Your detector is "Waterproof" and it is raining, do you still hunt?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It always kills me to see people bailing out of the water because it is raining, I mean you are in the water to get wet right? Of course lightening changes everything but I watch people hurry out with a light rain.

Most of the time, I don't detect in the rain, I am too old and don't own a wet suit. I have always preferred a waterproof detector just in case I did get caught in the rain which I have numerous times. I have history with electronics and water and the electronics always lost (to my expense.) Anyways, I get tired of the wet mud sticking to everything and making such a mess but I could see beach hunting not as messy. Heck out in the country, I have been known to grab a bar of soap and get out in the rain, why not?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, rain will not stop me.

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. I had an unexpectedly far-up-the-beach-reaching wave ruin a Teknetics detector long ago, and that kinda sucked.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Drizzle, light rain, spotty.... I'm ok with it. Once my clothes start getting soaked I'm ought of there.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When detecting I find myself wet before I know it's raining, Guess my answer is yes.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Starts raining in knee high water or waste deep means nothing buut it is easier to get away with pissing your self and no one noticing.

Sort of like tubing for hours down the river and never having to get out to go pee.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll hunt in the rain....I guess I still have webs between my toes, from living in the NW States...!
I bag my detectors, then take batteries out, unplug everything - dry things out - no problems so far...!
Snow? ....NO!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I made an ACE 250 waterproof using a waterproof box that I got for mt boat. Using it, I found my 1st class ring in about three feet of water of Lake Degray. other than that, I did the plastic bag thing and the ziplock bags trying to keep them dry. I have to get down on my knees to dig so I don't like standing water or water soaked ground. I will wear my Crocs and still hunt in wet areas but I have thick leather covered knee pads that get wet but oh well. My phone isn't water proof so I try to avoid getting it wet as well.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I own the worlds only machine that has a coil that's not even water proof, yet today I was still out there swinging it in the drizzle and wet grass. It's fine so long as I don't push my luck in heavy rain or submerge the coil.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% YES!!

In fact that's the best time to hunt if you ask me.

Nobody coming by asking if you've found a buried treasure yet, or their imaginary gold ring, or asking you to stop looking at their bikini clad girlfriend.......or so I've been told?? :tongue3:

Besides the targets sound off better in the wet weather......or at least in my opinion they do??

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I sometimes hunt in the rain with a rain coat & pants plus boots...very peaceful! :occasion14:

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as there isn't any lightning and it's not a downpour, too cold, or too muddy, I detect in the rain.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
I have a CTX and have no problem hunting in the rain. I did one submerged hunt in the spring and my “waterproof” gray ghost headphones crapped out. I sent them in (which cost $15) and they fixed them and sent them back (took a month) and told me they had a loose wire. Well, those things look loose again so I duct taped them and am back to hunting in the rain again but I don’t think I want to go full submersion with those headphones again. Not worth the headache.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck ya!! If I'm finding stuff nothing is going to stop me!! But? if I'm not finding anything I'm running for the truck!!!

Bar of soap? Why? Isn't the rain enough? :laughing7: That's how we shower sometimes when camping, soap and rain. If no rain? head to the creek! A trespasser wandering into that area will be covering their eyes and shaking their head(or go blind) when they see my wife and I in the creek takin a bath!:laughing7: Ice cold spring water too!!! They'll think there are two ladies in that water. (ya, those that have "been there done that", will understand that short joke):laughing7:

Last edited:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Since my hunting is on Florida beaches, I always get wet anyway and summer rains are just a normal part of life. Yes, I hunt in the rain but when the lightning starts, I'm outta there!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since my hunting is on Florida beaches, I always get wet anyway and summer rains are just a normal part of life. Yes, I hunt in the rain but when the lightning starts, I'm outta there!

Ditto.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Heck ya!! If I'm finding stuff nothing is going to stop me!! But? if I'm not finding anything I'm running for the truck!!!

Bar of soap? Why? Isn't the rain enough? :laughing7: That's how we shower sometimes when camping, soap and rain. If no rain? head to the creek! A trespasser wandering into that area will be covering their eyes and shaking their head(or go blind) when they see my wife and I in the creek takin a bath!:laughing7: Ice cold spring water too!!! They'll think there are two ladies in that water. (ya, those that have "been there done that", will understand that short joke):laughing7:

yeah, taken a few cold water creek baths in my time, the wife takes those a lot quicker than I do. these mountain creeks or branches as we call them can be very cold but you gotta get cleaned up or spend a lot of time standing in the campfire smoke LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread