Question about turning in finds to the government.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
So I was reading old banner finds, and saw a coin spill in England and the finder said he was going to turn the coins in instead of keeping them. I wanted to ask how and why do folks in certain different countries turn in the Coins they find? Then what's the point of detecting? Like are the feds going to search your house if you keep them?

It's not a violation of integrity, the government already has plenty of resources and could care less for an individual or their way of life. The way I see it if it was found on yours or someone else's property it belongs to you, how on God's green earth does it belong to the government? Because they say so?

I feel so blessed that I live in America and not under quite such a tyrannical government, where we're freer than most......

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the coins are documented and the data become useful to researchers. Small collections are usually returned to the finder, but if they are historically significant, the finder is paid for the coins. I've not seen any complaints from finders about these payments, so they are either fair or finders are just resigned to the process.

Hopefully, this thread will see some detailed responses by those who have gone through this process.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel so blessed that I live in America and not under quite such a tyrannical government, where we're freer than most......

Ditto

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... , and saw a coin spill in England and the finder said he was going to turn the coins in instead of keeping them.....

Because in some countries (like England, Mexico, etc...) the resources under the ground "belong to the queen". So ... if you discover oil on your own land, then : Unlike the Beverly Hillbilly story, you are not rich. Gold, silver, oil, etc... beneath the ground belongs to the crown, not you.

And not only mineral and natural resource wealth, but also , as you read about in England: Historical wealth. It would only apply to big ticket items (caches, extremely historical/valuable item, etc...). Not individual solo coins.

Well, let me re-phrase that : YES it would apply to individual solo coins of any value. But no ... the crown does not bother keeping those. Yet ... technically ... could keep each one (if they wanted, and d/t if it were historical/valuable).

I knew a guy who found a gold coin dated to before AD 1000, in Britain. He didn't "declare" it, or turn it in, etc.... Simply brought it back to the USA in his luggage. No biggie.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I hope no one in the US Treasury is reading this. Heck, let's not give um any ideas. :laughing7::laughing9:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:dontknow: Umm, what treasure? :coffee2:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In some European countries finds that are believed to be older than a certain date are to be turned in primarily for educational purposes so they can be studied and recorded, it has very little to do with value.

Personally I will happily hand over just about anything I find to a museum or educational institution so long as I feel confident that that's what it will be used for. All I ask in return is credit for the find.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In some European countries finds that are believed to be older than a certain date are to be turned in primarily for educational purposes so they can be studied and recorded, it has very little to do with value.

Personally I will happily hand over just about anything I find to a museum or educational institution so long as I feel confident that that's what it will be used for. All I ask in return is credit for the find.

Hey- remember when they found that dude frozen in ice, said he was some 5,000 years old, and somebody stole his wang?

What's up with that?

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
turn it what :laughing7:

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey- remember when they found that dude frozen in ice, said he was some 5,000 years old, and somebody stole his wang?

What's up with that?

You know what Jackie O got for her wedding gift from Onassis? An antique Greek Organ.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I live in an area with tons of town owned land, and do a large amount of my metal detecting there, just curious who would "legally" own the stuff found there?

OP
OP
Coincrazed

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other

What's up with that?

Well this thread sure got a lot more interesting.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in an area with tons of town owned land, and do a large amount of my metal detecting there, just curious who would "legally" own the stuff found there?

The way I see it if you find something on public land that cannot be inventoried as public property it becomes the property of the finder. For example you can't claim you found a picnic table in a park because it was fixture of the park and a part of cities inventory of public property, but the city (or other governing body) can't prove ownership of something like a ring or coin that was lost by an individual.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this thread sure got a lot more interesting.

Never mind. It turns out the reports of the missing member were unfounded.

OTZI, THE ICEMAN | Facts and Details

I imagine that if I found a dude frozen in the ice, I would probably turn it in to the authorities. But I'd have to get their wallet off their body first. You know, so I could check their ID and tell the cops who I found.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody stole his organ. It was just cold shocked back into its hiding place. Once they got him thawed out, It popped right back into place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread