A seeded hunt for the little grandkids, mayhem in the dirt!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When the kids show up with all of the smaller grandkids (3-6 YO), it pays to have something to keep them occupied with. I take a lot of my mangled coins as well as some good ones and I seed the ground in a soft area. I just take my Sampson and stick it in the ground about an inch or two and drop the coin in the open slot then mash it back with my shoe. I then take the little ones, each armed with a plastic digger.

The hard part is only having three pin pointers so they have to take turns, three at a time. I then use my detector to "find" a target spot and one kid is assigned that one. It quickly turns into dirt flying everywhere and sometimes I have to really locate where the coin was thrown out to. We have a "treasure box" that the coins are dropped into as they find them.

The only drawbacks are when a bug or a worm is found and that takes over for the moment. Being little, they are excited about finding the treasure and filling up that box. It may get more involved in another couple of years but that's okay too. I forgot, I do slip in some of the old match box cars and such for them to find too, bigger hit with them. Anyways, it is a big Hoot for everyone to watch.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great idea and story...Thank You for sharing! :occasion14:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When people ask me about detecting and say they are interested in a detector for themselves, I tell them a bonus of having a detector is if they have kids and they start getting on their nerves they can throw a handful of change in the yard and let the kids go to town.LOL but on the serious side I think it is great to do that with your grandkids.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post good job

Digger Pop

Mar 10, 2018
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did something similar. I seeded my side yard with loose change a couple years ago. The grandsons call it the honeyhole. They take the pinpointers out there and go to town.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread