Names you wouldn't & shouldn't name your' kids as they may live up to that name!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sure we all have read or heard about someone with an odd name or even heard a parent/relative/friend call out to someone with an odd name! Some names should never be given to kids as they may live up to those names. I will tell you my story and then hope you all have similar stories to share.

When my brother-in-law retired from the U.S. Navy at NAAS Meridian in June of 1968, we moved to Sevier County in Tennessee to his' home he had built on family property. In September of 1968, I enrolled in and started the 8th Grade (yeah, I had flunked two grades from playing hooky from school in the 5th and 6th grades) at Pittman Center Elementary School in the Pittman Center Community at the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. There were a lot kids in the school who descended from the old pioneer settlers with names such as the Partons, Ogles, Ownbys, Branhams, Bohanons, Kings, Ramseys and more. And in case you were wondering, Randy...Butch (David)...Rachael and Stella, Dolly Parton's brothers and sisters went to the same school. All during the Fall and Winter, a boy who was about 14 or 15 years old would pass by the school at least 2 to 3 days a week going to a store, then would pass back by on his way home. Sometime in the Spring of 1969, my friend Jess Ramsey and myself were standing by the windows looking across Webbs Creek Road at Webbs Creek and discussing to come back some weekend to Trout fish in Webbs Creek which had quite a lot of native Trout in it. While standing there talking, this same boy passed by the school on his way home. Nonchalantly, I asked Jess if he knew who the boy was and why the boy did not attend school at our school. Jess quickly piped in and stated, "oh yeah, that is my cousin and would you go to school if your' name was June Bug Branham"!!?? Yep, the poor boy was given that name by his' parents which were not quite right in the head which I learned at a later time when I met them. Well, fast forward to about 1970 and June Bug and his' parents had moved to Cosby, Tennessee near the Cosby Straight. Sometime that year, June Bug started helping out at a Small Engine Repair Shop on the Cosby Straight (a two mile straight stretch of highway with sharp curves at each end) and got into souping up Mini-Bikes to race his friends. He worked very hard on a Mini-Bike that he had purchased to make it the fastest Mini-Bike in the area. One day, he pulled the Mini-Bike next to the highway (Highway 73/321) and was revving the engine. Well, June Bug seeing that no cars were coming, or so he thought, popped a wheelie and went out onto the highway. About the same time, a car driven by a lady came around the curve coming from Newport and was doing about 70 miles per hour. The lady saw June Bug on the Mini-Bike and thought he would stay in the West bound lane, so she drove into the East bound lane to avoid hitting June Bug. However, June Bug reacted about the same time and also drove into the East bound lane on his' Mini-Bike. Needless to say, the lady's car hit June Bug from behind which catapulted him into the air and as a result, the lady's car hit him 3 to 5 more times before she could come to a stop. Poor June Bug survived being hit but spent nearly a year and a half in the hospital because almost every bone in his' body was broke, shattered or fractured during the accident. I saw poor June Bug in 1972 sometime before I entered the U.S. Army and the poor soul was humped over and walking with two walking canes like and old man and even though he was only around 18 or 19 years old, he looked like an old man. For years and years, folks around the area that knew of June Bug and what had happened to him, would always say "that boy is dizzy as a June Bug on a piece of thread".

So, the moral of this story, is to beware of what name you choose to give your' children as they may actually live up to their' name.

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My name is Randy Dickey I told my Mom I was naming my son Harry. She had a cow but it was never in the cards anyway. His name is Troy

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any similar stories...But my wifes name is Mary Ray ...... She hates it!!! :laughing7: Her mom picked the middle name after an uncle. Her family calls her that and I can see her cringe every
time. haha My cousin named his daughter after a car. My step bro wanted to name his daughter Harley because he had a Harley and their last name is Ryder. So her name would have been Harley Ryder...:laughing7: Luckily!! My step mom talked him out of that!!1

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Just call me Mike Oxlong.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just call me Mike Oxlong.

There is that tomb stone pic that shows up on the net from time to time that has the name of "Richard Head" on it too! My wife has a cousin with the name Mike Hunt. :laughing7: Like parents didn't think of this when they named their kid? :laughing7:

Added... My wife just reminded me of one...We had a Teacher named Mr. Slicker. his first name was Dick... Not good when students find that out and of course we all did! That poor guy got all kinds of jokes and things written on the board for him when he was out of the room. I completely forgot about that until she reminded me. He was a farmer too. So, the jokes were endless and creative. Now looking back I feel bad for some of the stuff we wrote..Poor guy just wanted to teach and had a room full of idiots. He took a lot of abuse.

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my friends from college was a from a long line of people named "dick dick". They had Richard Johnson, Peter Johnson, and finally my friend Willy Johnson. On a related note a kid from the next town over was named Richard Head. Also from that town was a girl my age named, and I kid you not on this one, Shatauna Bush:laughing9:. Then I spent a few summers working in a college admissions office. Quite a few interesting names out there, Two that stuck out in my mind were Starmoon(forgot the last name) and another was Pretti Panda.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First Name only: "Special Treasure"

Honestly, some of these parents should just name them "Mental Patient" and get it over with.

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Mike Hunt comes from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." :laughing7:
I do agree with the subject at hand as there was a fellow who became a full blown alcoholic and his name was Ryan Coke. Cruel parents!

Out here in Mennonite country we have a surname of Dyck and I know an older fellow with that surname and his first name is Harry.
A common joke with the surname Friesen and the first name is Dick (lot's of Mennonites with that name) and standing at Portage and Main (Winnipeg) in the winter.
This is one of the coldest, windiest corners in Canada and the guy standing there is Dick Friesen!
Brrrrr!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My story is not as entertaining as some of these, but my last name is Rose and I'm short at 5 ft. 4". I enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1976. I marched in platoon the last man in the 4th squad. Recruits were placed in formation from the tallest being in front to the shortest to the rear. Being one of the shortest in our platoon with the last name of Rose could sometimes put you in range of the Ridicule Radar. My Drill Instructors had fun with this and I heard the name Miss Rose far too many times throughout boot camp. I hated those guys. Lol

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a few interesting names in my classroom from time to time but one of my favorites was a young man named Starbuck. I figure his parents were either old hippies who had smoked a bit too much of the devil's lettuce or were really into expensive coffee.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My story is not as entertaining as some of these, but my last name is Rose and I'm short at 5 ft. 4". I enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1976. I marched in platoon the last man in the 4th squad. Recruits were placed in formation from the tallest being in front to the shortest to the rear. Being one of the shortest in our platoon with the last name of Rose could sometimes put you in range of the Ridicule Radar. My Drill Instructors had fun with this and I heard the name Miss Rose far too many times throughout boot camp. I hated those guys. Lol

There was a rose when I was going through boot camp. You weren't at P. I. in 75 were you?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Names in my family used to mean something, and they were a way of remembering family history. My first name comes from a great uncle who got his from another uncle who was named after the general of the confederacy. My middle name comes from my grandpa from Martin Luther who tore up the Catholic Church. My kids got three first names which was a family custom before, and I wanted solid respectable names so they are Walter and Katherine, which are family names. I told them they could go by whatever nickname they wanted, but remember, that someday if they were elected president, it wouldn't be president Amber Dawn Winterfall.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny. Thanks guys. I needed that. It's STILL raining here and I'm very thankful it's not snow.

Anyway, on an aside, I got a kick out of a placemat I had a long time ago at a now long closed restaurant in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Some of the place names in that county are, well, different, for instance:

Puseyville, Intercourse, Mount Hope, Mount Joy, Leacock, Lampeter, Peach Bottom, and if there are any more, never mind. Now please realize these are small places.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kid you not went to school with a Dick Burns and Steve Kladourous (he was greek)

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My doctor that performs my colonoscopy every 5 years name is Dr. Brian Pugh he was destined to be a gastroenterologist.

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
After getting out of the U.S. Army in 1978, I worked for Sears Termite Pest Control for a short time. While searching for a home in the Maryville, Tennessee area that I was scheduled to inspect for Termites and other Pests, I drove by a mailbox that had the name of "Cough Ehrenzerer" or something like that. I even backed up and looked at the name again. It is hard to say for a fact that it was someone's name or just a joke but I often thought it might be a name of some new Cough Suppressant.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread