Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one head belonged to the buck. The other head was ....just along for the ride....... ???

5bf037e3fc7e93f9178b457f.jpg

https://www.rt.com/usa/444269-two-head-dear-hunt-kentucky/?utm_source=miximedia&utm_medium=miximedia&utm_campaign=Miximedia

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is this where the old saying that "two heads are better than one" comes from?

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is rare but not unheard of. A couple years ago in Wisconsin there was two deer entangled, one of them dead, and a do-gooder ran it down with a cordless Sawzall to free up the living

Imagine though, these two deer got caught up together, one of em probably stomped the other one to death, eventually stomping off most of the offending body. Meanwhile, the survivor did not get stomped to death, did not starve to death, and was not eaten by coyotes. That is one TOUGH DEER!!!

But what's a taxidermist supposed to do with that?

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
image your setting in your stand and that came tromping through the woods

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i don't think i would be eating that one..

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i don't think i would keep it

Then why did you shoot it?
:tongue3:
That one needs to be mounted. Maybe euro-mount the deader one and stuff the livelier one? It would be a total pain in the azz. The taxidermist would need to boil off or pick off all that dead rotten flesh without taking it apart. The last thing in the world that you would want is to take those deer apart. But the finished mount would be rare and valuable.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
i bet he never felt lonely. i bet they had discrepancy"s ? should we go this way or that way ? oh screw you we're going that way.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would make one badass mount. That was one tough deer just to put up with the stankin' for several days.

Brings to mind an old song by 10CC.

Last edited:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would make an awesome European Mount

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Then why did you shoot it?
:tongue3:
That one needs to be mounted. Maybe euro-mount the deader one and stuff the livelier one? It would be a total pain in the azz. The taxidermist would need to boil off or pick off all that dead rotten flesh without taking it apart. The last thing in the world that you would want is to take those deer apart. But the finished mount would be rare and valuable.
That’s a taxidermist’s problem. Your EU idea is the same as mine, easy and cool!
Northwestern school of Taxidermy, class of ‘75.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Mother nature can be cruel at times. Sad to see that.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a taxidermist’s problem. Your EU idea is the same as mine, easy and cool!
Northwestern school of Taxidermy, class of ‘75.

Self taught taxidermist here. A friend and I did a large mink about a decade go. Skinned it, non-iodized salt and borax, wring out the oil, salt and borax, wring out the oil, repeat. Filled it up with Great Stuff Foam, the window and door formula. Turned out the right shape and all, did not smell, but we could not get it to look like a mink. Could not get the ears to stand right and the jaw was a little screwy.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The easy and in my opinion far better looking way to do a European mount cheap and easy is to bury the skull in compost and cover the antlers to keep squirrels from chewing on them and let the worms and flies deflesh it. Then you don't get that unnatural bleached look.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Self taught taxidermist here. A friend and I did a large mink about a decade go. Skinned it, non-iodized salt and borax, wring out the oil, salt and borax, wring out the oil, repeat. Filled it up with Great Stuff Foam, the window and door formula. Turned out the right shape and all, did not smell, but we could not get it to look like a mink. Could not get the ears to stand right and the jaw was a little screwy.
A month ago on the way home, I unintentionally hit a big buck mink with my pickup. Stopped and observed the animal was in good shaped, and tossed it in the back of truck. When I arrived home, that big weasel was wide awake (but seriously injured) and watching me with beady eyes. I quickly put an end to that and now the pelt is being prepped for home tanning.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I heard the same type of story in southern Vermont about 20 years ago from some old hunting buddies, creepy

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve heard of but never actually seen this before until now. Wow! Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread