Very strange lines in the ground and what I found there...

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like maybe at one time someone had tried a grape vineyard or an orchard, in the old days they planted with the lay of the land they didn't have the modern equipment like today so if the ground was to hard to plow they went around something and it could leave pretty strange lines.

OP
OP
Goldstar1

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like maybe at one time someone had tried a grape vineyard or an orchard, in the old days they planted with the lay of the land they didn't have the modern equipment like today so if the ground was to hard to plow they went around something and it could leave pretty strange lines.
Thanks for the input , the lines only show up in 2009 on satellite so that rules out any older cause for them , believe me I have tried to come up with an explanation but every time I think I might be able to explain them something contradicts it. I thought of the grazing idea too but there is such a distinct pattern , I have never seen or heard of a winding consistent grazing pattern like that.

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like the alluvial fan cow trails patterns that are quite common in my area. Oh ... wait... no.... : It's due to spooks. Durn them spooks after all . :dontknow:
Only deer in that area, there are a lot of cows down the road and up the canyon and no patterns like that anywhere. Tom send a local of the area i would like to see what it looks like, thanks.

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe pot hunters dozing the land looking for artifacts

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some of the patterns are pixelation from the angle of the camera (In computer graphics, pixelation (or pixellation in British English) is caused by displaying a bitmap or a section of a bitmap at such a large size that individual pixels, small single-colored square display elements that comprise the bitmap, are visible. Such an image is said to be pixelated (pixellated in the UK).

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda like crop circles

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Only deer in that area, there are a lot of cows down the road and up the canyon and no patterns like that anywhere. Tom send a local of the area i would like to see what it looks like, thanks.

I just did a quick look at the current google satellite pix of my area. But it seems they were all done during a spring season (everything fairly green). So unfortunately, I'm not able to capture something right now.

So I was about to start scanning other parts, of ours or other states, where there is cattle business, to find an example. But instead, I just made it simple and went to google images. Typed in "cow paths". And here's an example of a hit:

OsterhorngruppeGruberalmKuhtritt1.jpg

As you can see: Perfectly logical explanation. But .... no ... this makes me a "troll" now, right ? :dontknow: Sheesk.

OP
OP
Goldstar1

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe pot hunters dozing the land looking for artifacts
No definitely not dozers , like I said there is no real disturbance in the ground or vegetation, no signs of being compacted like a trail or road.
I did entertain the theory of artifact hunters on foot but again no signs of a trail or compacted ground or vegetation, and the pattern is too consistent and covers such a large area.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Kinda like crop circles

Which all invariably turn out to be explained and hoaxes, eh ?

We had some in my area years ago. The newspaper made a big article about them . Some pilots spotted them from the air and photographed them. By that night and the next day, scores of people showed up to see them up close. Even doing incantations, meditating, invoking new-age chantings (or whatever it is they do), blah blah blah . Certain that space aliens or spooks had visited. Letters to the editors in the next days paper were filled with all sorts of mystical or UFO musings.

A few days later, the hoax and method was revealed. No one ever heard from the "musers" after that ???

OP
OP
Goldstar1

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some of the patterns are pixelation from the angle of the camera (In computer graphics, pixelation (or pixellation in British English) is caused by displaying a bitmap or a section of a bitmap at such a large size that individual pixels, small single-colored square display elements that comprise the bitmap, are visible. Such an image is said to be pixelated (pixellated in the UK).
Yes there is defiantly pixelation or whatever you want to call it from screen lines from the photos of the screen , I wish I could get a better picture without those but just try to ignore them and focus on the actual lines on the ground .

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Be aware, that EVEN THOUGH SOMETHING CAN'T BE explained (ie.: the skeptics to "put it to rest with a scientific explanation), does NOT mean: "Ergo: Spooks" (or UFO or treasure or whatever).

This would be shifting the burden of proof. It's kind of like the Oak Island psychology: Some curious unexplained object (or symmetry, or out of place rock, or squiggly line carved on a tree, or .... whatever) is present. The treasure believers say this is evidence of a treasure. And when a skeptic goes to try to "explain away" the anomoly, it becomes very easy for the musers to play 'wackamo' and likewise ... explain away the explanation. Ie.: to show that ... whatever potential explanation the skeptic gives, didn't, likewise, hold merit.

And each time the musers/believers can do that, it only FURTHERS their notion of "treasure".

I'm not saying, that you are saying/musing, that your O.P. satellite pix meant "treasure" (so don't get "lost in the example"). Just saying that it's easy to fill-in-the-blanks (anything un-explainable) with things that we want (subconsciously) to muse. If it were a theological discussion, this is known as a "God of the gaps" debate argument. Ie.: anything we can't explain, gets attributed to God (ie.: a proof of theism). Then a century later, when perfectly logical explanations arise (for lightening, earthquakes, etc...) then the theists/believers look mighty silly. For having filled those "gaps" with "God". Again, don't get "lost in the example" (I realize this isn't a discussion of theism/atheism). But just pointing out the easy trick of the mind.

OP
OP
Goldstar1

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did a quick look at the current google satellite pix of my area. But it seems they were all done during a spring season (everything fairly green). So unfortunately, I'm not able to capture something right now.

So I was about to start scanning other parts, of ours or other states, where there is cattle business, to find an example. But instead, I just made it simple and went to google images. Typed in "cow paths". And here's an example of a hit:

OsterhorngruppeGruberalmKuhtritt1.jpg

As you can see: Perfectly logical explanation. But .... no ... this makes me a "troll" now, right ? :dontknow: Sheesk.

I know this was mostly a reply to Mineshaft but I dont think they look like the pictures he posted and they definitely don't look anything like the ones I posted. I see cattle , sheep and game trails all the time like you posted. I have never seen anything where animals meander in strange wavy consistent lines like the ones I posted. I am sure there is an explanation logical or otherwise and thats what I am looking for . I am open to any ideas that make sense .
As for the troll comment, I dont know why the hell you brought up the Knights Templar , that's just absurd, I never suggested they had anything to do with this LOL

OP
OP
Goldstar1

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be aware, that EVEN THOUGH SOMETHING CAN'T BE explained (ie.: the skeptics to "put it to rest with a scientific explanation), does NOT mean: "Ergo: Spooks" (or UFO or treasure or whatever).

This would be shifting the burden of proof. It's kind of like the Oak Island psychology: Some curious unexplained object (or symmetry, or out of place rock, or squiggly line carved on a tree, or .... whatever) is present. The treasure believers say this is evidence of a treasure. And when a skeptic goes to try to "explain away" the anomoly, it becomes very easy for the musers to play 'wackamo' and likewise ... explain away the explanation. Ie.: to show that ... whatever potential explanation the skeptic gives, didn't, likewise, hold merit.

And each time the musers/believers can do that, it only FURTHERS their notion of "treasure".

I'm not saying, that you are saying/musing, that your O.P. satellite pix meant "treasure" (so don't get "lost in the example"). Just saying that it's easy to fill-in-the-blanks (anything un-explainable) with things that we want (subconsciously) to muse. If it were a theological discussion, this is known as a "God of the gaps" debate argument. Ie.: anything we can't explain, gets attributed to God (ie.: a proof of theism). Then a century later, when perfectly logical explanations arise (for lightening, earthquakes, etc...) then the theists/believers look mighty silly. For having filled those "gaps" with "God". Again, don't get "lost in the example" (I realize this isn't a discussion of theism/atheism). But just pointing out the easy trick of the mind.
I get where you are coming from Tom but I havent suggested the lines have anything to do with treasure or aliens ect. in fact I havent suggested that i have any clue as to what created them but they are there and seen very strange. I included the pictures of the worm like things because it is odd that they appear in the satellite images for several years then disappear right when the lines show up in the satellite images , coincidence ? Maybe I dont know.

I really just started this thread because I thought it would be fun for people and also wanted to get other members ideas and if anyone has seen something that matches these patterns . I hope people are enjoying it , I am. :occasion14:

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Goldstar1, what does that area look like today on google maps or earth ? thanks. The photos i posted are not game trails or grazing i think its a die off of a certain plant or something but i cant be sure.

Last edited:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wildlife/cattle trails seems sensible, perhaps exacerbated by erosion from heavy rainfall episodes?

If not, I'm placing my money on GRABOIDS!!! :laughing7:
Tremors-3-tremors-31149240-1024-768.jpg

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this was mostly a reply to Mineshaft but I dont think they look like the pictures he posted and they definitely don't look anything like the ones I posted. I see cattle , sheep and game trails all the time like you posted. I have never seen anything where animals meander in strange wavy consistent lines like the ones I posted. I am sure there is an explanation logical or otherwise and thats what I am looking for . I am open to any ideas that make sense .
As for the troll comment, I dont know why the hell you brought up the Knights Templar , that's just absurd, I never suggested they had anything to do with this LOL

You will have to forgive tom lol. He has an uncontrollable urge to use logic and the scientific method to rip misguided dreams to shreds. While blunt and sometimes unable to understand social interaction skills, he always is good for bringing in a different viewpoint with sound reasoning. He jumped at the word paranormal for sure, as well others remarks, and ran with it. I like tom, but he does take some getting used to lol. Pretty much just accept that any mention of dowsing, conspiracies, asking for permission to detect on public land, and so on will bring out a compulsory response from tom with another viewpoint. No offense tom, just gotta get the newer members used to you is all:thumbsup:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I get where you are coming from Tom but I havent suggested the lines have anything to do with treasure or aliens ect....

Yes. And I acknowledged that. But if you've read md'ing forums for awhile, you will see that there are scores of dreamy eyed treasure-hunters who .... humorously ... see "signs and symbols" in some of the most mundane things. Especially when it involves the big-ticket legends. Ie.: any squiggly line in the landscape is supposed to "point to a treasure". They are always looking for clues in cryptograms, smybolisms, carvings, hidden meanings, etc... All in the context of treasure.

But yes, I agree that your post wasn't suggesting that. But this is an md'ing forum, after all. So all of us readers here are TH'ing / md'ing buffs. So ... just wanted to point out, that for starters, it doesn't mean anything for our hobby. And is no doubt going to turn out to be some tame innocuous logical explanation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread