Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This was about 30 years ago and 4 wheelers were just coming out pretty well. Most people I knew that owned anything was either a dirt bike or a 3 wheeler. I had gone to a friend's, Dendin's house and he lived out in the sticks in the Shady Mountains. Dendin was happy to see me and insisted that we went on a ride. I was expecting a horse ride but then he showed me his two new Honda 4 wheelers. They were full of gas and he assured me that you could ride all day long on one tank. Now I had had lots of dirt bike experience and am still suffering from some of that even now and a little 3 wheeler time. The 3 wheelers weren't very kind to me but heck, these things had 4 wheels, what could go wrong?

We started off making our way to his "cabin" about three miles away below the north side of Fodderstack Mt. We were basically going down the old remains of an old logging road that had trees growing up in it. The mountain was to our right and was pretty steep with a branch or wet weather creek beside it. As we made our way deeper into the woods away from any road, I could see that Dendin was really checking the mountain out. Suddenly he stopped and pointed to a small finger of a ridge that was a little gentler (compared to the rest of it) going up. He started across the branch and then began going up. I was now very glad that I had put on the helmet as I slowly began to follow him. I was not seeing this as a very wise thing to do but the redneck in me said ah what the heck. We slid around in a few places but we finally made it up. Now this was a place that I had climbed numerous times to deer hunt (but secretly hoping that I didn't see anything) and it was always quite the chore. Now here we were, on top and not a drop of sweat.

Dendin was talking about all kinds of stuff but all I could think of was how we were going to get back down..alive! Finally I mentioned that it was going to be dark in a while and we really needed to get back down. Now, it would have been a lot better to have gone down where we came up but he insisted that we go down in this one spot. I almost started back to find that spot but Dendin was already yelling that it was no problem. So, I started down. Almost immediately, I was sliding downward and those brakes? They did nothing as the thick wet leaves helped me to slide even faster. Suddenly a mid sized tree stopped me and now I had to somehow get it unhung. I managed a glance downward to see him hung up too and finally I was once again in a slide downward. Now I have to admit that my butt had my underwear sucked up tight as I managed to stop against another tree.

I did this several times until I suddenly came to this low spot that I knew immediately was a bad thing but there was nothing I could do but to hold on. I can still see it in slow motion as the front end dipped downward even more and over the top I went. I knew enough to roll as fast as I could to the side and watched the upside down 4 wheeler hit and then slide down to a stop. Dendin had somehow made it to a small flat and was now hurrying up to me. I had the customary cuts and scrapes with a little blood here and there but the helmet had done its job. After he made sure that I was okay, he began grinning from ear to ear. He was loving it but all I wanted to do was to get to the bottom alive. After a few minutes, we got it upright and I began the sliding process again until we got down to the branch.

As we sat there and looked back up to where we had come down, you could see very plainly the two trails, Dendin told me that he was going to have to find a better place to get up and down but that he was going back up there. I told him that I was okay with never doing it again. He just laughed as we headed home. The 4 wheeler? needed new mirrors and a few parts straightened out but he never batted an eye. My dirt bike jumps and racing days were now over with and I had no desire to get hurt any more. I own a 4 wheeler now and it is a Honda but I take it easy and am very careful. My son calls me timid now but I don't care, he will find out soon enough about the aches and pains from youth stupidity. Dendin, his wife put her foot down after she heard what had happened to me and no more mountain top rides for him. Besides, we had to find out what it was like to run out of gas miles from any house.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some people get to have all the fun!!!!!!

Glad you got down in one piece.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowa I wanna do all that lol

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome story, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ive got 50 years in riding motocross, trail bikes, and atvs. Lots of fun, and lots of stories. It all started with a ToteGoat, anybody remember them?
Great story dirtlooter
Ride Red

I had a 76 white dodge pickup that had a big black rubber thread marks up and down the side of the bed from my son learning how to ride a 3 wheeler. He actually got pretty good with it, I seemed to struggle with turns with it and hated it. Dirt bikes, tons of fun but had some impressive wrecks from jumps. Had a helmet with rocks stuck in it, was glad I was wearing it.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Side be Side earlier this year. I use it to get around my backyard with tools and stuff. No ruffriding for me.
Good story.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha!! Love the story and thanks for writing it!! It brings back a lot of memories!!! I use to be good on anything with a motor and wheels! I've had the Honda 250R's 3 and 4 wheels, air and water cooled, a Dozen dirt bikes and probably a total of 15 quads over the years. Banshees,Quadzilla, Tecate 4's,250r's Suzuki and Honda, any two stroke race bike I could get a hold of.:laughing7: Believe it or not? Never got hurt bad enough to go to a hospital, and I was a nut!!! My Brother? He wasn't so lucky and passed away from Brain stem injury from one in 2003 Actually tomorrow is his birthday.. After that I slowed way down. I learned that we aren't invincible.

A few years back I decided to build a Tecate 4. I still love that rush and it scared me that I was starting to become Fearless again. I rode it less than a half a dozen times, it sat in the garage for a few years and I sold it. I also learned in those few rides? I'm getting older and just riding the thing made me hurt for days!!!! :laughing7:

One of the first lessons in that stuff no matter how valuable the bike is? Know when to "bail" and get away from it when it goes all wrong on a hill! haha I don't know how many guys I saw get hurt by trying to ride it out and rolling end over end down hill WITH THEIR quad! haha:laughing7:

I loved the 3 wheelers and with some of them the front wheel was just there for decoration!

I have a lot of great memories playing in the woods with friends and riding. Break downs were also part of the adventure!! Especially in the times that we were all piecing and patching together junk to go ride. No brakes, no kick starts had to bump them because the kick start mech was tore out, Bald tires. haha But take a Yamaha 465, or a honda 500 2 stroke and ride a death machine, rolling the dice if it would even make it back home!!:laughing7:

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing -- I love hearing/reading off-road stories, as I too grew up on dirt bikes and three-wheelers. I raced both over the years; and probably have owned over 100. I never had a quad though, but they look like fun.

1986_Honda_ATC250R.jpg
1990_KX-125.jpg
1989_KX-250.jpg

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haha!! Love the story and thanks for writing it!! It brings back a lot of memories!!! I use to be good on anything with a motor and wheels! I've had the Honda 250R's 3 and 4 wheels, air and water cooled, a Dozen dirt bikes and probably a total of 15 quads over the years. Banshees,Quadzilla, Tecate 4's,250r's Suzuki and Honda, any two stroke race bike I could get a hold of.:laughing7: Believe it or not? Never got hurt bad enough to go to a hospital, and I was a nut!!! My Brother? He wasn't so lucky and passed away from Brain stem injury from one in 2003 Actually tomorrow is his birthday.. After that I slowed way down. I learned that we aren't invincible.

A few years back I decided to build a Tecate 4. I still love that rush and it scared me that I was starting to become Fearless again. I rode it less than a half a dozen times, it sat in the garage for a few years and I sold it. I also learned in those few rides? I'm getting older and just riding the thing made me hurt for days!!!! :laughing7:

One of the first lessons in that stuff no matter how valuable the bike is? Know when to "bail" and get away from it when it goes all wrong on a hill! haha I don't know how many guys I saw get hurt by trying to ride it out and rolling end over end down hill WITH THEIR quad! haha:laughing7:

I loved the 3 wheelers and with some of them the front wheel was just there for decoration!

I have a lot of great memories playing in the woods with friends and riding. Break downs were also part of the adventure!! Especially in the times that we were all piecing and patching together junk to go ride. No brakes, no kick starts had to bump them because the kick start mech was tore out, Bald tires. haha But take a Yamaha 465, or a honda 500 2 stroke and ride a death machine, rolling the dice if it would even make it back home!!:laughing7:

I lost a good friend to a tree that broke his neck while "having fun" going down a "trail" on a dirt bike. He was an awesome rider and yeah, it slowed us down a bit afterwards. I went a little way too fast and leaned a little too far forward on a high jump, in the air I pushed the bike away from me and hit the hard summer clay like a bag of feed. I could hear everyone running to me and several yelling that this one probably killed me. Well it didn't, just felt that way and this has me crippled up today. But we didn't need any drugs or anything to get a rush, we created our own. Kinda like reaching back inside a hole underwater to see if a catfish was home, part of you had this thought of a snapping turtle sitting there waiting for your hand to get too close and the other was of a cottonmouth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions