Need more ideas in locating a Park

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are trying to find a park in Michigan. The park dates from the late 1800's to the end of World War 1. We have tried Ancient map works , The county map offices , Auditors office . The park required a river boat ride 2 to 3 miles was said to be the PLACE to PARTY. To this day we can not come up with any helpful. I have talked to my Uncle (98 years old and he can not remember it) We know the name of the park but are not having any luck. Do any of you know ways to locate such a place ? You also realize why we are not saying it's name.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know if there are any other names for the park? Perhaps the name you have is not correct.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Post the name of it, county and what you figure the nearest town is plus IDing land marks. Folks on here will likely be able to help out rather fast.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe the best way to find it is with boots on the ground. More exciting that way. Best of luck with finding its location.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parks change names over time. One park in my area changed names 2 times in the last 50 years. Another park in my area was founded in 1905-1910 and was in use for 50 years is now a VFW post. The park you are looking for may now be streets and homes or a wooded area now. Ask some old timers or go to the historical society in the area and ask questions.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to suggest the local historical society also. My historical society just had a meeting two days ago and one of the “older” ladies talked about her swimming coach and in 1928 she taught her to swim. She described the “swimming hole” in the river. Half the crowd knew where she was talking about, except me. I am going to do a little research. Maybe it has never been hunted.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes we know of 2 parks names for it. My uncle lived in the town for almost 60 years. He is now 98 and does not remember either name. My uncle was born in 1920. We we hoping someone could give us some ideas to use. We do not want someone finding it for us and i think you all can understand

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just throwing this out there but maybe check out some retirement homes. Bring some of your stuff you've found and share how exciting your hobby is. Ya never know might be some folks will let you m.d. their property's.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry Gare
I looked at your profile and missed the state on the post...us old guys mess up a lot !
I`m sure Michigan is in there .
Gary

Last edited:

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try this, If you can narrow the town, or even go town by town, google FULL TEXT then Enter town name, then state initials, then type history.

So example would be "FULL TEXT Detroit MI History"

Then click the link to archive dot org.

Should be an online book. then press ctrl F and use the word find function to find the name of your park.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check your county website for historical maps or an old county atlas.

Or if you know a general location you can try historicaerials.com

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi County Records Local News Paper Archives Public School Records , Clubs and Organizations that may used the park for event. Servicemen records. County police and court records. County Voting records. Trade union records. Bank and other financial records. TP

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I'd try scanning through whatever the closest local newspaper would be. Will be time consuming, but if it was a legit park, there has to be mention of it at some point in time in the paper.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Find any other old parks in the area,take a look at any bushes like lilacs etc.Scout around the area you think that your park is.I have found old house sites by coming across lilac bushes,flowers,etc,growing in the middle of the woods.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want me to try and check it out I have no interest in going to the area(from ny) so i'm no threat of detecting it. I would be happy to try and take a look and see what comes up. Send me a pm with more info if you want some help.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you know if there are any other names for the park? Perhaps the name you have is not correct.

also post it on nextdoor and craigslist that is how I located two gold mines in the woods, but I could only narrow it down to about 2 sq miles and a guy answered the post and gave me explicit directions that got me with in 20 feet of each one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread