Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
this was 20 years ago, okay maybe 24 or 25. My dogs, Basset and beagle mix were barking hard and it was very dark outside. I stepped out onto the porch and could tell that they had something up the tree to the left. Now these are not treeing dogs so I knew something was up and a quick shine of my light revealed a sow bear with two cubs. So I hurried back inside and got my 15 year daughter and 10 year old son so that they could see them. They were excited as we headed out, everyone had a light as we walked up to the tree. The sow wasn't excited and looked down at us, they weren't maybe 15-17 feet up.

The two cubs were hanging tightly to her sides and they also looked down. The kids were excited and spoke nervously as they watched for signs of the sow coming down. Suddenly my daughter, Beverly, let out a blood curling scream and jumped hard into me. I jerked the light around to see what had happened and immediately heard my son laughing hard. Standing right behind where Beverly had been standing was Oscar, our dark chocolate Lab. Beverly was still wearing her basketball shorts and Oscar had stuck his cold wet nose to the back of her inner knee. Oscar was just standing there, wagging his tail as he checked out what we were looking at. Of course everyone at school the next day heard about it as my son had to tell the story to everyone. When the bear came down, the little dogs scattered and kept their distance. It has always amazed me as to what a cold wet nose can do, especially in the dark. DL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread