the coil.

This was in response to a hand held PP'er

Is a PP'er necessary? In my opinion, no. Give yourself a little time to learn the 250 and you will be fine. It's all in trial and error, and each and every time you go out there, you will bring back with you something new learned, to the point where you will feel like an expert at some point or another, but no matter how many times you go out there, you will learn something new. My advice in learning to PP with the 250 is simple, first, forget about the PP'er altogether. Try to get as precise an idea of where the object/coin is just by sweeping the coil over. Keep in mind that the machine rings off not in the center, but the outer coils. This would apply even more for a 150 without the PP. Believe it or not, if you get good at this method, you can PP with relative accuracy on that alone. Once that is put into practice, start getting good on the PP'er. My absolute advise for PP'ing with the 250 is do not even try looking at the screens bars. You will loose yourself. Do not even try to concentrate on a certain spot on the coil. Simply focus on the center of the coil and where it sounds the loudest as you pass it over the target. Although standard to change the X angle by sweeping forward and backward, I strongly advise against it and instead recommend you turn your body 90 degrees at give it another sweep. Listen, the advise me or anyone here can give you does not make up for actual hands on practice, so get out there and put some hours into learning your machine. It's no science and you will pick up its behavior.

Best,
Ricardo

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
Ricardo , Danimal and Khouse are the Ace 250 guru's :)
They know more about the 250 than ole Charlie Garrett himself ;)
thanks Ric :)

Doozis

OP
OP
E

EggHunters

Sep 21, 2007
San Antonio, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I just want to thank you guys for the PPng advise. I know its just a matter of time before you get really good at something. I wish sometimes that i had a job where i could be home at an early hour and be able to maybe get in some hunting in the evening with the wife. But right know its only maybe 2 days a week if possible. I wonder if the parks/schools would be upset if i brought a backhoe with me to dig with?....... ;D

Texas Coin Hunter

Aug 24, 2007
Kenedy, Tx.
Detector(s) used
BH land star & Pioneer EX made by BH & Whites Bullseye ll Pin Pointer
Hi Egghunter heres what ive found on the web

TX is the Transmitter & RX is the Reciver
Dave

Attachments

• ba_2.jpg
    ba_2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 158