Hometown Christmas 1948

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Image (29).jpg This picture is of Norwich, Conn. at Christmas time in 1948. It's the town where I was born and grew up. It just looks so peaceful.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could just walk out into that picture .Very nice

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm with A2! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know what street it is? I know the Norwich area a little bit. Found my oldest silver on Broad St. ( 1900 barber dime).
Nice old pic.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you know what street it is? I know the Norwich area a little bit. Found my oldest silver on Broad St. ( 1900 barber dime).
Nice old pic.
Looking straight at it, it's Main Street. if you were to turn right where the car in the right hand side of the picture is, you'd be turning on to Franklin Street. For about the last 20 years or so the city of Norwich has had a blanket ban on all metal detecting in the city limits due to the fact that at one time a Norwich coin dealer was detecting on the historic Norwich town green which annoyed the "powers that be".

Staring at that picture my blood pressure eased off ten beeps; a very relaxing scene; Thanks. I'm glad the pic helped lower your blood pressure.
Don......

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard there was a ban in Norwich, but I doubt it's enforceable on private property. I also detected a property across the street from the green, the home owner said the green has been hammered over the years. I know Mohegan park is off limits. I suspect it would only be an issue on town property, if anyone would even care.
Do you detect in Norwich at all?

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've heard there was a ban in Norwich, but I doubt it's enforceable on private property. I also detected a property across the street from the green, the home owner said the green has been hammered over the years. I know Mohegan park is off limits. I suspect it would only be an issue on town property, if anyone would even care.
Do you detect in Norwich at all?
I seriously doubt that anyone even knows there's a ban on detecting to begin with. When I started detecting back in the 1980's there was no ban and I detected a few places. I've detected all the schoolyards with decent finds including silver coins and a large cent, and I detected the Norwich town green. The green didn't produce anything significant. I detected a green up on Laurel Hill Road that gave up a pair of mercs. I also dug a few silver coins from areas in a housing project I lived in before my parents bought their house. The housing project was called Sunset Park and was located off of Dunham street. The best spot I ever hunted in Norwich was a triangular strip of grass in front of Norwich Free Academy. Back in the "old days" kids hung around it if they wanted to smoke between classes and it was also where they got on and off the busses each day. The site gave me 33 silver coins including an 1893 Barber Quarter and over 700 clad coins. I dug a spot in the downtown area called Columbus Park located at the crux of Franklin Street and Boswell Avenue. Its been quite a while since I hunted in Norwich but I have a spot I'm eager to try but it's not in the best neighborhood, if you know what I mean but maybe someday I'll give it a try. I'm sure that Mohegan park, though off limits would give up a lot of good finds because of its age.

Last edited:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually work at NFA for about a week each year removing skunks. The maintenance guy says that triangle is still a good place to hunt, the kids hang out there alot. The school though is off limits and gated after hours. I asked.

A few years ago I detected Mohegan on the beach, but they've since put up a sign of things Not to do. I did find a tiny silver ring in the tot lot that said " LOVE" on it.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool pic, Clad2Silver. Merry Christmas.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually work at NFA for about a week each year removing skunks. The maintenance guy says that triangle is still a good place to hunt, the kids hang out there alot. The school though is off limits and gated after hours. I asked.

A few years ago I detected Mohegan on the beach, but they've since put up a sign of things Not to do. I did find a tiny silver ring in the tot lot that said " LOVE" on it.
I'm sure the triangle is still a good hunt site but when they converted it to a memorial years ago, I stopped hunting it. I also hunted the big field across from the triangle known as Chelsea parade. The only thing I got out of it was modern clad. I'd bet that there's a lot of good stuff scattered all over the NFA campus grounds. I've recently hunted the grounds around Kelley Junior high and dug some clad and a Mercury dime. The soccer field in back of the school was barren. Those ball fields near Kelley JH have been in use for a long time and I'd like to hunt them. I played Little League there in 1956 and both fields attracted crowds.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/max, Explorer, CTX, Tesoro Tejon, and many other..BUT MY GO TO MACHINE= Equinox 600 stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking straight at it, it's Main Street. if you were to turn right where the car in the right hand side of the picture is, you'd be turning on to Franklin Street. For about the last 20 years or so the city of Norwich has had a blanket ban on all metal detecting in the city limits due to the fact that at one time a Norwich coin dealer was detecting on the historic Norwich town green which annoyed the "powers that be".

Hey new to this site , this is new to me...ive been hunting the green in norwich..even just last evening..ive been pulling some oldies out of there..so far 1 dateless draped bust, dateless kg ...a few indians 1897 1888 1883 1902 1906 , and a dateless fatty in bad shape..also a few rosies(7) and 1902 barber dime and a kennedy half and 2 silver washs...all deep . Tons of clad just digging the deep signals..but clad seems deep there too..no one says nothing to me...using my new equinox 800 15 coil..but last night and the last 3 times i went i didnt find anything but clad..maybe i got the last good stuff...prob wont be going back anymore now i know its not allowed..was gonna swith to chelsea parade from now on..not now ..lololo never heard such a thing ...if you dont believe me just go there and if u look close enough u may be able to see a plg or 2.(last eve).but i usually dont leave a trace....

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All that's missing is Jimmy Stewart and a sign that says "Bedford Falls"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread