Lost a good friend over a recent find. Good riddance.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While still over the moon on my recent first dug silver; an 1853 Seated Liberty dime in EF/AU condition, I posted the coin in a couple local Facebook detecting pages then posted it on my own page to share the find with friends and family.
Everything was going great, my friends and family members were nearly as excited as I was, and still am.
Then a long time friend; more than a friend actually, a man I considered a brother, the president of our local MRO, (I was his vice-president) chimed in with an offer of $15 for my 165 year old silver dime in stunning condition. I told him that the coin was not for sale but if it were, it would take no less than $80 to actually start the conversation.
At this point he began to get beligerant insisting that he'd been collecting silver for years and knows what he is talking about. Then he started with the name-calling.
Trying to keep my cool I explained that numismatic/historical values are a completely different ball game than melt or spot values and a person would be an absolute idiot to sell this coin for melt value which is only about $1.04 anyway.
More name-calling by him and "I tried to help you out... I unfriended you......" blah blah blah.
Then he texted me a picture of his silver coin hoard. Nothing but rubbed down, barely readable Mercs and Rosies. :laughing7:
What a jackass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post deleted, please post by our rules.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't miss nothing Haha. That sucks about your buddy being a jerk tho. I'd unfriend him for sure.

He unfriended me. I love it when the trash takes itself out :headbang:

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Best to find out what kind of "friend" the dude was over a dime. Would have been bad over findin a horde. Good luck.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't understand why he was upset. You told him it wasn't for sale... end of story. Why dicker over price? Seems irrelevant. Couldn't have been that close of a friend to beging withbut here is just another example of the reasons I do not do FBook.
HH
dts

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's at least partially why many of us don't sell our finds. What they are worth to us and what they are worth to others are often miles apart.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is why I don't have any friends. Well, except my ex-wives, but I pay them so.. :skullflag:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Your first silver find and you lost an internet friend.

Maybe try this, works great for me.

From now on, make sure your only friends you have are ones you have been in fire fights with. Whom ever you have the most trigger time with is your closest mate.

Suddenly drama goes out the window.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first silver find and you lost an internet friend.

Maybe try this, works great for me.

From now on, make sure your only friends you have are ones you have been in fire fights with. Whom ever you have the most trigger time with is your closest mate.

Suddenly drama goes out the window.

Unfortunately I'm a cold war vet. No action at all unless we count the beligerant drunks I had to cuff and stuff staggering out of the officers club to their cars.

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
No "friends" should act like that especially over a coin. However, you made a new friend... an 1853 Seated Liberty dime!

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is his collection. His hedge against inflation and what makes him an expert. Nothing against Mercs and Rosies, I hope to find some one day and call me crazy but I wouldn't trade my coin for that whole pile.

received_208866713373084.jpeg

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately I'm a cold war vet. No action at all unless we count the beligerant drunks I had to cuff and stuff staggering out of the officers club to their cars.

Well just think, now you can perfect the first ever Selfie of you shooting him the finger whilst holding that dime in the same hand.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"With a friend like that who needs enemies". :dontknow: Many people do not understand that we have a special interest in our finds.:icon_thumleft:

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, any decent fellow detetorist should be shaking your hand for your first silver, not try to buy it at a silly price.

Rude!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I agree, Molewacker. Nice first silver for sure and may you find a BUNCH more!

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe he has never found a seated coin and the envy was more than he could bear?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions