Questions about satellite phone and internet

JimJ

Mar 24, 2016
Metz, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, At Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our phone has been out most of the time since September. They come and repair a place in the lines and by the next day there is so much static and crossed lines it makes the phone unusable. I have had 7 trouble tickets put in and it takes our telephone company 15 to twenty days to work us into their repair queue. Our internet service is so slow we cannot even do a speedtest without it timing out. The company we use is the only provider for our area unless we go to satellite service.
So anyone have used the services for satellite and how do you like it? I hate to give up landline but it becoming a real issue with not being able to communicate especially for my wife whose mother is in the hospital.
Thanks everyone for your responses!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a dish service for telephone (land line), television and internet. I like it a LOT. We do lose TV if a thunderstorm passes through. But where we live we lose electricity about monthly anyway.

The other option is Spectrum cable that came through two years ago. Our neighbors on either side switched to that. And they are miserable with it. They started out at a lower rate but it has far exceeded what they were paying. The cable truck is in one of their driveways or the other at least once a month.

OP
OP
JimJ

JimJ

Mar 24, 2016
Metz, WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Charlie. Two of my closest neighbors have switched and they also like it. I know we would lose service during bad weather but right now we have no reliable service everyday all day. We have had satellite TV for years and have had very little problems with it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't notice any difference in Internet speed vs our T1 (RoadRunner) line here at work. I just switched to an iMac in October and uploaded a BUNCH of images to "the Cloud" off my old Dell and it flew right along.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Not a wire to our house in almost 20 years.

DirecTV (sattellite) for television, and ATT’s Homebase cellular data. Four users online at any one time. My son is a gamer. Getting around 50megs down and up. Bundling gets the best rates.

Really depends on data usage/fees. We easily go through 100 gigs per month, which for some is not much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimJ

JimJ

Mar 24, 2016
Metz, WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Charlie and fistfulladirt you both have been a big help with your input.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We installed Viasat satellite internet with a landline at our mountain cabin in June. We had no other options in this location. So far it has worked great and we have no complaint.
I have read many horror stories about satellite internet, but so far we've had no problem.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We installed Viasat satellite internet with a landline at our mountain cabin in June. We had no other options in this location. So far it has worked great and we have no complaint.
I have read many horror stories about satellite internet, but so far we've had no problem.
Also, we very seldom use the landline because we are able to use Wi-Fi calling on our cell phones. We have considered doing away with it but it's nice to have the answering machine.

OP
OP
JimJ

JimJ

Mar 24, 2016
Metz, WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, put the order in this evening and. Going to schedule the installation. Sucks having to drive 12 miles to use the cell. Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread