Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup looks like two pennies were glued together and one was removed. Its a shame because now its lost half its value lol. One could spend some cash to get it examined or just have our collective experience of examining millions of coins help them. I think you should send it in to be graded. Joking.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin in post number #8 has glue or something on it. It's a penny with glue on it? Or am I missing what your trying to show?

No, you're not missing anything. But you may be accused of harassment now.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more to me like it went through a penny press machine that wasn’t quite working to there is only a partial imprint. Maybe there was goo that stuck on the penny.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you look closely you can clearly see its a clear glue on the surface of the coin......Worth exactly one penny.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ok fellow memberins, I need some help, maybe some direction on who to send my coins to,, im ready and waiting,, thank you

does not want to send off to a legit grading company? Brand new member! sounds like he is trying to scam someone. This is not the best forum to try to do that. I have seen more than a few scams on this and other metal detecting forums. The common denominator is almost always a brand new member who just signed up.

Rarely will you see any member who has been on here for a year or more and is active in posting and replying trying to scam any other members. First we would not try to scam people and we also know there are some very experienced member who can spot a scam a mile away.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, The one you think is glue is actually the Lincoln Memorial from the other side of the coin being double stamped over Lincoln's head. Both coins are mint errors in my opinion.

My bad! I missed that. :icon_scratch:

Too much!!:laughing7:

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, The one you think is glue is actually the Lincoln Memorial from the other side of the coin being double stamped over Lincoln's head. Both coins are mint errors in my opinion.
If you look, the lettering from the second impression is reversed, this means it was not struck from the die. If it was struck from the die it would be normal. The impression from another coin makes a reverse impression as in this case. The second coin made an impression in the glue.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i will post it in this thread, i have already tried a post,, they think im crazy or its a fake,, this is not something u can tell over a clear picture as i am having to use reverse imaging to pull out whats behind the scenes, if someone has a interest in helping me u can personally message me, thisguygoesgreen@gmail,, i can explain my side and show several pics i have gotten enough bs from here... instead of being encouraged i was just harassed. View attachment 1655176 but here it is

On one of your earlier threads(about this coin), I told you that I came to one of the coin websites with a similar coin when I first became interested in coins. But I didn't have near as good of a picture. The picture you have (above) is better than what I could see with my coin in-hand. Look at Lincoln's shoulder. You can very clearly see that there is some kind of substance ABOVE one of the high points of the coin (his shoulder). If you simply ran your fingernail across it, it would probably start to peel off.

I believe you're being honest and not trying to rip anyone off. Otherwise, you wouldn't have posted the picture above. I hope you're not just trolling. Try one of the many tests that have been suggested to you. Soak the coin. Run your fingernail across the coin. There's no shame in being wrong....it's normal for people who are new to coins. Trust me, I've been there.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a short video of it in good light and focus. Turn it over slowly, too it sideways and zoom in a little.
There are better ways to show a coin than a single picture.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the OP is serious but inexperienced about coins and wants to make sure he doesn't do something irreversible or miss out on anything valuable. That is understandable but most people here are trying to save the OP the cost of submitting it for confirmation. It is defintely glue of some sort.

They could probably reproduce the defect themselves by gluing two cents together, probably with Elmers white glue, that dries clear. Or possibly super glue.

It sounds like soaking was suggested to test it and convince him it is not a mint error. An over night soak in Acetone will not damage the metal part of the coin (acetone comes in a metal can). It will however remove most nonmetal substances that may be on the coin. The mint will not use a product that won't stand the test of time (except zinc of course :icon_scratch:) so it should answer the OP's concerns if it comes off in a soak.

It is their $ to spend however they want but personally, I would not send it in.

Best of luck whatever they decide.

OP
OP
J

jailedLincon87

Nov 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I have to say it,,, IT was fake, What a nightmare,,,

OP
OP
J

jailedLincon87

Nov 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for baring with me guys,, i had to make sure

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Learning can be costly. In several ways.

How did you learn it was not a genuine error?

Was the coin impaired by an adhesive, as suspected by several members?

Just curious.

Time for more coffee.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thanks for coming back with the info. Numismatics is always a learning experience, I am still learning. So fill us in on the details, and then back looking at more coins!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

people would do all sort of crazy stuff to coins, for reference I used to just use a ball peen hammer to make tiny penny dishes lol. glue them to sidewalks to mess with people. Also a roll of pennies super glued together and wrapped in a layer of tape made for quite a powerful right hook....

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck partner, for general information you can pick up a copy of Yoeman's Red Book of United States Coins.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm glad you figured it out and decided to stay with us... The people here are honest. It can appear we are being negative or jealous but if you go back and look carefully, when someone new really does find a mint error, everyone is happy for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread