Non-Metallic Digging Tool (Survey)

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been doing some R&D the last 3-5 months on a Non-Metallic digging tool I designed and would like to sell on the TN website. Looked around on the TN site...but could not find a "Survey" function anywhere...??? So thought I'd throw a picture out there and see what kind of interest there might be in the metal detecting world. Currently working with a local company to produce a sheath for said digging tool. Anyway...please respond with your thoughts...feedback...and or price point questions for both items. Have 5 different handle colors (Black, Orange, Green, Red, Blue)

Got-Good-Tones

Attachments

• B.U.D.T. (AKA - Butt Ugly Digging Tool).jpg
    B.U.D.T. (AKA - Butt Ugly Digging Tool).jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 90
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Got-Good-Tones,

Interesting design! IMHO: The digger will need to be thoroughly tested in real world condition with multiple users...very important part of the engineering design process. After this testing it's either off manufacturing or to redesign. I do not know what software you are using for CAD, but if its Autodesk Inventor you can run a FEA on the object to determine weak areas in the design. Good Luck in your new product!

Regards,

Doc

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I first started detecting I tried a plastic Campmor camping trowel, thinking it would be easy to wipe it under the coil.

But it proved worthless in the local soil. Maybe in sand it would have been OK.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people will use their digging tool to pry on things occasionally such as roots, large pieces of metal, etc. How does it stand up to heavy pry pressure?

OP
OP
G

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep...I've been testing in real world conditions. I've actually been abusing the hell out of it to see if I could break it...LOL Checking into the "GoFundMe" site to see about seed money to buy the equipment so I could mass produce it...About the only thing I've noticed so far is the tip gets a little bit rounded off from use...but you can fix that by just hitting it with a flat sanding disk.

OP
OP
G

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
flinthunter,

I have not been able to break it yet...and I've been trying to break it...no luck as of yet in breaking it...

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
flinthunter,

I have not been able to break it yet...and I've been trying to break it...no luck as of yet in breaking it...

Hi , Unless your digger has the qualities and hardness as Tempered Implement Steel and which you can get for free from junk yards and farms . You may want to reconsider. TP

OP
OP
G

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan,

That's why it is Non-Metallic...so you don't scratch any possible "Really Good/Rare & Valuable Coins"...with any kind of "Steel" you stand a very good chance of nicking/gouging said valuable coins...while digging around in the hole...
[h=2][/h]

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan,

That's why it is Non-Metallic...so you don't scratch any possible "Really Good/Rare & Valuable Coins"...with any kind of "Steel" you stand a very good chance of nicking/gouging said valuable coins...while digging around in the hole...

Hi , How many Rare coins do you think are in ground. The fact that ground conditions damage coins naturally reducing their value . Unless you have tried to dig a coin out of clay shale bank which is not the hardest ground I think you need to do more testing. . TP

PS I know how to retrieve any target from the ground without marking it. TP

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been doing some R&D the last 3-5 months on a Non-Metallic digging tool I designed and would like to sell on the TN website. Looked around on the TN site...but could not find a "Survey" function anywhere...??? So thought I'd throw a picture out there and see what kind of interest there might be in the metal detecting world. Currently working with a local company to produce a sheath for said digging tool. Anyway...please respond with your thoughts...feedback...and or price point questions for both items. Have 5 different handle colors (Black, Orange, Green, Red, Blue)

Got-Good-Tones

Hi , How do I use your design to retrieve a target at 7 inches which is a very modest depth for most modern metal detectors. So how you are more worried by handle colours than actual practical use. TP

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Most people will use their digging tool to pry on things occasionally such as roots, large pieces of metal, etc. How does it stand up to heavy pry pressure?

If he's using the correct plastic, it will withstand a rather surprising amount of abuse.

Not my field, but I took a deep dive about a year ago for some stuff at work. Those engineering plastics should be redefining the way that we think about plastics, but it seems that nobody working outside of a few fields ever hears about them. This makes me sad.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your photo makes your tool look like a square solid peg, with a chisel end. If that is so, it won't actually cut into the soil, You would be basically trying to shove a peg into the ground. So, as a surface coin popping tool, it may work fine. If you're cutting a plug, I don't think so. As for handle color, just a bright orange or yellow, so you can find it. Good luck to you.

OP
OP
G

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan,

Quite a few really old coins still coming up out of the ground just recently...from what I can see on just TN...quite a few other metal detecting sites out there as well...Not worried about handle covers per se...just giving folks an option should they want a different color handle. Digger would come into action after digging plug and still unable to find target...like in or under tree roots...etc...etc or soil conditions that really suck...

OP
OP
G

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Krey Gelder,

Tool would come into action after digging plug...Yep...pretty much a square solid peg with a chisel end. Handle colors list is just for reference in case somebody wanted a different color handle.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
perhaps a step back to reconsider . . . .
the difficulty is 'magnetic', not 'metallic' (see above posters re technique)
suggest looking at titanium (ebay)
Bill

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Krey Gelder,

Tool would come into action after digging plug...Yep...pretty much a square solid peg with a chisel end. Handle colors list is just for reference in case somebody wanted a different color handle.

hmmm, you can use a brass probe for that. I would venture to say most coins get damaged when digging a plug.

but you are doing the right thing, getting feedback from this forum. Better learn from the experienced forum users to save your money. But of course if you go the go fund me route, well that is using other peoples money.

OP
OP
G

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pulltabfelix,

You hit it on the nail head...which is exactly what I'm doing...just trying to gauge interest, get some feedback...good, bad or indifferent...Also trying to see what price point most metal detector folks would be willing to pay? Folks use "GoFundMe" all the time for for various projects...for instance the "Flow Hive"...pretty cool startup funded by "GoFundMe"...Honey on Tap...:headbang: :headbang:

So anyway I figured it would be a good way to get some seed money for my project...buy needed equipment...pretty good stock of material to manufacture the digging tool...etc...etc.

Got-Good-Tones

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pulltabfelix,

You hit it on the nail head...which is exactly what I'm doing...just trying to gauge interest, get some feedback...good, bad or indifferent...Also trying to see what price point most metal detector folks would be willing to pay? Folks use "GoFundMe" all the time for for various projects...for instance the "Flow Hive"...pretty cool startup funded by "GoFundMe"...Honey on Tap...:headbang: :headbang:

So anyway I figured it would be a good way to get some seed money for my project...buy needed equipment...pretty good stock of material to manufacture the digging tool...etc...etc.

Got-Good-Tones

Hi, I make digging tool out a cheap natural resource that will cost nothing and is environmentally safe . Heavy kiln dried bamboo cane. Used for over 3000 years and sell cheap and donate a small amount of the money made to SAVE THE PANDA . Tax deduction and bettef sales pitch than you. No liability or loss . I can play this too TP

OP
OP
G

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan,

Hey...what ever make you happy...:headbang: :headbang:

Got-Good-Tones

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send some out to a few of us Ill put it to the test my lesche has lasted 1 and a half year I broke everything else you get a few of us to do a review then you will have some good cred. Trust me on this Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread